FS: '96 B4V Project Southern NH

eurowner

It's time for the wagon to move to another family. My Father got it used with 24k 1-1997, 9 months from brand new. He recalls it is a late 1995 build production which "NH sees as an '95 and therefore no emissions".
Always garaged, still inside today.

When he was still using the wagon as his main vehicle, it was slowly losing power. There was a garage in town that my dad really like the owner, who replaced a crap ton of parts while trying to "fix" the slow loss of power. He would charge my dad for parts that had nothing to do with the problem as he couldn't solve the loss of power situation. This went on for a few years until my dad got upset and pulled the car off the road and put it in the barn 2-2015. The shop is now gone and the guy is nowhere to be found.
He kept it as clean as could be in regards to road salt, so it has an amazingly little amount of rust, I had my hands on it 4-2017 and was impressed. He would not pay to have the car detailed, interior shampooed etc. His business was in the house I grew up in and doesn't like to travel unless absolutely necessary.
My feeling is that the intake manifold needs to be removed and gutted with atomic hellfire or replaced. Well before the loss of power, he would see 55+mpg on the highway and found the trick to add more fuel while filling up to get 1200 miles of cruising. My stepmom's family is in Pa, so he had to make the trip many times.

February 2015: Dad did remind me that the Wagon was slowly losing power, low boost over a long time. Looking over the history, I think the low power was being noticed by him by early 2010
5-'10 @ 118k Intake clean & EGR re-calibrate. (was found 9-'13 it was not done correctly) I still don't think it was done correctly.
12-'12 @ 137,197k New turbo, oil cooler, crankcase vent tube replaced.
9-'12 @ 137,205k New crank sensor, clean out intake manifold.
1-'13 @ 137,250k New injection pump & injectors.
He is very strict about maintenance schedules; OF, AF, FF, timing belt etc.
I do remember the car having other ECUs, sensors, vacuum lines, replaced/tested with no benefits. The engine wiring harness has not been replaced.
Still starts below 0*f, over 40mg on bio/clean filtered grease/diesel blends. He says the car has more power when cold around 10*f and feels that over 60mph it pulls harder & can maintain 80mph level roads. I am quite sure the cat is hollow.
No codes present.
Doug Bennet in Rye performed the 2015 NH inspection and said that the wastegate should open after 12.5psi & "all mechanical on the intake side are ok".

Pic and his handwritten history starting at 7-2000 @ 59k until he parked it in the barn 2-2015 @ 147k https://photos.app.goo.gl/RKs6zHmTB1qvIJWv1
This is a project vehicle, might not start in the barn, might not roll immediately if the brakes have rusted, with a little compassion it should move. Bring a dolly or a trailer. Clean NH title. A second set of steel wheel with summer tires, rolling on winters now, Bentley manuals, a few spares are included. Located in Lee NH.

11-10-2017: Started up with a jump and drove out of the barn, so the brakes are not seized.

SOLD

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
When was last timing belt done? Did he ever have cluster replaced,or is that the original? I noticed the miles section is all funky.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
I have the same B4V

Sorry,
[/url][/IMG]For you not finding a good mech.! I have a wagon, that looks just like yours! It will all be good. Just find the right person to work on it!!!
I have been driving mine for 5 years and I LOVE it!!

Last edited: