changing teansmission fulid

Dana B

TDI
I'm tring to change the transmission fulid in my 2005 passat,4 leters came out 2 wen t in I'm still tring is there a pump that might help to put the fulid back in?Thanks Danab

wtribeflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI sedan
Hope you know what you're doing. It's a rather precise procedure. There are many threads on how to do it. Search around first! You need to monitor trans fluid temp while pumping the fluid in with engine running. Fluid temp must not go over certain temp during procedure. Good luck

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I am interested to hear how you got 2 litres in without a pump of some kind.

What I used was a small hand pump of the plunger type and manufactured a suitable tip to fit in the fill fitting using 1/4" copper tubing.

You don't need to run the engine while filling. All you need to do is warm up the fluid for the final level adjustment. It isn't all that sensitive to temperature.

wtribeflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI sedan
In my experience you absolutely need the engine running to get all fluid in that you need. With the engine off too much fluid runs into the pan giving you a "false" full if you will. WARNING: the engine must be running to top off the fluid. This excerpt was copied directly from the myturbodiesel link in the post above.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
the best advise without a means to measure trans temp, you can buy a hand pump that fits in place of an oil fill cap, about the size of a quart of say Mobil one, car running for maybe 10 minutes, fill plug removed and leval, fill it until it spills out the fill with running. Every one I've done seems to require about 10 minutes of idle time on a cold engine and it will be close although I always monitor it.

Paul_L_Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I am interested to hear how you got 2 litres in without a pump of some kind.

What I used was a small hand pump of the plunger type and manufactured a suitable tip to fit in the fill fitting using 1/4" copper tubing.

You don't need to run the engine while filling. All you need to do is warm up the fluid for the final level adjustment. It isn't all that sensitive to temperature.
You absolutely need to run it while filling!

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
You absolutely need to run it while filling!

Only for the final top-off.
Technically yes you need it running for the final top off. But with the engine off, you can only fill 2-3 liters in the pan before it starts spilling out of the fill hole. Then you need to start the engine to circulate that fluid in the pan and then fill the rest of the 3 liters or so to make it full.