Sold- 2016 A6 Prestige - Ownership Log

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Just my 2 cents here. But I would think its' not a big deal. IE if it gets gunked up. Get to it, take it off, spray it out with carb cleaner or etc... and re-install....

Here is the video from An a4 B7 TDI. Its' function looks very similar to a standard throttle body... might be a PIA but atleast it would likely be an easy enough fix. I know this is not the exact same motor, just shows that it can be done if necessary.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
Just my 2 cents here. But I would think its' not a big deal. IE if it gets gunked up. Get to it, take it off, spray it out with carb cleaner or etc... and re-install....
Here is the video from An a4 B7 TDI. Its' function looks very similar to a standard throttle body... might be a PIA but atleast it would likely be an easy enough fix. I know this is not the exact same motor, just shows that it can be done if necessary.
Appreciate your input? Did you put a link to the video?

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Well its gotten quite brisk in Chicago. I was a bit worried about warm up times after the delete.

When leaving home or somewhere close to a main street of 35 to 45 mph speeds. Car is warmed up and producing cabin heat in 2 to 3 minutes.

Leaving work, its a lot of 30 mph with constant stop and go from lights till I hit main streets. This driving has a noticeably greater affect on keeping the car from warming up quickly. Until the car gets a consistent minute at 35 mph it doesn't want to get warm nearly as quickly from a complete cold start.

A7TDI

TDI
Audi A7
Great thread, exactly what I've been looking for.

I have a 2014 A7 TDI and have been debating a tune for a long time mostly to get rid of the turbo lag in traffic. My original thinking was to go with a Malone stage 1, but it seems for best results to eliminate lag I should be doing deletes + Malone Stage 2, basically what was done with this A6.

There are 2 DPF delete kits, BuzzKen $900 or DarkSide Developments for $450
EGR Delete plate $30 from DarkSide Developments
Malone Stage 2 - $650
Flashzilla - $180

Items to consider, swirl flap delete? Is this necessary?

The only reliability issue I've read about doing deletes is that by removing back pressure the turbo spins faster, therefore it wears out faster. I am new to diesels/turbos, internet seems to be all over the place on this.

Big concern is black smoke, looks like it shouldn't generate much soot, but can't find good enough reference videos.

Diesel smell in cabin is the other issue, it seems reviews for most malone tunes state that there is a bit of an increase in smell.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Great thread, exactly what I've been looking for.

I have a 2014 A7 TDI and have been debating a tune for a long time mostly to get rid of the turbo lag in traffic. My original thinking was to go with a Malone stage 1, but it seems for best results to eliminate lag I should be doing deletes + Malone Stage 2, basically what was done with this A6.

There are 2 DPF delete kits, BuzzKen $900 or DarkSide Developments for $450
EGR Delete plate $30 from DarkSide Developments
Malone Stage 2 - $650
Flashzilla - $180

Items to consider, swirl flap delete? Is this necessary?

The only reliability issue I've read about doing deletes is that by removing back pressure the turbo spins faster, therefore it wears out faster. I am new to diesels/turbos, internet seems to be all over the place on this.

Big concern is black smoke, looks like it shouldn't generate much soot, but can't find good enough reference videos.

Diesel smell in cabin is the other issue, it seems reviews for most malone tunes state that there is a bit of an increase in smell.
Hey there, glad my blog is helping. I'll see if I can answer some questions.

Turbo Reliability - We delete to help the turbo. I believe heat is more detrimental then spool speed. The tune should keep the spin rate at a safe level to not put added stress on the turbo. Speaking from my 1st tune before deleting to the 2nd tune after deleting. The EGT reached alarming temps with the DPF intact with a minuscule 25 extra hp. The 2nd tune after the DPF delete, the car handled an extra 55+ hp and 75+ trq while keeping EGT temps at the level of the stock car. We could of pushed it more but I wanted to stay conservative. I love that the temps are lower with the extra power.

Black smoke - At first there was an alarming amount of thick black smoke. Within a few weeks of driving that eased up to the point I only see a cloud on WOT redline runs. If I try to make a quick lane change and give a little extra (not WOT) I might get a slight puff.
+FYI - I'm using ULSD #2 Diesel in my car. This produces more smoke then Biodiesel. I have added Standadyne Performance Formula 8 oz every other fill up and noticed a considerable reduction especially on the lane change type moves. Prior to it, the smoke would of been more noticeable. Not sure what you'll be using.

Diesel Smell in Cabin - Rarely is this noticeable and it is only when the windows are open and the wind is blowing in a specific direction or no wind at all and I'm sitting at a light. Again this is only with windows open. A quick remedy, throw the recirculating air, AC, or heat on, and the smell is gone. I do not get any smell with windows closed. If you are getting it in the cabin, something is not tightened up properly and allowing exhaust into the engine bay then into the car.

Swirl Flap Delete / EGR -
https://www.clubtouareg.com/threads/t3-tdi-intake-swirl-flap-delete.288285/

Only thing I could really find. A lot depends on your car. For my A6, there isn't a block off plate to purchase. The EGR is tuned out and stuck shut after speaking to the shop, Buzzken, and Rawtek. The swirl flap is another non-necessary delete from reading around. I'll add, my car has a setting to create heat for the car using the diesel. Its in my MMI settings. I've switched it on. I can now get heat fairly quickly from a cold start by setting heat to High, 12 for power, and recirculating. I can even warm the car up in the driveway now which I thought was going to be useless after the delete and the car not moving.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/q5-supplementary-heater-2893397/page2/

A7TDI

TDI
Audi A7
Hey there, glad my blog is helping. I'll see if I can answer some questions.
Turbo Reliability - We delete to help the turbo. I believe heat is more detrimental then spool speed. The tune should keep the spin rate at a safe level to not put added stress on the turbo. Speaking from my 1st tune before deleting to the 2nd tune after deleting. The EGT reached alarming temps with the DPF intact with a minuscule 25 extra hp. The 2nd tune after the DPF delete, the car handled an extra 55+ hp and 75+ trq while keeping EGT temps at the level of the stock car. We could of pushed it more but I wanted to stay conservative. I love that the temps are lower with the extra power.
Black smoke - At first there was an alarming amount of thick black smoke. Within a few weeks of driving that eased up to the point I only see a cloud on WOT redline runs. If I try to make a quick lane change and give a little extra (not WOT) I might get a slight puff.
+FYI - I'm using ULSD #2 Diesel in my car. This produces more smoke then Biodiesel. I have added Standadyne Performance Formula 8 oz every other fill up and noticed a considerable reduction especially on the lane change type moves. Prior to it, the smoke would of been more noticeable. Not sure what you'll be using.
Diesel Smell in Cabin - Rarely is this noticeable and it is only when the windows are open and the wind is blowing in a specific direction or no wind at all and I'm sitting at a light. Again this is only with windows open. A quick remedy, throw the recirculating air, AC, or heat on, and the smell is gone. I do not get any smell with windows closed. If you are getting it in the cabin, something is not tightened up properly and allowing exhaust into the engine bay then into the car.
Swirl Flap Delete / EGR -
https://www.clubtouareg.com/threads/t3-tdi-intake-swirl-flap-delete.288285/
Only thing I could really find. A lot depends on your car. For my A6, there isn't a block off plate to purchase. The EGR is tuned out and stuck shut after speaking to the shop, Buzzken, and Rawtek. The swirl flap is another non-necessary delete from reading around. I'll add, my car has a setting to create heat for the car using the diesel. Its in my MMI settings. I've switched it on. I can now get heat fairly quickly from a cold start by setting heat to High, 12 for power, and recirculating. I can even warm the car up in the driveway now which I thought was going to be useless after the delete and the car not moving.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/q5-supplementary-heater-2893397/page2/
Awesome, thank you so much. You have literally answered everything I've been scratching my head at for a few months.

I am based in Canada, I am told our Diesel here is different than the US, I am not sure if it's for the better or worse.

You don't happen to have any videos of your car's rear at WOT would you? There are a couple of youtube vids of Q5's and Q7's with the same mods and a malone stage 2, but it's all bumper mounted cameras that don't provide context to how much smoke is actually behind the car.

The big decision I need to make now is whether to void the dieselgate extended warranty that I have up to 120k miles. Currently at 96k.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome, thank you so much.
The big decision I need to make now is whether to void the dieselgate extended warranty that I have up to 120k miles. Currently at 96k.
I can get a video made. Might take a few days. Weather is about to be horrendous in Chicago and very busy with work, a newborn, and Thanksgiving week.

I was asking myself the same question about the warranty. I decided that I wanted the car to be setup the best way possible for power, longevity, and least amount of headaches with keeping in mind I would be footing the bill moving forward.

If you can afford the possible problems (there should be less) I don't see a reason to not make the car what you want.

After extensive reading, more often then not problems occur from the emissions equipment. That headache is now gone for me. I feel for the guys who hold the warranty and have to play phone tag to get their car worked on from Audi, who really doesn't want to waste their time on the problem anymore. Then their car sits in the shop or possibly another headache down the line. Not to mention there is a SECOND!!! Recall on the DPF for my car right now. Glad I'm not dealing with that when parts seem to be scarce. I know from my one stop to my local Audi they do not store TDI parts on hand anymore.

My investment should lead to better reliability all around while I get the fun, power, increased mpgs, no more turbo lag, a nice throaty sound as well. I can call my shop up in a moment's notice have the car to them that night and parts ready in the shop the next day. Again out of pocket cost but they aren't charging me Audi prices.

To me, not worth it, but I only had 32k miles picking this up as a one owner Audi lease. I hope sticking to the maintenance plan religiously will give the reliability weve had in our 09 Mercedes CDI.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
My Q5 is deleted and straight piped and I also use Stanadyne Performance additive and it helped quite a bit. Works great for me! I’ll have my wife take a vid of my cars rear end while I’m driving off and I’ll post back here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Have the date with Audi on the 26th to get the new DPF downpipe installed. I am planning on removing the secondary cat at the bottom of the downpipe shortly after. It’s not hooked up to anything O2 related so that’s nice.

Anyone else done this(remove second cat)?

Last edited:

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Are you sure it is not hooked up? There is another sensor further down the line (post Ad Blue injection) that may be impacted.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Are you sure it is not hooked up? There is another sensor further down the line (post Ad Blue injection) that may be impacted.
I will do a triple check but I did not see any connection even near that second cat. It comes right off the downpipe and into that cat. I'll keep everyone posted here when I check again later today as well.

Side note, I'm not looking for some huge power bump but maybe a more free-flowing exhaust and less restriction while holding onto the alphabet soup.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Look further down the line under the car for the sensor. I am pretty sure you will need a delete tune if you remove anything upstream from that sensor.
I removed my mufflers, no noticeable difference in power and very little sound increase. I am tuned to ~300hp and 527ft-lbs.
There are little to no gains removing any exhaust components unless heavily modded.
You will be hard pressed to exceed 300hp with stock turbo.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Haven’t gotten back under the car yet. However, I did turn up my CW box to D-1 before I left work today. It’s similar to the C-1 setting but it definitely has that extra punch across the board. Keep y’all updated through the week/weekend as I drive with the new setting.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Update:

Still on D-1 setting. It definitely uses a bit more fuel and keeps the RPM's around 2K before shifting but it has smoothed out the car a lot in these winter temps. It pulls even harder across the range and I will be keeping it there.

Dropped off the A6(and our Q5) this morning to the Audi dealership for the new DPF/downpipe. They gave us some rentals and they gave my wife a brand new S-Line SQ5...I think im about to lose $60,000 lol

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Car feels great after new DPF. Probably more from being a new downpipe altogether but super smooth with shifting and pickup. Highly recommend.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Someone a while back had asked to see how the exhaust looks on WOT. There are no turns or intersections the rest of the way down the street for safety purposes. Also, don't have a go pro to attach. Not sure if this gives the proper idea or not. Wish I had video of what this looked like when I first had it done. We are talking Dodge Cummins smoke which it is not anymore.
https://youtu.be/N89XnhX5gDk
Video/Sound inside cabin windows closed. Also took a video which is for sound purposes of what it sounds like at WOT with windows closed. You'll need headphones or speakers for it to have any revelance though. You can hear the change clink back when throttle is down :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ3vt1GiMtY&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI

Android Auto has been uploaded into my original MMI system :)

Details and photos to come.....

Last edited:

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone who is looking to have Carplay or Android Auto in their car. Here is the guy to contact. There is no removing of the dash or installing of any new parts.
Contact him on....
Telegram ID:mad:carplay_audi
whatsApp:+86 13967895945

This is the link to url on the topic.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/845614-C7-5-2016-RS7-Apple-CarPlay-actived!

The whole process took 45 minutes at most. The faster you click the faster it gets done. He will ask you to send photos as you complete each step.

Some thoughts, use a backup laptop or make a new profile on your PC for safety concerns. You will need a USB to Ethernet link, ethernet cord, an SD card, and download Teamviewer on your PC/MAC

After two weeks of use the $155 is well worth it with some small caveats.

-This is a wired connection. You will have to connect your phone to the usb port every time you get in the car.

-The android auto functionality is stuck to the normal app with safety in mind. I'm unable to play videos on my screen. Not needed for me but some might want this if they are spending the money. RS Nav or DMP Designs might be for you then...

-Spotify is fully functional now. When I was using Bluetooth MMI there was no way to search songs nor scroll playlists without touching my phone. Now I can do it with the scroll knob quickly and easily. All the info right on the MMI screen for easy viewing.

-Google Maps or 3D Google Earth if you prefer is very smooth. Seems unnecessary but I've found hidden gems all throughout the Chicagoland area with Google Earth running now. As I'm driving a shop or restaurant will pop up on google maps that you would have no idea is there otherwise. Best part is it is not using the Audi data/sim card.

-Texting is stuck to the Android Auto functionality, text to speech. Basically you won't be reading any text on your screen through android auto.....the basic MMI text message app works to read on the screen. I say this because I'm sure some might not want the texts read out loud for everyone in the car to hear.

-Waze works as well.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Well been away for the forum for some time now. My kid is almost a year old and being an essential worker I've worked more since Covid happened. I've only been able to get 5 days off of work since March and had two vacations cancelled. Lucky enough to have gotten a promotion during this time, but that has only doubled my work load on top of not being able to get days off.

The car is doing great. At 50k in miles now with maintenance scheduled soon. Funny thing is the ole' dealership who flagged my car called today. Asking when I would like to schedule the second recall on the DPF for the A6. I told the salesmen I don't believe I will be getting the warranty work as your dealership flagged my car and was not kind about it. You haven't called me once since that day either. He said there was nothing noted but he would get back to me.

I have no idea where this scenario would go bringing in a deleted car. I did keep all the equipment that was taken off. It is interesting though as the car is "supposedly" still worth $500 more then I paid for it if I were to go the private sale route per KBB and a bank appraisal. We are trying to get into the forever home (3.5 years ahead of schedule) and removing a car loan, using the extra money to buy a Honda with cash to drive for a year or two would beef up the amount of cash on hand for the down payment.

So......
1) do nothing and keep enjoying my daily driving happiness, I seriously enjoy getting into the car to this very day but I can sacrifice for family to live more comfortably and get us into that next home quicker.
2) sell the car as is with the delete
3) take the free warranty work if audi honors it and have a car with a warranty again (the delete is great but the heavy diesel smell has gotten a bit annoying) My wifes car is a Diesel SUV with emissions equipment and there is noticeably little smell when windows are down.
4) keep the car and keep the delete but turn the stage 2 tune down to stage 1
5) fix the car if they really will do it for free and then sell it with the warranty

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy out there...

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope you keep it man! I also feel the family life taking time from the car life haha. I have a 9yr old daughter, 2yr old daughter, and 1yr old daughter. I'm tapped out for kids. Congrats with the 1yr old- it only gets better from here!

Honestly though- Keep the car. Why tune the car down to stage 1? If you're catless, just buy a Gesi HFC, install it and 98% of your smell is gone. That's the cheapest and easiest way to go about things and still have fun :)

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope you keep it man! I also feel the family life taking time from the car life haha. I have a 9yr old daughter, 2yr old daughter, and 1yr old daughter. I'm tapped out for kids. Congrats with the 1yr old- it only gets better from here!

Honestly though- Keep the car. Why tune the car down to stage 1? If you're catless, just buy a Gesi HFC, install it and 98% of your smell is gone. That's the cheapest and easiest way to go about things and still have fun :)
I have a high flow cat with the delete. Also, I wonder how much has to do with sitting much lower in a sedan vs the wifes suv.

We plan to have two. Can't believe its almost time to get the next one going lol. Time flies.

commedeschatons

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon 5mt, 2016 VW Touareg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, 2011 335d Msport, 2009 Q7 TDI
Hi,

Darkside has blockoff plates which mount to the egr hotside (you can see the little pipe coming off the turbo). They are quite cheap, you can even take the pipe off and give it t a fabricator and they can cut u some on the spot.

Don't worry about egr gunk.

I posted in another thread that GDM told me they will released their revised cp3 kit in December. As usual they don't tell anyone anything and keep it low key

If u rather fully delete the cooler you can ask them to purchase the egr cooler delete only which is part of the kit. It deletes the full cooler and reroutes the coolant and not just a block off plate.

Intake mani has to come off for that so iiwy I'd say just run it

Also, idk if you are doing this now, recommend u to switch to something not 5w30 if you haven't already. Rotella T6 and virtually any other 5w40 diesel oil reduced wear numbers significantly in my UOAs and is dirt cheap. I have been running it for 65k miles now and do uoa every oil change.

Also recommend use hotshots EDT additive in fuel I guess it is better than competing products. Exxon has that diesel efficient which they say has some additive pack but I still add it

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
More details to come. I unfortunately will be putting my car up for sale. I wanted to come here first in case an enthusiast was interested. The car is currently at 50,900 miles.

My wife and I are expecting our second baby as its been a blast watching our now 15 month old grow up. We hit the twelve week mark today with the new one. Everything is great! Ultrasound a bit funny though. THERE WERE TWO BEATING HEARTS!!!!! THATS RIGHT TWINS!!!! We are planners and this has completely flipped our world and plans upside down. It has always been two kids and done. With seven months to go we need to not only move into a bigger home but something I thought I'd never......ever....ever do is drive something that isn't a sedan.

We have a 100 lb dog we take everywhere with us. What will be 3 car seats now. It's all overwhelming but I'm an optimist and glass half full kinda guy.

I want someone who is going to appreciate the work and upgrades that have been done on the car. You should also be in a non-emissions state. I did keep all the gear from the DPF removal if you want to try and go that route. I'm glad I kept the car and never took the offer to let audi fix it again. Besides the smell from time to time, the tune itself has come out better then I could imagine. Smoke is minimal even on WOT. I'll get service records together.

My head is spinning but this is 100% serious. If you know anyone looking. I'm just outside Chicago. Cheers everyone!

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
That's awesome! Congrats on the twins man! I can't see the photo you posted above. What's your asking price for the A6?

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
That's awesome! Congrats on the twins man! I can't see the photo you posted above. What's your asking price for the A6?
$29k I would let it go. This car is a grey area and comes down to the eye of the beholder. Are the upgrades worth more or less to them? I can put it on my buddies lot for no commission where he sells diesels all the time. Might take a month to sell.

Here is original MSRP, had no idea the wheels were upgraded.
Window Sticker of 2016 Audi A6 TDI Prestige Trim

I'm seeing a dead image now too. It is the KBB on the car. Private sale is $28.5k to $29.5k

Upgrades:
Buzzken DPF Delete
Buzzken High Flow Cat
Custom ECU Stage 2 with Dyno - Conservative tune to protect turbo heat and great for daily driving
Custom TCU Tune - you'll have to feel this to understand a untuned transmission specifically between the driving modes
Continental DWS 06 Tires with 10k miles on them installed February 2020
Android Auto Update
Video in Motion Unlocked
Windows Tinted
Weathertech Custom Winter Mats included
OEM Audi A6 Winter Trunk Mat
Backseat Weathertech Seat Protector - was for the dog, but I put the carseat over this to protect the leather
OBD Eleven Included
Standadyne High Performance every other fill up
Regular maintenance every 5k miles at H&M Auto Hauss in Westchester, Illinois
Performance upgrades by APM Tuned in Villa Park, Illinois

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Car has been sold 😥
Hopefully in five years I can get an A6 Allroad once the kids can buckle themselves in.
Not sure what we will be buying. Two rear facing car seats are going to be tough to get the two year old into the back of a Telluride or the like. Might have to relent and get a van for 3 years 😭