ALH/BRM Sprocket Removal/Install

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Can someone provide some information regarding how they kept the ALH gear stationary when removing the bolt from the oil pump? What is the torque value once you have installed the BRM sprocket?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
"hey what's the torque spec on this bolt?"

*yells across shop*

"four baps!"

Bap-bap-bap-bap

"you're good!"

:D

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I just realized I still had the Bentley Manual on my laptop for the '00 Golf I had... QuickTD called it! 15ft-lbs/20Nm. I do have an impact gun so bap bap bap to get it off and torque it to 15ft-lbs.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
I just realized I still had the Bentley Manual on my laptop for the '00 Golf I had... QuickTD called it! 15ft-lbs/20Nm. I do have an impact gun so bap bap bap to get it off and torque it to 15ft-lbs.
Hi I'm just doing this now. Did you figure a way to hold the BRM gear in order to torque it to spec?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
^ All true...:D

Mechanics torque head bolts, main and rod cap bolts and ocassionally crank pulley and flywheel bolts, the rest are "bapped".
Hardcore gearheads do the same. I only torque the above bolts, rest are by feel. You develop a feel for what's "goodn' tight" over the years. :)

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
Saw a tip to grab gear with old chain and counterhold with vice grips. Easy toMake the 25 Nm torque like that.