www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old August 18th, 2010, 16:57   #16
bonothoe

TDI(s): 1999 VW Golf
Default Another Solution: Fuses

If your brake lights don't work, and your glow plug dash light is flashing check:
1. The bulbs - top ones - (which you've probably already done)
2. The fuses in the side panel (#13 particularly)
3. The brake light switch above your brake pedal.
All of these are easy, inexpensive fixes that require NO TOOLS. (Although if you need to replace the brake light switch it is easiest if you remove the lower dash panel with the aid of a small star key.)
Don't pay the stealers $100 for a diagnostic unless you've exhausted all possible options.
bonothoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 17:42   #17
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Due to not always being able to find this Thread, I copied and pasted MOGolf's list many moons ago. I've also pasted that list in Posts giving him credit.

Good work MOGolf!
Old August 24th, 2010, 15:43   #18
greasemonkey

Thanks Mo, this is the gift that keeps on giving.
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 21:24   #19
2005passatsteve

I seem to have gotten very lucky. In the process of trying to remove my dash cover to get at the brake switch, I thought what if... and found that just the rear brake light fuse was blown!!!! I would have thought VW would have been a little more clear on lights being blown. My code reader did not pick up any P codes either, but I wonder if that was because the fuse was blown, not a bulb.

My older VW's say if the glow plug light blinks, it is water, and drain it off. The older cars even came with a bag and hose! I pulled over right away, checked the manual on the 2005, and all it said was "go to a dealer right away". When I got home, I drained the filter under the hood right empty, but the flashing light did not go away.
I checked out the rear bulbs, and not it either. (ps , it turns out that you have to remove that side bulb with the long extension first, before you break the tab )

Also, I just blew one of the front day time light bulbs, and no lights on the display! wierd eh?
2005passatsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:25   #20
PJVWGolf

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonothoe View Post
If your brake lights don't work, and your glow plug dash light is flashing check:
1. The bulbs - top ones - (which you've probably already done)
2. The fuses in the side panel (#13 particularly)
3. The brake light switch above your brake pedal.
All of these are easy, inexpensive fixes that require NO TOOLS. (Although if you need to replace the brake light switch it is easiest if you remove the lower dash panel with the aid of a small star key.)
Don't pay the stealers $100 for a diagnostic unless you've exhausted all possible options.
I started my Golf after stopping at the shop for a brief moment. Turned they key and car wouldn't start. So I tried again and after a few turns still no luck....did press the accelerator a few times but still no luck. Tried her again and she started with 1st attempt. Drove off and then the glow plug light started flashing, stopped the car, switched her off, waited a few seconds and started her again....same problem....flashing glow plug light. Drove home slowly....luckily 2km away. Read on a few threads to check the brake light switch and possible faulty bulbs. The brake lights work fine, no dead bulbs. I allowed the car to stand for about 2 hours, started her again and soon after idling for a few seconds, the light started flashing again. Started her this morning....no change.
I gather the only solution is to have her checked for error codes?

Can one damage the vehicle by driving her like this? Which of the errors/faults can be the worst scenario?
PJVWGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 19:20   #21
RacerTodd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: about 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJVWGolf View Post
I started my Golf after stopping at the shop for a brief moment. Turned they key and car wouldn't start. So I tried again and after a few turns still no luck....did press the accelerator a few times but still no luck. Tried her again and she started with 1st attempt. Drove off and then the glow plug light started flashing, stopped the car, switched her off, waited a few seconds and started her again....same problem....flashing glow plug light. Drove home slowly....luckily 2km away. Read on a few threads to check the brake light switch and possible faulty bulbs. The brake lights work fine, no dead bulbs. I allowed the car to stand for about 2 hours, started her again and soon after idling for a few seconds, the light started flashing again. Started her this morning....no change.
I gather the only solution is to have her checked for error codes?

Can one damage the vehicle by driving her like this? Which of the errors/faults can be the worst scenario?
Yes, you should pull the codes to see what exactly is causing the light.

As for damage, if certain sensors fail the ECU will substitute a generic value or use info from another sensor.
For example, if the engine speed sensor fails, the ECU will use the needle lift sensor info as a substitute. If the needle lift sensor also fails, then the engine shuts down.
So, if the engine is running, it may not be running at optimal settings but the engine is unlikely to explode immediately. I would want to get the codes pulled as soon as possible, though, so I could get the problem solved.
'01 Golf TDI, silver. (new work car) 558,000 miles!
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car) 654,000 miles <- Gone to a new home
RacerTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 14:43   #22
tfbiii

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

Old thread, but wanted add that mine started flashing after I put in LED replacement brake light bulbs.
tfbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 20:13   #23
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfbiii View Post
Old thread, but wanted add that mine started flashing after I put in LED replacement brake light bulbs.
Yeah, the circuit needs a clean (my term) electrical connection through a bulb filament in order to satisfy the ECU. For my ALH engine in the Vanagon, I mounted a separate bulb under the back seat (that's the nutshell story).

So, I suppose if you are good with wiring, you could tap into the circuit for
the brake light at or near the assembly on the left or right and mount a single bulb somewhere in trunk. That would give the ECU the info it is looking for.

The center light above the back window is not monitored. So, stay away from that circuit.
Old May 26th, 2018, 19:23   #24
tfbiii

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

Would this also be fixed with LED bulbs that are "CANBUS" compatible?
tfbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2018, 20:28   #25
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfbiii View Post
Would this also be fixed with LED bulbs that are "CANBUS" compatible?
To confirm CAN Bus compatibility, in the link below, scroll down until you find the paragraph about Bulb-Out..... I think you will find the answer there.

Note: This is a good read for those who have scratched there head about CAN BUS ....

https://www.superbrightleds.com/blog...led-bulbs/293/