80,000 mile vs 100,000 mile timing belt changes

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
The original VW factory recommendation on our Passat TDI timing belt change interval was 100,000 miles. Than a couple of years later VW adjusted the change interval to 80,000 miles.

My original belt, tensioner, roller, and water pump went 80,000 miles before I had it replaced along with the BS module.

There have been some discussion in the past here that you can indeed go to 100,000 miles before the TB service, and I was certainly one that was thinking I could do so with my car also.

Fast forward to 82K on the timing components. I noticed earlier this week there was a good amount of coolant leaking from the front cover of the engine. I am very surprised to see that happen with a 82K mile water pump.

Yesterday I dove into pulling the car apart and I am very grateful my water pump was leaking as I found this.

This Gates brand timing belt is cracked right where the factory joint is located. I really do think this would of snapped in no time and I would of been looking at a headache full of head work!

Here is the leaking water pump that sounded the alarm.

A pic of the just installed components. New Contitech timing belt, INA tensioner, SKF roller, and Graf water pump.

So based on this experience, do your timing belts at 80,000 miles!

Last edited:

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
To go LONGER, you need the better (LONGER LIFE) Belt. Last year I had the better Belt put in, but I'll go still not the FULL 100,000 miles.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Acc. to the Bill from my GURU in Vancouver it is: AC1249K

Do not know the Brand.... maybe Continental.... it's a German TBelt

TDI smile

Veteran Member
TDI
Is that for a BHW engine?

Sorry, I got the ALH engine, 2002 TDI

I can give him a call. Right now, it just goes to the answering machine. Try later again.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Sorry, I got the ALH engine, 2002 TDI

I can give him a call. Right now, it just goes to the answering machine. Try later again.
Well the engines are different, but if there is a BHW part number for a longer life belt, that would be great to know.

For the record, I installed a 038-109-119-P (TB333) Contitech belt.

Last edited:

jet-tech

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI, 05 Passat Wagon (BHW), 02 Jetta (ALH)
Did mine at 80,000 and found the water pump starting to leak as well. VW certainly engineered that right on!

Gaggu P

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat B5.5 BHW
What is the reason for the change from 100k miles to 80k miles? Are the belts not strong enough to last that long, other components wearing down / breaking? I did my first TB change at just a little over 100k miles (166k km). Wondering if the second should now be done at the 80k mile interval?

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I have had two timing belts so far on my B5.5. First one at 57k when Oilhammer did the balance shaft retrofit. Then at 130k the new Graf water pump he installed started to leak. I am not blaming him, it is just these things happen. I couldn't trust driving it the 426 miles to OH shop with a leaking water pump, so I had the dealer do it. They put in a VW branded waterpump with the X in the name, so it is a rebuilt or re-manufactured pump. I now have 178k on the car and if I go on schedule, it would be 210k to have it done. One day at a time with a B5.5

AutobahnJon

TDI
2004 Passat
Mine field

My second belt lasted all of 61K so I just swapped the engine out. Separated right at the factory bonded area. I'll change the belt again at 225K.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
What is the reason for the change from 100k miles to 80k miles? Are the belts not strong enough to last that long, other components wearing down / breaking? I did my first TB change at just a little over 100k miles (166k km). Wondering if the second should now be done at the sat 80k mile interval?
Not sure on the reasoning, but FWIW the 82k mile INA tensioner and SKF roller idler spun pretty good. Definitely had a lot of life left. On the other hand, the timing belt and water pump is shot.

Like I said earlier, based on my experience, I would replace them at 80k intervals.

joegt3

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
According to my book it said to change the belt at the 90K service then again at the 100K service so I did it at 95K along with the delete.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon

That "stitch" in the duck cover of the belt is shown in the first post is present on all of the extended life belts, no cause for alarm. Some belts even have 2 stitches in them . It's just the outer wear layer it doesn't add much strength to the belt.
Upon inspection, the crack/split had gotten pretty deep into the second layer material. I am definitely glad I replaced it.

Also, with what AutobahnJon reported having the failure at the same area.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
Timing belts and WPs are mighty cheap compared to an engine.
Not to mention where the TB might fail...and the long walk home.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm pretty sure all ALH timing belts now manufactured have a 100K mile change interval. I'm not aware of any variations, and I don't think any of the shorter life belts are produced any longer. If the OE number for the ALH belt is 038 109 119M, it's a 100K mile belt. The "M" suffix indicates that.

On the BHW/BEW/BRM, I always suspected the timing belt change interval was shortened to cause people to check camshafts for wear. None of the components were changed when they shortened the interval, and it never appeared to us that early failure was an issue.

AutobahnJon

TDI
2004 Passat
@DeliveryMan
Mine didn't have a discernable stitch at the bonded point. The belt was changed at a VW/ Volvo/ Suburu dealership so they supposedly used a VW part, just saying.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VW doesn't make timing belts. Most VW boxed TDI belts are from Gates. Sometimes you'll see a Dayco belt. They're the same belts you buy in the aftermarket, only the box is different.