Pricing of 13-14 jetta sportwagen tdi after fix ?

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Geordi what is the name of the dealership?

5SP TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, DSG.
I just purchased my VW CPO 2014 JSW, 24k miles, DSG, every option except for pano roof and nav. Got it for $12,700, dealer had it listed at $13,945. Amazing deals on these buyback TDI's!

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I just purchased my VW CPO 2014 JSW, 24k miles, DSG, every option except for pano roof and nav. Got it for $12,700, dealer had it listed at $13,945. Amazing deals on these buyback TDI's!

That is a heck of a deal. Contrats. Glad its a DSG for the sake of what I paid 8 months ago for mine. Just so you know I'm pretty sure that "every option except pano roof and nav" is the base model. These cars were well appointed with very few trim packages.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Yeah - The ONLY options were the panoramic roof and the nav system. Selecting either should have gotten you both, and also puts in (at least in the 14) the push-to-start nonsense.

Everything else is the same as every car - the only other option I'm aware of was the transmission, and I think you had to specifically opt for the manual. Every one I looked at was DSG. They also only had the two interior colors and ALL were leather.

These were / are nice cars. Wish they had been built in Germany, but that's a minor thing. Seems to be pretty solid so far.

CDKJudoka

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Ended up paying $13.9 for a 2014 JSW with a Pano and DSG with 45k miles. That is with brand new tires, all of the 40k services done, including the DSG Service and a VW roof rack. A little high, IMHO, but I am okay with it.

Last edited:

Medic_334

TDI
2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I purchased 2 JSWs recently. Mine is a 14, DSG, toffee brown/beige interior, 29k, paid $12500. My wife's is a 14, DSG, dark blue/beige interior, only had 19k on it, got that one for $12000. Both CPO, with the 2yr, unlimited, bumper-to-bumper warranty.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
I paid $13,500 for a '14 JSW 6MT and 22,000 miles today. I didn't haggle, because I was under water in my trade.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
Yeah - The ONLY options were the panoramic roof and the nav system. Selecting either should have gotten you both, and also puts in (at least in the 14) the push-to-start nonsense.

I have a deposit down on a '14. Has the pano roof and the 17" wheels but does not have push-to-start. So it must have still been an optional upgrade for the '14 model.

ESmith813

TDI
2015 Manual GSW TDI SEL
I have a deposit down on a '14. Has the pano roof and the 17" wheels but does not have push-to-start. So it must have still been an optional upgrade for the '14 model.

KESSY (push to start and keyless locking) is part of the Sunroof and Nav trim level (as opposed to the just sunroof trim). If the car doesn't have nav, it won't have that feature for the 14s.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
2011 JSW $10k out the door

I started looking for a CPO JSW under 10k about 6/18, gave up and bought a Volvo v70.. bad choice.

Jumped on a 69k 1 owner CPO yesterday at Dirito brother VW for 10k out the door. red/white interior. Nav, pano, etc... Dealer just put tires and a bunch o $ in it. love it. Claims @ $4k worth. CPO warrentie now 2 yrs/24k, 2 yr road side aasistance, 6 mo. serious. I AM pretty sure this was an exceptional deal

Just needs a backup camera conversion. YESSSS

POBOX2897

TDI
2014 JSW 6-speed
I started looking for a CPO JSW under 10k about 6/18, gave up and bought a Volvo v70.. bad choice.

Jumped on a 69k 1 owner CPO yesterday at Dirito brother VW for 10k out the door. red/white interior. Nav, pano, etc... Dealer just put tires and a bunch o $ in it. love it. Claims @ $4k worth. CPO warrentie now 2 yrs/24k, 2 yr road side aasistance, 6 mo. serious. I AM pretty sure this was an exceptional deal

Just needs a backup camera conversion. YESSSS
Nice!

FYI Volkswagen CPO for TDI is 2 years\unlimited mileage.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Based on how VW seems to try and weasel out of the warranty when repairs are actually needed... I wish luck to all who rely on it or count it as a benefit. I'm not sure I think it is worth the paper it is printed on.

Treetrimmer

TDI
2006 Jetta MT5

Everything else is the same as every car - the only other option I'm aware of was the transmission, and I think you had to specifically opt for the manual. Every one I looked at was DSG. They also only had the two interior colors and ALL were leather.

These were / are nice cars. Wish they had been built in Germany, but that's a minor thing. Seems to be pretty solid so far.
Actually, none of them are leather. They are all vinyl.

Treetrimmer

TDI
2006 Jetta MT5
Based on how VW seems to try and weasel out of the warranty when repairs are actually needed... I wish luck to all who rely on it or count it as a benefit. I'm not sure I think it is worth the paper it is printed on.
They cannot "weasel out" of warranty claims unless they can demonstrate that you did not maintain the car according to owners manual or modified it in some way. Anyone who modified their car during the factory warranty period w a tuner or other aftermarket items is a big idiot. And that is an understatement. Once it's out of warranty, knock yourself out.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
You might want to research the HPFP warranty claims - VW seems to insist on a fuel quality test done only at their corporate offices, and has made numerous owners fight like crazy to get any kind of coverage for the failures. VW always blames "misfueling" and tells the owner to pay for the repairs.

That seems like a lot of weaseling to me.

TommyTurbo

TDI
2014 JSW
I just got a 2014 JSW 6MT with 60K on it for 11k. Sticker was 12k, offered 10.5, settled on 11. Extremely good condition inside and out. Just drove it on a 300 mi trip, averaged 41.9 MPG by the computer.

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm really surprised to hear people jumping on the common rails with the HPFP. Even at $10-12K is the gamble worth it?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Both CPO, with the 2yr, unlimited, bumper-to-bumper warranty.
Can you describe the 2yr/unlim. warrantee coverage as you know it? I cant seem to find an answer.

I just bought an 11 CPO JSW 6m w/ 69k (2/5/19). The original batt. went dead from a few minutes setting the radio in the drive way. Not covered, $180... Took it to Sacramento autorama yesterday, loved the solid, surprisingly quite ride...

Problem #2, noticed smoke from under car returning home. 3/4 qt low... Today I hope to just find maybe a loose filter. It was just 70k serviced before purchase!

I still love the car, just have to check out the coverage exacts.

Treetrimmer

TDI
2006 Jetta MT5
You might want to research the HPFP warranty claims - VW seems to insist on a fuel quality test done only at their corporate offices, and has made numerous owners fight like crazy to get any kind of coverage for the failures. VW always blames "misfueling" and tells the owner to pay for the repairs.

That seems like a lot of weaseling to me.
How long does it take them to send the fuel sample out for testing and get the results back? I have read about them claiming misfueling on HPFP failures but it depends on how they are actually handling it. I do not blame them for wanting to rule out that factor before springing for a new engine or whatever massive repair bill they would be eating. The cars DO GET MISFUELED by owners and other people driving them, (teenaged children, friends borrowing the car, etc.). It is a real problem, especially w newer diesel vehicles such as VW TDIs that are quiet and do not telegraph to the average person that they are in a diesel vehicle. I work in the repair industry, (not at a dealer or for VW), and I see misfueling of diesel vehicles on a fairly regular basis. I recently saw someone put diesel in a gas car, because the green pump handle cover matched the gas handle at the place they usually fueled.

Back to VW...if they are holding up a warranty claim for months w the excuse that they are testing the fuel, then you have a point. If it's quickly tested in a reasonable time and settled, you don't.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm really surprised to hear people jumping on the common rails with the HPFP. Even at $10-12K is the gamble worth it?
Here in Ca. with the crappy low sulfur diesel I wonder if a minimal quality additive would create warrantee issues.

I used occasional additive to my 04 TDI Passat that had original HPFP, turbo ect... @ 225k. When sold it ran like new.

Treetrimmer

TDI
2006 Jetta MT5
Can you describe the 2yr/unlim. warrantee coverage as you know it? I cant seem to find an answer.

I just bought an 11 CPO JSW 6m w/ 69k (2/5/19). The original batt. went dead from a few minutes setting the radio in the drive way. Not covered, $180... Took it to Sacramento autorama yesterday, loved the solid, surprisingly quite ride...

Problem #2, noticed smoke from under car returning home. 3/4 qt low... Today I hope to just find maybe a loose filter. It was just 70k serviced before purchase!

I still love the car, just have to check out the coverage exacts.
Let us know what the oil issue was. It does sound like a leak.

The 2 yr./unlimited mileage warranty covers defects, just like the original factory warranty, as I understand it. An 8 year old battery taking a dump is not a defect. It's a great battery. They usually don't live that long. It's just too bad you did not somehow discover it before closing the deal and negotiate a new battery into the car.

Treetrimmer

TDI
2006 Jetta MT5
Here in Ca. with the crappy low sulfur diesel I wonder if a minimal quality additive would create warrantee issues.

I used occasional additive to my 04 TDI Passat that had original HPFP, turbo ect... @ 225k. When sold it ran like new.
In CA., it's ULSD, not LSD. And it has nothing to do w fuel pump failures, unless the pumps need sulphur for some reason. I doubt it.

I'd like to see a controlled study on HPFP failures that rules out fuel issues, does one exist somewhere here or elsewhere on the web? I understand that VW would not be behind such a study. You have to ask yourself, though, why don't they all fail? Why do 99%, (or whatever it is), last for years and millions of combined miles w/o exploding? The mechanic in me wants to know why.

alcook59

TDI
2014 JSW
Anyone who modified their car during the factory warranty period w a tuner or other aftermarket items is a big idiot. And that is an understatement. Once it's out of warranty, knock yourself out.
Tuned and deleted my 2012 in 2012 when it had 8K miles. Had compound turbos, big injectors, and a whole list of other modifications on my Cummins before it hit 12k miles. It doesn’t mean your an idiot, it means you don’t care if you have to deal with it out of pocket. Voiding the warranty THEN complaining that they tell you to pound sand... then your an idiot.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tuned and deleted my 2012 in 2012 when it had 8K miles. Had compound turbos, big injectors, and a whole list of other modifications on my Cummins before it hit 12k miles. It doesn’t mean your an idiot, it means you don’t care if you have to deal with it out of pocket. Voiding the warranty THEN complaining that they tell you to pound sand... then your an idiot.
Exactly. I've upgraded my cars, and this current one has already been cured of several issues that will prevent future problems that I don't want to pay for. Do I particularly care about the warranty? No - not when I don't trust them to fix it properly OR in a timely manner, because the dealers haven't proven to me that they have those skills. I don't believe the warranty is worth the paper it is printed on.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to VW...if they are holding up a warranty claim for months w the excuse that they are testing the fuel, then you have a point. If it's quickly tested in a reasonable time and settled, you don't.
No argument that people do misfuel - I'm sure it happens regularly. But to answer your question, there are numerous examples even on this board that I read about where VW was dragging their feet about returning the results. These were on cars that still had payments being made, and multiple months went by with no answer or car (but those payments were certainly still due).

VW also in some of these threads seemed insistent that their corporate answer was the only valid one, independent testing seemed to not be respected. And nobody has explained WHY the pump would fly apart internally, contaminating the entire fuel system.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Let us know what the oil issue was. It does sound like a leak.

The 2 yr./unlimited mileage warranty covers defects, just like the original factory warranty, as I understand it. An 8 year old battery taking a dump is not a defect. It's a great battery. They usually don't live that long. It's just too bad you did not somehow discover it before closing the deal and negotiate a new battery into the car.
Yup. The drain plug was 4 threads out! Great car, obviously the VW oil guy. Been a dealership tech. and realize the oil guy is usually a 18 year old w/ little to no experience. I can't scream over this really and am very grateful it didn't strand the grandkids, wife and I on the side of the road.

I'm good with the battery too as I got a low mile, semi warrented car with new tires, brakes, battery, DPF and like new in and out for 10k out the door (+ batt. $180)

Love the ride and mpg

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
In CA., it's ULSD, not LSD. And it has nothing to do w fuel pump failures, unless the pumps need sulphur for some reason. I doubt it.

I'd like to see a controlled study on HPFP failures that rules out fuel issues, does one exist somewhere here or elsewhere on the web? I understand that VW would not be behind such a study. You have to ask yourself, though, why don't they all fail? Why do 99%, (or whatever it is), last for years and millions of combined miles w/o exploding? The mechanic in me wants to know why.
My understanding is the sulfur has a small lubricating effect. ULSD can be the difference, but haven't verified that. My 225k tdi Passat was 145k in Texas, so was well broke in. It was never an issue for me for 75k that I had it.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice!

FYI Volkswagen CPO for TDI is 2 years\unlimited mileage.
What does the 2 yr/unlim. cover. I cant seem to find info. on anything but the emmisions

edit: whoops reread and got some good info. that helps

Last edited:

CDKJudoka

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
That 2yr/Unlimited is the thing that pushed me to get the TDI over the 2015 GSW TSI. It is probably one of the biggest things that VW can do to market these over other CPO cars.