97 golf gl...is it a tdi?

vw convert

I know this will be a stupid question. I just bought a 1997 golf gl diesel. It is turbo but I dont know if it is considered a tdi. I would like to purchase a smart box for the engine but am not sure if it will work on my car. It is hard to find answers here in Canada since hardly anyone drives them. By the way I used to own a Honda CRX, never again will I buy a Honda!

daveyracing69

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 2002 Silver
I want to say it's just a plain old fashion turbo, not direct injection. Hopefully other's will help on your issue
  • 02mk4gls silv

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I am fairly certain your car would be an A3 TDI. I guess the easiest way to tell is how slow the car accelerates?

Or if you are mechanically inclined you can look under the hood or down at your feet to see if there is a throttle cable. In the non TDI's the cable comes out by the brake resevoir and loops over to the left side of the engine where the injection pump is with what looks like throttle linkage on the top of it.

daveyracing69

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 2002 Silver
vwconvert he has a point, look for the throttle cable, I thought 97 were not direct injection yet, like I said wait for more input.

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
Originally posted by Rapt:
'97 Golf is NOT a TDI... The TDI's were introduced in the Passat's in '96 and the Jetta's in '97.

Sorry its an IDI Turbo...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">'xactly.
A 97 Jetta can be IDI or TDI, both were offered in Canada.
97 Golf: IDI.

Rapt

Veteran Member
'97 Golf is NOT a TDI... The TDI's were introduced in the Passat's in '96 and the Jetta's in '97.

Sorry its an IDI Turbo...

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
Add an intercooler (you run higher boost stock than a TDI IIRC...) turn the boost up a couple lbs above stock MAX, and turn the pump up for a bit more fuel, as dictated by smoke.
'QuickTD' & 'Weasel' here on the site both have TD's & have done the above, I'm sure there are others too.
Mostly DIY though, not any VW TD tuners that I know of on this side of the pond...there are some good websites around though from guys that have tinkered a bit.