How many sets of control arms?

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
For people who have owned their b5 for a long period how many sets of control arms have you gone through? How long do they normally last?

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I am about to put on my first set. I'm at 128k miles. Also have an air suspension though that puts excess load on them. There may be also something said to the brand control arms you go with as well I assume.

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
I'm getting ready to do my lower ball joint arms. All of the others are good on mine. I have around 128,000 too.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Almost 160k miles with the original suspension components. Upper and lower balljoints and tie rod ends still tight. But I am about to change out the upper control arm bushings only.

Btravelen

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI Passat Variant
I replaced the set at 100k mi. I had a 'snap' sound upon the suspension working and just figured the suspension could use a refresh. Upon doing the job, I found the L front spring was broken at 1 loop on the bottom end. I think my kit was a preemptive job as i'm sure the sound was coming from the broken spring.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Im at 295K kms on mine and just replaced outer tie rod ends for my alignment. The arms are original.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Two arms, so not a complete set of 8. About 150k miles and the other a few k later.
One lower leading, one lower trailing. I presumed that was due to diagonal parking.

At full lock left any play in the right trailing, or left leading arms would be most noticed. At full right lock the left trailing or right leading would show up.
All to do with the way the imaginary "king pin axis" moves around the outer control arm joints and they 'orbit' in left to right turns.
Straight ahead the play is much less noticed.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I'm at 330k miles and original

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I am at 160K miles and I had a terrible squeaking sound coming from the front driver side. Thanks to Robby (in Austin) troubleshooting it turn out to be the outer tie rod that was rusted. He gave it a nice lubrication and the sound went away. However he did recommend to change both sides and not just the ends. So is there a benefit to also preemptively change the upper control arms at the same time?

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I did all 8 - upper and lower control arms. I had developed a squeak on hard steering and thunk on braking (the thunk was not fixed...still looking into it). This was at 160,000km.

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
At 97,000 miles and 7.5 years old, my stock rear shocks were worn out and the rear end was sitting noticeably lower. I had a front end squeak or other noise (I don't recall which exactly) which turned out to be a bushing in a control arm. At my request, I replaced all 8 arms with a Meyle kit, tie rod ends, rear shocks and front struts (Monroe). The car felt new after that. I am at 128,500 miles now.