Need a new battery for my Golf TDI

theomarakas

TDI
2013 JSW
Odyssey battery

My battery for 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI croaked. It is the original battery 6 years old with 19,000 miles. Always on trickle charger. I'm suspecting that the trickle charger killed the battery. for the last year I've been watching it charging erratically, I'm suspecting that it may have dried out the battery even though I see some fluid through the sight glass but it did feel kinda lighter when I pulled it out of the car. I doubt that I got any stronger, by the way....
I ordered an Odyssey battery, 34-PC1500T for $300. Yes, very expensive. My co-worker who is a pilot for 30 years swears by them. Money isn't so important, I hate being stuck and waiting for a jump or a tow. I'm sure it will be a rainy or snowy cold day, in the middle of nowhere at night. Murphy's law. So I decided to beat the odds by getting the best battery out there, or at least the most respected brand. Can the best fail? sure they can, anything can happen. However, your chances of surviving all of the above may be better. AMEN !!!

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
Batteries should be checked that the liquid does not fall below the top of the plates.
12.65 volts is 100%, less than 12 is discharged.
With car running the alternator should be charging at 14 to 14 1/2 volts across the battery terminals.

I think I'll go out and buy a replacement battery for my Rambler today from Costco.
It will be to replace the 21 year old Motorcraft that is in it now.
Or maybe I'll go and check its voltage first.

Last edited: