Leaks from my car - Help..

Gaggu P

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat B5.5 BHW
Looking for help to figure out where and what my car is leaking

Looking for some help regarding some leaks under my car that look like oil. I just did an oil change yesterday and took pictures of the underside to hopefully give you guys a good idea of what I'm looking at that is leaking and what may have caused the leakage. In some of the pictures I've highlighted in red the areas where I see oil residue.

This is where the leaks spill/drip on to the skid plate:

This is a leak near the insert for the boost valve/gauge:

A leak near the front driver side of the car:

Leak near the timing belt cover:

Leak near transmission case (closer to the front of the car):

Leak near transmission case (closer to back of the car):

Last edited:

Gaggu P

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat B5.5 BHW
Thanks Scubanero, I had a feeling that was 'normal' as with a couple of the others. I'm more concerned with the one around the transmission. The last few pictures in my post.

Anyone have any information on these, do the transmissions leak at all or is there known cases of it happening? Could this just be engine oil coming from somewhere else and spraying on to there?

Thanks,
Gary

This one is just oil coming from the intercooler. Pretty normal, the source is the crankcase vent. It leaks out at the charge air pipe seal.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=114240&title=leak-near-front-driver-side&cat=6487

frosz

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI 1.9 AFN -98 (Manual) ~480 000km Passat TDI 1.9 AVG -00 (Manual) ~170 000km Golf Variant 1.6 16v AZD -02 (Manual Petrol) ~220 000km
Because of the wind speeds when driving the car it can be hard to see where the actual leak come from, the wind can push the oil everywhere.

I would recommend that you first make a thorough motor wash and let it be still while you check for leaks, let the car running.

Mine has been leaking from the intercooler for a long time and I'm not worried. A few drops here and there, barely visible on the oil stick.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
All of the oil toward the back of the engine is probably coming from the tandem pump seal. That's about what mine looked like. The oil will expand the o-ring seal in the coolant tee back there and likely crack the seal gland, so you should just replace the tee and seal while you're in there. I didn't because there was no coolant leaking when I did the TP and had to do it again when coolant started seeping a couple of months later…

The leak at the boost gauge pressure tap might be fixed using some teflon tape on the threads and it looks like the seals on the hose to the intercooler are shot - easy fixes.

Good luck and report back.

Gaggu P

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat B5.5 BHW
Last edited: