Bad time to buy 2014+ Q7 TDI?

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
We are looking at SUV's and need a large one. We just need something bigger than the 2010 Jetta TDI we have. I think we are just going to get the fix on that and keep the car, if they let us.

I vowed to not even consider a VW product again, but the Q7's are still pretty dang awesome looking. I think I read there is a fix for the Q7's, so I was wondering if that would be a good option to buy one. I see some on Ebay around $35-40k'ish, which I don't know if that's a good deal now or not. My wife always wanted one, but when the diesel scandal hit, she hated the news b/c she wanted a Q7 TDI.

Am I crazy to even consider a newer Q7 TDI again?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've been looking at 3.0L TDIs on and off. I think it's a great time to buy, because their future is unknown and you can use that as a negotiating point. There was a story linked here a few days ago that said 12K of the "early" 3.0L cars may be bought back. I'd look into what model years those are and avoid them. The other cars are supposed to get a fix, which of course you can ignore or reverse.

If VW is serious about not selling diesels here again this is your change to get one.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I agree with IBW. The latest generation 3.0L TDI should be fixed by a software update. I'm hoping it doesn't have a significant effect on performance or mpgs. The 3.0L diesels are fantastic. The question is what years have the latest generation. Diesel is likely to be completely phased out all together in the not too distant future. Best to hold onto the diesels that are available now.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Get it fixed and then buy a tune. My tuned Q5 averages almost 31 mpg around town and 38 highway. My wife's stock Q5 TDI averages 26 around town and 33 highway.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I think it's an excellent time to buy one. Several members here including myself have purchased Audi 3.0 liter TDI's recently.

I'm not an expert on Audis or the 3.0 TDI but I believe knowledgeable owners have stated the 2014 - 2016 are the same engine which is improved.

My Q5 TDI is an outstanding car. Smaller than the Q7 of course but very similar.

I recommend you consider the car you're interested in.

I found mine in August on cars.com. Cars.com will allow you to enter a long string of personal parameters to tailor the search to precisely what you are interested in including color, trim, year, make, model, engine, transmission, drive, miles, and other keywords.

Velo Jetta

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
I also just purchased a Audi Q5 TDI which took me forever to find one..Had two internet brokers along with 3 of the local Audi dealers looking. Finally found a good lease return with 26k on it.

Loving the 3.0 engine..A bit of a gamble but as other have said, will wait for the fix and get a tune if needed. If you can find one, grab it cause they are going quick.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I also just purchased a Audi Q5 TDI which took me forever to find one..Had two internet brokers along with 3 of the local Audi dealers looking. Finally found a good lease return with 26k on it.
Loving the 3.0 engine..A bit of a gamble but as other have said, will wait for the fix and get a tune if needed. If you can find one, grab it cause they are going quick.
We purchased a lease turn in 2014 a few weeks ago. It had 21k miles on it.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Get it fixed and then buy a tune. My tuned Q5 averages almost 31 mpg around town and 38 highway. My wife's stock Q5 TDI averages 26 around town and 33 highway.
Barry,

I'm interested in your Audi "tune." Would you please pm me some details such as what company's tune, who installed, and what was changed?

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I used JR Auto Tuning. You can load the tune yourself with a FlashZilla. It's similar to the Malone Tune. Malone Tuning would probably be easier since there's a US dealer. I read that Mark was making a new tune too.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
i believe andrew from fixmyvw sells jr auto tuning....personally with adblue and 3.0 engine it doesnt get much better then jr. I had just the tune and it was unreal and now with the turbo its an animal...i had malone on my car but this is the way to go for us 3.0 guys

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
either way its not a big deal seeing its a obd2 and email you the tune...easy peasy

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Well, it appears as though as long as you have a 3.0L TDI later than 2012, there will be a fix. Good to hold on to them since they may not be coming back. What a shame.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, it appears as though as long as you have a 3.0L TDI later than 2012, there will be a fix. Good to hold on to them since they may not be coming back. What a shame.
why does everyone act like this is a forced by back....lol jeez, you can keep it if you choose they arent coming to get it.

kcb

Veteran Member
Get it!!

Just picked up a 2013 Q7 last week, the thing is a beast! I can't imagine all the power in a Q5!

The extra space is awesome. Is a mini van without the box! Love the space. Is a large truck... made my garage feel small!

Ken

ujames

TDI
YES
why does everyone act like this is a forced by back....lol jeez, you can keep it if you choose they arent coming to get it.
My understanding is that at some point, owners in the US will not be able to register the vehicle for use since it won't pass the periodic emissions testing. At least in the Chicago area, older vehicles require the testing every year.

There's a 2012 Q7 that I'd like to buy but wonder if I'll be forced to give it back. Anyone here think the 2012 can be fixed?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My understanding is that at some point, owners in the US will not be able to register the vehicle for use since it won't pass the periodic emissions testing. At least in the Chicago area, older vehicles require the testing every year.
There's a 2012 Q7 that I'd like to buy but wonder if I'll be forced to give it back. Anyone here think the 2012 can be fixed?
your understanding wrong...ive never seen or heard of such, not one single shred of info says its a forced buy back...it says volntary and i dont believe they will not allow you to register it, the government is well aware of the vehicles testing and actually technically it passes the test...as they have since they came out by cheating so seeing their testing cant detect the cheat i dont see how it would fail. Either way if the government wasn't going to allow you to keep it then it would be a forced buy back plain and simple....further more we dont even know for a fact they are going to even buy 3.0s back its all hearsay until it happens...which will be at least a year

ujames

TDI
YES
your understanding wrong...ive never seen or heard of such, not one single shred of info says its a forced buy back...it says volntary and i dont believe they will not allow you to register it, the government is well aware of the vehicles testing and actually technically it passes the test...as they have since they came out by cheating so seeing their testing cant detect the cheat i dont see how it would fail. Either way if the government wasn't going to allow you to keep it then it would be a forced buy back plain and simple....further more we dont even know for a fact they are going to even buy 3.0s back its all hearsay until it happens...which will be at least a year
It's not hearsay. This was released earlier this week but it may not apply to you if you're not in US.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/3Liter/Second Partial Consent Decree - 12-20-16.pdf

CHDriver

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Love Our 2014 Audi Q5 TDI

Get your Q7/Q5 while they are gettable! With 37K-miles on the car and never an issue with it, I'm averaging 30.5mpg (per Fuelly). I will not sell it back to Audi; I will have it repaired.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
It's not hearsay. This was released earlier this week but it may not apply to you if you're not in US.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/3Liter/Second Partial Consent Decree - 12-20-16.pdf
They are offering buy backs on 09-12 TDI's for they claim there is not an immediate fix. You are in no way being forced to sell it back to them. You can keep it and hope for the fix later and it has already been said EPA is not going to deny registration to owners. 3.0 does not have the same issue as the 2.0 and are no where near as bad. It is just the newer ones are easier to fix since it will more or less be a software update. The older ones may be software as well as hardware update.

I am not turning in my '10 for there is nothing out there equivalent to it aside from the Range Rover which I don't have the means or interest in buying one. I know Jeep offers the Grand with air suspension, but I don't like them.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I bought a 13 Cayenne diesel(VW/Audi) and truly enjoy it! The performance is great and the fuel economy is not as good as the JSW,but my wife was wanting a SUV and this fit the bill. Bought with 19k miles and have zero plans to have it bought back or fixed. Maybe a tune down the road.
One question,does anyone know if the 3.0 runs the same HPFP as the 2.0?

GunnarJohnson

TDI
2012 Audi Q7
We have a 2012 Q7 TDi and love it. Best car we have ever owned and hope they come up with a fix. Awesome mileage and fast. It will take a great offer to get us to take the buyback. Possibly a tune in our future too.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
We have a 2012 Q7 TDi and love it. Best car we have ever owned and hope they come up with a fix. Awesome mileage and fast. It will take a great offer to get us to take the buyback. Possibly a tune in our future too.
I know how you feel but indications are it will be a pretty good offer:
Nov 2015 NADA Clean Retail (adjusted for options, and mileage at time of buyback) + your state's vehicle sales tax on that amount + $720 + restitution (if applicable, as yet unreleased). These details, except for the restitution, are in the link in Yeti's post above. Only you can decide if that's "great" enough!

Last edited:

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 ALH Jetta M5 / 05 BEW Jetta Wagon A4
May not be bad time to buy.

While VW say they have discontinued diesel in US, (perhaps Canada too), there is this snipit from the International Auto Show in Detroit, MI, USA.

According to Reuters:

Automakers tout new diesels despite Volkswagen's troubles
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-autoshow-diesel-idUSKBN14U2IY

I think VW may be premature in their decision to abandon the US market in favour of electric motor vehicles.(IMHO).

Time will tell, but if there is a Vehicle you like, and considering VW (and by extension Audi) build their vehicles in different generations as opposed to Model Year Cycles, that means the overall build process has a longer time length and *SHOULD* be cheaper to build.

I do not know what the "chicken tax" is on Autos not made domestically (Auto-NAFTA? exemption). But if they can make enough of them, I cannot understand why they would not want to esp with the Audi brand and the cachet that goes with the five rings.

If they are built better than VWs were, and give the fuel performance, with the new taxes coming down the line (ON,CA,MD,NY,QC I think are all on Cap-n-trade, AB,BC is on C-Tax), It would be prudent to at least look into them.

PS. Ontario Used car pricing for Used 2009 Audi TDi Q7s are listed at around $27K. Quite the premium for a Q7, considering the MSRP was 62,800 vs the Gasser 3.6L is $2K less.

For $2K on the purchase price, Diesel over Gas would get my vote any day. (5 Years of 30,000 Kms *34% fuel improvement per year [10.9 Fuely L/100km for MY 2009 on 30 units vs 13.9 L/100 km Gas 3.6L] [2752 L vs 4170 L] translaates to 1700 Litres saved per year! Even at 2.50 to $3.00 per gallon, thats not to bad over 1 year.

lord diesel

TDI
2000' Jetta TDi, 2016' Audi Q5 TDI
So here's a question for all to consider..
I have the option to purchase a privately held 2015' Q5 TDI with very low km's (<25,000 km's), which also has a transferable CPO warranty given the vehicle was purchased from the dealer as a "used" demo vehicle.
I am tempted to bite given the value of the warranty (fall of 2022'), however I'm wondering what the market will do once Audi releases the inventory of new old stock (2016) Q's sitting in lots all over Canada and the US (assuming the fix is approved for the later model years in Canada)?
There appears to be a premium attached to the low mileage 3.0L TDI due to supply not meeting demand, but I'm wondering if one were to wait another few months whether one could snag a "new" Q5 for the price, or close to the price sellers are currently asking for used vehicles?
Also, do we know whether any financial compensation offered by Audi as an incentive to accept the firmware fix will be offered to the current vehicle owners irrespective of whether that individual was the owner of the vehicle at the time dieselgate hit the fan? In other words, do secondary owners qualify for the compensation allowance (assuming they are open to the sw fix)?
I'm not banking on this as a condition of my purchase but it would be nice to know going into any negotiations with individuals/dealers.

Last edited:

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
While VW say they have discontinued diesel in US, (perhaps Canada too), there is this snipit from the International Auto Show in Detroit, MI, USA.
According to Reuters:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-autoshow-diesel-idUSKBN14U2IY
I think VW may be premature in their decision to abandon the US market in favour of electric motor vehicles.(IMHO).
Time will tell, but if there is a Vehicle you like, and considering VW (and by extension Audi) build their vehicles in different generations as opposed to Model Year Cycles, that means the overall build process has a longer time length and *SHOULD* be cheaper to build.
I do not know what the "chicken tax" is on Autos not made domestically (Auto-NAFTA? exemption). But if they can make enough of them, I cannot understand why they would not want to esp with the Audi brand and the cachet that goes with the five rings.
If they are built better than VWs were, and give the fuel performance, with the new taxes coming down the line (ON,CA,MD,NY,QC I think are all on Cap-n-trade, AB,BC is on C-Tax), It would be prudent to at least look into them.
PS. Ontario Used car pricing for Used 2009 Audi TDi Q7s are listed at around $27K. Quite the premium for a Q7, considering the MSRP was 62,800 vs the Gasser 3.6L is $2K less.
For $2K on the purchase price, Diesel over Gas would get my vote any day. (5 Years of 30,000 Kms *34% fuel improvement per year [10.9 Fuely L/100km for MY 2009 on 30 units vs 13.9 L/100 km Gas 3.6L] [2752 L vs 4170 L] translaates to 1700 Litres saved per year! Even at 2.50 to $3.00 per gallon, thats not to bad over 1 year.
Four rings?

michaelgasser17

TDI
2014 Q7 TDI
This is an excellent time to buy in my opinion. Resale prices are super low right now because of the concern with the whole diesel scandal. My 2014 TDI Premium Plus wasn't even one of the cars that was scammed on emissions and the resale value has dipped significantly anyway.

Also, they are super super fun to drive. You'd be hard pressed to find a sportier 7 passenger vehicle on the road.