reverse gone ?

dcurbet

TDI
02 Golf 5 spd
with no throttle it will slowly back up but with throttle it will just sit there. Forward gears work fine and i still drive it 40 miles to work (one way) every day. 120K, automatic - have had it since 60K. No fluid change ever (in my possession) its a 2005 model.
what should i do from here? :confused:
a lot of things are soon due on this car - timing belt, brakes (all around) and now this trans issue. Good condition otherwise.
thx in advance for all advice.

dcurbet

TDI
02 Golf 5 spd
of course its just my luck... what would be the total cost to do this with an indy - i assume about 3 grand including the trans cost?

dcurbet

TDI
02 Golf 5 spd
anyone in the Northern VA MAryland DC area you can reccomend? timing belt is on the docket as well.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
likely a broken drum, zf calls it the D drum where the snap ring is held in place, it holds the clutches in place, once it breaks, no reverse.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
I have the transmission you need sitting in my garage and I am in South Fairfax County. When it was removed at around 114,000 miles to be replaced with a manual, it was not throwing any codes and working fine. But, it will need a new torque converter because it did go bad. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Linford Berry (tdiclub username: Mountain-Valleymotors) in Harrisonburg VA does good work and I recommend him.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Also Jeremy Hoover at PD Autowerks in Winchester.

My Chrysler minivan had reverse fail the same way you describe and I continued to drive it for 20,000 miles. :eek:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Also Jeremy Hoover at PD Autowerks in Winchester.

My Chrysler minivan had reverse fail the same way you describe and I continued to drive it for 20,000 miles. :eek:
What happens if you only have reverse? Have you ever seen the movie Smoke Signals?

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Is this failure due to lack of transmission service or something that "just happens"? Does changing the fluid every, say, 50-70,000 miles going to help avoid this?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Is this failure due to lack of transmission service or something that "just happens"? Does changing the fluid every, say, 50-70,000 miles going to help avoid this?
VW claimed that the fluid was "lifetime", while ZF, the manufacturer, recommended 60K mi. changes.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, ATF should be changed regularly, but in some cases stuff just breaks. All automatic transmissions have a potential for failure. They are just too complex and too fragile for their own good sometimes.

Our shop replaces a bunch of them in all kinds of cars all the time. It is just par for the course. And obviously the motoring public at large is willing to deal with this in order to not have to shift their own gears, because manuals are sadly going the way of the dodo. One of our fleet customers easily spends north of $15k every year just for the privilege of giving their driver's the "luxury" of not shifting their own gears. Heck, we had one guy have to replace the transmission in his Saturn Outook and his Honda Odyssey in the same year and then the next year the one in his Toyota Highlander died. All of them were AWD, too, making the replacement cost even higher. Not sure how a single household could withstand a ~$14k hit inside of 18 months like that (I know mine couldn't) but if there was ever a reason to swear off slushboxes forever, you'd think that would have been it!

As was mentioned above, the specific failure point inside may indeed be just one specific broken component. However, to disassemble the entire unit just to replace that one component is usually not the best course of action. That is why in situations like this, the whole transmission just gets rebuilt or replaced with a remanufactured one.

Luckily, Volkswagen's remanufactured units, which are done in Germany by ZF themselves (the folks who made the transmission in the first place) are actually not all that crazy expensive in the grand scheme of how much automatic transmissions cost, and they are complete so nothing needs to be changed over from the old one. They even come full of fluid. That is what we install here, and have good success with using them.

The other option is, and many people do this, is convert the car to a proper manual transmission. This of course involves more things than just swapping the gearbox. You need to install the clutch pedal and related bits, change the flywheel, axles, etc. and then need to change some software in some of the other modules to play nicely with the new manual box. And you need to source some of these items from outside the country, since no manual B5s with diesels were ever sold here and the gas transmissions, while they will bolt up, are not geared appropriately to take advantage of the BHW's monster torque.

Both my B5s will remain slushboxes as long as I can make them last, with regular fluid changes, because I'm of the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". But I despise automatic transmissions like poison, so if either of them so much as hiccups, I'll be converting to manual. However this may not be an option for a lot of people, as many prefer an automatic transmission.

Last edited:

Richey

TDI
2004 Passat
Mine on occasion, starts to shake violently in reverse, particularly if there's a large load in the car, (like 4 passengers, with car reversing downhill) Id say it happens 5% of the time, but its enough to have me worried. I cant afford a new tranny right now.

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta TDI 01M, '02 Jeep Liberty Renegade ALH TDI swap
Could just be a ten cent o-ring. I just pulled the valve body from one and found it to be blown out. There is a DIY out there for a Porsche 5HP19 that shows how to do it. If you drop the pan and find metal chunks, then it's the D drum.