Someone with clogged intake take a look, please?

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
My car seems to be mostly ok with the mostly being due to it seems to drop off power at higher RPMs. It lags on low RPM and pulls very hard at from about 2000 to 3000. Seems like a clogged intake is possible from what I have read.
Instead of taking it all apart I decided I would take a quick peek and snap some pictures to see if anyone with experience thought I may have a problem.

This is looking through the EGR.

Thanks in advance.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Pull the EGR off and look, but so far looks like you'll be doing an intake cleaning:).
Don't forget to drain the lower boost hose of any excess oil. My .02.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
If you need confirmation yes your intake is very clogged. Cleaning it should improve power over 3000 rpm from what you have described sounds like your car is making boost, but having trouble passing enough air through that congestion there.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
If you need confirmation yes your intake is very clogged. Cleaning it should improve power over 3000 rpm from what you have described sounds like your car is making boost, but having trouble passing enough air through that congestion there.
It seemed pretty obvious to me but a little verification didn't hurt either.

My car is going to be soooo fast.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
it looks clogged from here:D... if you have known good maf using vcds you can graph measuring blocks 3 and 11 .... if your intake is clogged your car will make requested boost fine but the maf readings will stall ;)

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
lol egr and cooler delete time plus get rid of that CCV system. :)

Not necessary to delete EGR system, deleting it will reduce your fuel economy by few mpg's in colder temps like we have in our state. Have intake cleaned, get a Malone tune wit dynamic idle/EGR and don't have to worry about intake clogging for very long time and MPG stay same or better.