2013 Sportswagen 90191 and P0087 codes

alaskax

TDI
2004 Golf, 2013 Jetta Sportswagon
I've been reading threads and realizing now how common this is. I'm 4 days from my VW buyback appointment, and my tdi went into the typical (as I have learned) limp mode with flashing glow plug indicator. A couple of restarts on the way home cleared the limp mode for a minute or less, then again. After 3rd time, would not start, towed it home. Sigh...
Only 34K miles. I'm learning different things to look for and the potential seriousness from these threads. I have NOT seen (and dealer I called did not know) if the fuel pressure sensor sending these codes, if faulty, could also shut down the car as I described. Certainly I'd like to replace the sensor and be able to adequately drive it to the dealer for the buyback. I certainly do NOT plan to spend upwards of $10,000 for the worst case scenario (unless no other option). Anyways, I'll start with the filter and check for metal, etc., but I'm curious about the easiest thing, the sensor itself. Thanks for any input.

In anticipation of the buyback, I also just bought a 2015 sportwagen to replace my 2013 buyback. Has any additional insight come to light about increased integrity of the HPFP on these latest models? Not that I know this is my current issue yet, but I think I would have steered clear of purchasing the 2015 had I known about the systemic nature of the HPFP issue. So far I've picked up that the pump is "basically" the same in 2015 as it was in 2009. If so, that is sad indeed...