06 Jetta Door cards

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
What is the best way to repair the door cards on an 06 Jetta? The center vinyl has detached from the rear doors.

I thought this was a Beetle only issue...ugh.

BSpray29

TDI
06 Jetta BRM
What is the best way to repair the door cards on an 06 Jetta? The center vinyl has detached from the rear doors.
I thought this was a Beetle only issue...ugh.
I had this same issue on all 4 doors on my 06 Jetta. I went to a local auto upholstery shop and they told me it would cost about $250 per door and there was no guarantee that it would not fail again. Apparently, the sponge material on the back side of the vinyl releases some kind of oily residue as it deteriorates and it is next to impossible to sufficiently clean off all the oily residue to the point an adhesive would permanently stick to the door panel. I decided to keep my $1000 and try to repair it myself. I wiped the perimeter of the door panel material down with isopropyl alcohol and tucked the edges of the failing material back into the door panels. I then took GE clear silicone and ran a tiny bead around the perimeter of the failing material where it tucked in to the door panel. A year later, it is still holding the material in place. However, this fix only secures the perimeter edge of the material and does nothing to secure the middle of the failing material, but it works fine for my needs.