Low budget manual 5-speed swap.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The edges of the bolt are recessed and the middle sticks out. Hard to make it out in the picture because it can be interpret it either way. The easiest is to imagine the axle flange bolts with a pin in the middle. I've seen all sorts of bolt/nut heads over the years but not one like this. The closest ones I've seen are safety torx bolt heads but this one is a little different.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Princess auto has this set

The largest three have a hole in the middle. The largest one is 17mm wide, point to point.

That's the set I have - looks like it would work for you.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll measure the ID of that bolt head tomorrow. Going to help out a buddy with a transmission adjustment tonight.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lesson for the day. Install the hydraulic line between the clutch master and slave BEFORE imstalling the transmission. Otherwise it will take 2 hours and luck to get it in there without bending it. As per Windex's 6-speed post, I've loosened the brake booster and for that, had to remove the brake fluid reservoir to get to the torx bolts. Then with some straps and a jump rope, tide it up to get some room. The following 90 minutes were spent fiddling with the line from underneath to finally get it place. Also, connected the electrcal connector that is next to the axle flange. What's left are connecting the line to the brake fluid reservoir, install the axles and bleed the cluch line. Then it should be ready to fire.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You are probably right but the AC will add to the cost and to pull the engine, you need more room. Using a hoist to install is probably the most efficent way.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Snipped off the end of the brake fluid reservoir and connected the rubber hose from the clutch master cylinder. Then beld the system using a hand pump from Princess Auto. Might need to bleed it more but won't know untill I fire it up. Then the axles went in. They can be installed without disconnecting anything in the suspension but the passanger side is a real battle get it in. For the passanger side the key that after getting the spline end in the hub, raise the wheel a bit and the splines will slide into the hub. Today I'll bolt in the axles and then start the engine.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bolted in the axles with a couple of bolts just so I can fire it up. Pulled the transmission control module but when I turn the key, the starter doesn't engage. There got to be a relay that needs to be bypassed. I'm thinking the neutral switch relay, if there is one. Did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for. What am I missing?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks! :) It's alive. Now time to install the rest of the axle bolt and a spin around the block.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Went around the block a few times. All feels good, even the clutch. I'm going to try the ECU recoding tomorrow. Got a VagCom cable from a buddy.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
06' Jetta TDI dsg, 445,000 miles and counting!
Are you gonna leave the wire in place of the relay or are you going to hook up the neutral safety feature? it is super easy if you have the switch that bolts to the clutch pedal bracket. All you have to do is supply a ground through the switch to the ground for the relay you pulled (brown wire iirc). With the clutch depressed it feeds that ground to the relay, allowing you to start. You could also use a brake pedal switch in place of the cruise switch since it has 2 channels. Use one channel for the cruise and the other for the ground to the relay. One channel is off when depressed and the other is on. Use the off for the cruise and the on for the relay.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Personal preference, but I disable the clutch switch in every car I own.

Not a fan of placing pressure (clutch to the floor) on the thrust bearing in the engine every start, when the bearing has no oil (starting dry).

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
Great thread and nice pictures.
I'm getting gearbox from Frans (DUK) and shifter assembly.

Question on Valeo clutch kit not holding up. I know Newlite had some slippage after short spell.
Frans suggested pressure plate was not heavy enough. Does anyone know if the valeo
Pressure plate for European Tdi will work with the 1.8 ringear?

Or should I just stick with kit here?

Chris

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Kids and dummies that borrow or even just move your car never check that its in neutral before they turn the key, so I hook the clutch switch up.

A PD fires INSTANTLY and accelerates VERY quickly to a nice 903rpm idle, in gear or not. Gassers don't behave this way so the diesel is a bit more dangerous in this respect.
Having seen several gassers accelerate into walls and other car when started in gear, I can say from experience that they do lurch and drive as much as a diesel.

That said, every gas vehicle i have owned has also had the clutch switch delete.

I don't let anyone drive my car unless i have vetted their driving skills personally. If that disqualifies me from using valet services then so be it.

Many years ago when I was working on Saabs, none of them (at the time) even came equipped with a clutch/starter interlock switch. Something about assuming a certain level of competency, and if the level of competency wasn't there, then the person in question would be better off driving an automatic. :D

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I might hook up the neutral swith. At the moment it will stay as is. In the next couple of days I'll figure out whap pins on the transmission are for the reverse light. Also will contact the lcal Malone dealer to see if they can re-flash the ECU. Since I just ought the car, the reverse light and ABS must work to pass the safety inspection and the check engine light needs to be off for the emission testing.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
Great thread and nice pictures.
I'm getting gearbox from Frans (DUK) and shifter assembly.

Question on Valeo clutch kit not holding up. I know Newlite had some slippage after short spell.
Frans suggested pressure plate was not heavy enough. Does anyone know if the valeo
Pressure plate for European Tdi will work with the 1.8 ringear?

Or should I just stick with kit here?

Chris
My clutch slips anytime I try to accelerate hard in 3rd gear and up. It recovered briefly but one day i had to maneuver around a car on the freeway so I pressed the go pedal a little harder than usual and the rpms shot up while the car didn't do anything. Since then it now shutters in third if i push it too hard.

You could contact Valeo to ask them about the similarities between the two clutch kits. If the pressure plate has the same dimensions yet is heavier, then that would be the way to go. I can only assume that the flywheel portion of the kit is the same but that would need to be verified. Is there a different part number for the starters on the European model passats with standard 5 speed transmissions? If the starter gear is the same then that should answer your question about the ring gear on the flywheel.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For the reverse lamps, it's the two pins shown jumpered here:

Thanks for the picture, saw it in the 6-speed swap thread. On the FHN transmission the transmission plug end is different than a brake pad sensor plug and will need to figure out what pin is for the reverse light. Shouldn’t be too hard. I’ve contacted the EMT Tunning in Guelph and they can do the ECU reprogramming however, Mark is away till the 17th and until then, they can’t get the tune from him. Therefore, the project will probably be on hold for a little bit. Since I’m using a stock 1.8T clutch, the only change to the ECU will be the transmission coding.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the picture, saw it in the 6-speed swap thread. On the FHN transmission the transmission plug end is different than a brake pad sensor plug and will need to figure out what pin is for the reverse light. Shouldn’t be too hard. I’ve contacted the EMT Tunning in Guelph and they can do the ECU reprogramming however, Mark is away till the 17th and until then, they can’t get the tune from him. Therefore, the project will probably be on hold for a little bit. Since I’m using a stock 1.8T clutch, the only change to the ECU will be the transmission coding.
Oh he was not suggesting that you plug that plug in to the manual tranny...its pins 7 and 8 I believe that you have to tap into (look at the end of the plug, they are numbered!). You cut both wires and run them to the two wires that go to the plug that came with your transmission. It does not matter which wire goes where.

Unless you are talking about the plug that came with your tranny being different...IE...more than two wires. In that case I wouldn't know. lol

Last edited:

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
Great chatting Stuart,

I put a feeler out to Frans in Holland but he is celebrating their win in world cup bracket yesterday:D

From ongoing e mail..
i also don’t know yet if the 1.8t and 1.9tdi flywheels from these valeo kits are the same. Otherwise it might be possible just to swap the disc and pressure plate. Do you have a 1.8t kit over there so I can check for measurements?

Anyone know if the flywheel is the same on 1.8T far as thickness and bolt pattern weight etc as the European valeo 1.9 TDI clutch kit?

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
Great chatting Stuart,
Otherwise it might be possible just to swap the disc and pressure plate.
We also need to confirm that the tdi pressure plate is in fact a heavier plate. It would sure be a shame to go through all this trouble just to find out they were not!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know what you mean. My transmission didn't come with the other end of the transmission plug.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I do have a spare 1.8T flywheel that I can measure if anyone needs some data but I don't have another pressure plate.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Reverse switch connector,

Housing, 5pin - 443 906 235
Repair wire (contacts) - 000 979 133E

The housing is 5 pin but only cavities 2 and 3 are populated.

You only need one repair wire, it has a terminal on each end. I usually just steal a couple of contacts from a connector I have lying around, there are only a few basic types. Gas Injector connectors are a good source of this type.
Thanks! I have a spare 1.8T injector harness, I will harvest the contacts. Therefore, all I need ot buy in the housing (443-906-235)?