www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old January 21st, 2018, 11:43   #31
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

We can piss into the wind all we like, but electrification of the auto fleet is coming. They will cheaper, cleaner, and safer. As much as I enjoy my piston powered stuff, I don't feel threatened by electric vehicles. The whole "coal argument" gets more stale as those ancient powerplants get decommissioned and replaced with cleaner alternatives. I assume unicorn farts are primarily methane- so yes, that is an option .
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2018, 12:04   #32
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
We can piss into the wind all we like, but electrification of the auto fleet is coming. They will cheaper, cleaner, and safer. As much as I enjoy my piston powered stuff, I don't feel threatened by electric vehicles. The whole "coal argument" gets more stale as those ancient powerplants get decommissioned and replaced with cleaner alternatives. I assume unicorn farts are primarily methane- so yes, that is an option .
I don’t feel threatened by electric at all. Once they have decent range, I’ll gladly drive one. I did two road trips last year of approximately 2,000 miles each with a few days of driving over 500 miles in a day, so those low range cars wouldn’t work.

I think electric could solve this if they went to a uniform battery and battery exchanges where you can get you in and out in five minutes.

But for now, 220 mile range and sitting around for hours waiting on a charge just won’t work for me. I’ll let the beta testers get a worthy car on the road for me in a couple of decades hopefully.

'15 GSW TDI S, DSG - FrostHeater, Helix soundbox, OEM asphericals, OEM sunshades
'16 GTI S, 6M, Performance & Lighting pkgs - IE IC, AWE Touring TBE, VWR springs
Blue_Hen_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2018, 12:56   #33
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I'm driving 2200 miles from Maine to Texas starting tomorrow morning. I generally do 900 miles the first two days and 400 on the third day. The tdi is fantastic for long road trips, no doubt about it. In five years time(when I'll probably be thinking about a new car), I expect there will be EV options that are nearly as convenient for most road tripping.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2018, 19:09   #34
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Great, we are on the same page. No need to create false dichotomies of electric vs TDI or light duty diesel. Light duty diesel cars are such a minority in the US and for an ICE they are much better overall (environment + performance) than a gasoline or a gasoline-hybrid car. Light duty diesel is the 'bridge technology' needed to make the transition to EVs in the mid-term.

Many cities in the US still have air pollution problems (see the Lung Association website and others) but have such a small percentage of light duty diesel cars. The problem: gasoline cars (mostly SUVs and trucks) that emit all kinds of pollutants (such as VOCs and other bad stuff) and are very inefficient (20 to 30 percent worse than a comparable light duty diesel vehicle.

At least GM is bringing to the dealers the Equinox and Terrain with a turbocharged diesel engine getting in the mid to high 30's MPG. There is some hope to help the environment with a family car that Americans might consider buying instead of something that gets less than 30 MPG (most SUVs out there).
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2018, 20:12   #35
greenskeeper
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53mpg

if they could "standardize" the electric vehicle battery pack so that they could be swapped out in under 5 minutes (the time to fill up a fuel tank) then maybe they can be practical
99 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF-6 (4" turbo back, Hydra chip)
greenskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:55   #36
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
Have they learned how to run an electric power plant on unicorn farts yet, or are they still using coal?
We charge our Fiat with power made from methane sucked out of the landfill a few miles away...

Also, why would you want to swap the whole battery pack when recharging it only takes 15 minutes? (Tesla can do that today)

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:01   #37
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
We charge our Fiat with power made from methane sucked out of the landfill a few miles away...
Also, why would you want to swap the whole battery pack when recharging it only takes 15 minutes? (Tesla can do that today)
-J
Sure, if you happen to meticulously plan a route to line up with their supercharging stations and are satisfied with partial charges.

Hey, I’m all for electric, but it’s feasibility is a long way off for people who don’t live in urban bubbles like NOVA.

'15 GSW TDI S, DSG - FrostHeater, Helix soundbox, OEM asphericals, OEM sunshades
'16 GTI S, 6M, Performance & Lighting pkgs - IE IC, AWE Touring TBE, VWR springs
Blue_Hen_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:01   #38
Power_Not_Speed
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

I would be more than happy to go electric. Unfortunately I don't live in the US and when there often drive 250 miles per day with several 1,000 mile days. But if I had a 'normal' life with a daily commute I would definitely have an EV. More power, better economy than a TDI, quiet, few moving parts. Love it.

But for now the Jetta does what I need. I wish my needs were different though. I like moving towards the future, and relying on dead dinos is the past.

Funny that a major criticism of the Tesla is that it's a luxury car you can't drive from LA to San Francisco on a charge, yet when I drive the I-5 i rarely see a newer Merc or BMW there, more like beaters and rentacars.

Haters. If they can't have it they gotta pretend they don't want it. For the vast majority of the people who live in cities EVs are the answer. It's just a matter of time. All the horses in NYC didn't disappear when the first curved dash Olds wobbled its way downtown, but disappear they did.