B5.5 wagon Shock replacement inquiry

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I'm about to replace my upper control arm bushings, and while I have the shock assembly out, I've decided to replace the shocks. I found an awesome deal on a Koni FSD set. But they don't come with any mounts, bump stops or covers.

For those who changed their shocks on their B5, do you recommend changing the mounts and bump stops?
My wagon has almost 160k miles on it and I do feel the current original shocks are still good. So perhaps, those components are still good also.

Before taking it all apart, I like to have those components on hand if recommended. Opinions?

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
I just put billy HDs on my Passat wagon. Im at 295K kms and the original stops were in good shape. We didnt replace them but maybe one of the more experienced gurus can chime in.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I replaced mine. The boots and mounts are like rear main seals: If you're in there anyway, and they have to come off....

Bump stops I typically re-use.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I know HD = heavy duty but 'billy'?

I just put billy HDs on my Passat wagon. Im at 295K kms and the original stops were in good shape. We didnt replace them but maybe one of the more experienced gurus can chime in.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Thanks all for the opinions. I am going to roll the dice in ordering new front mounts. I'll just inspect the stops and replace if needed.

Sorry, yes, they're yellow Bilstein HDs. To be honest they're a bit harder than I thought but I guess that's what I get for buying shocks that say HD on them. :eek:
Thanks for your feedback on the HD's. I was very close to ordering these, but found these Koni FSD's for about $512 shipped.

Didn't even priced out the Billy's to see if they were cheaper.

I hope the FSD ride is as good as folks say.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I just installed FSDs on my B5 a couple weeks back, and they are great. I was worried they might be a bit stiff, but I'm liking them I. The two weeks they've been on the car. Installed eibach lowering Springs at the same time

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
^^^ nice! Going back to my original question, how were your mounts, bump stops and covers? Did you change any of them out?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
^^^ nice! Going back to my original question, how were your mounts, bump stops and covers? Did you change any of them out?

Everything was fine, certainly not new looking but fine for re-use. This having gone through 10 salty Canadian winters.

The hardest part is getting out the pinch bolt which holds the top two ball joint/control arms to the steering knuckle.

I actually set fire (even with a steel shield) to the boot of one of the right side boots, and had to fix it with silicone. It's been fine (knock on wood) since.

The bump stops, rubber spring bases and associated hardware were fine. As was the aluminum upper A-arm triangle base bracket.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Just found this thread and I was wondering how was your experience so far DeliveryValve.

Did you get/install new mounts and if so did they come with bearings?

What about bump stops?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.