The 500k club!!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I thought I posted this last week, when it happened.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
BRAVO Red, now some back story??? That an awful lot of miles. What's the good, bad, and ugly?! (And it looks like you need to fill up!)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
BRAVO Red, now some back story??? That an awful lot of miles. What's the good, bad, and ugly?! (And it looks like you need to fill up!)
Let's see... 11 years and 500k+ miles

I have never babied the engine and rarely short-shifted. I've tried to have at least one full-throttle acceleration most days, so have never had a problem with sticky turbo vanes (that I know of).

I replaced the first turbo at about 200k miles, but that was purely an upgrade as there was nothing wrong with the original one. The first replacement was still performing beautifully as of last winter, but there was a "wobble" in the shaft, so about 270k miles on that turbo.

I've had three different tunes: 1) a mild RocketChip tune with mildly upgraded nozzles, 2) what I think was a Kerma tune, with the first turbo replacement, and 3) a Malone tune with the current turbo. I was pretty happy with all of them at the time. I went to a "dyno day" once, but that was with the original turbo and "mild" tune: 140 hp and 210 ft/lb. At the peak I estimate I had around 160 hp and 260-270 ft/lb of torque. It's less now with the slightly downgraded turbo.

The original injection pump is still doing fine, though I have a spare on hand when I need it. I credit two things for the longevity of the IP: clean fuel because of the Cat 2-micron fuel filter, and either Primrose or Power Service DieselKleen for lubricity. (not so important now as all the diesel I buy is either B05 or B10)

The cylinder head was replaced at about 252k miles, about 30k miles after a water pump failure, when I foolishly took the Golf to a VW dealership. One of the roller/idlers failed, the bearings disintegrated, the idler locked up and the T-belt melted through in a second or two. That particular roller-idler did not come from the T-belt kit I had purchased from a recommended vender; it was an off-brand that could only have originated with the dealership. When I went back to the dealership, the service managed claimed that they never even removed the idler to access the water pump, but more than one TDI expert told me it had to come off to replace the water pump. Anyway, since then I've paid special attention to ensure I'm only using top-quality water pumps, and I never again let a dealer mechanic touch my engine.

A couple years ago the differential disintegrated and it blew a hole in the transmission case. I ended up with my original gears and new synchros in a used transmission case, and it's working well.

I've tried to follow normal maintenance schedules for things like brake flushes and gearbox oil changes. I believe I'm on the third alternator and third starter. I didn't have much trouble with the suspension or steering parts until I moved back to the Snow Belt aka Pothole Belt.

I go to dealerships for some stuff, like a driver's-side rear view mirror, a multifunction switch, and programming a new key. I tell them what I want, I tell them I don't want to pay for "diagnostic" charges.

I've used Mobil 1 5w40 almost exclusively since the first oil change. According to my spreadsheet, only three oil changes out of ~50 were with something else.

I think the Dieselgeek Panzer skid plate was a good decision, and the Recaro seats. The original seats were comfortable, but the Recaros are much better. Replacing the disgusting original headlight lenses with glass ones really improved the appearance and the visibility at night.

I have lost track of the number of sets of tires I've bought -- mostly Michelin all-season but now dedicated winter tires from November to April. And absolutely no idea how many headlight bulbs I've replaced. I was never tempted to disable the daylight running lights; I'm pretty sure they have saved me at least a few times.

This is a rough summary of the first 500k miles. A few 50+ mpg tanks, some in the mid-30s during times of extreme temperatures, a lifetime average of 40.75 mpg but notably better with the current turbo and Malone tune (usually 43-45 mpg over the last 50 tanks).

Hugowagon

TDI
04 jetta wagon
500.000 miles on a PD BEW 2004 jetta wagon !!

I could be in the few first to achieve this in a BEW ???

I'll post a little backstory later on today :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You 500k guys take great care of your cars! I'm amazed how nice they look with uber mileage.

Hugowagon

TDI
04 jetta wagon
519 000 miles on it today, had a smart actuator problem last couple of weeks that was a pain ! But tomorrow i'm going to do a Malone stage 4 tune with 3bar map and smart actuator delete :) i'll be good to reach 600 k !

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
It will take me a few more years to hit 804,672 km's (500,000 miles).....I'm just at 385,000 km.

Hugowagon

TDI
04 jetta wagon
There is more impressive cases of 1 owner and original engine, transmission, turbo, etc. than my car but i can't remove that it's 500 000+ miles.

Original motor blew around 440k miles and was replaced.

The car is a originally 5 speed automatic and i swapped it manual last summer.

I bought it from a co-worker, he bought it with the blown engine at +/- 440k, he insatlled a motor with a brand new vnt-17 on it but he never tuned it.

I bought it a 498k miles so i almost have no credits for a high mileage car but i'll be the one to break 1 000 000kms with it ! :)

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I made

Just rolled over today. I am the second owner, but this had 69K in 1998 when I bought it.

Still on original injection pump and turbo. The only power upgrade is PP520's. It still runs like a champ. I had a coolant leak that I chased for two years. I think it is finally under control. Perhaps because I threatened to sell it. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Congratulations! That's very impressive.

What's the needle on your fuel gauge doing?

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I am now officially a member!

:D
Congrats!

I would be well past 500k miles already if I still had my 02 Golf TDI. I sold it in 2010 with only 361k miles on it to a coworker whose son needed a car for college. I got great service out of it but I was finally getting the itch for something new again and that's when I got my 2010 JSW.

Be sure to zero the trip meter at exactly 555,000 miles. Be watching and ready to take a picture of the odo and trip meter when it reaches 555,555 miles and shows 555.5 miles in the trip meter. :cool:

How long can a properly maintained TDI last?? The world may never know.... :)

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
Congratulations! That's very impressive.

What's the needle on your fuel gauge doing?
Ha, it has been stuck like that for a while. I just reset the trip odometer at every fill-up (usually at around 700-750 miles, just to make sure) :eek:

TDI_Michael

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS
Bought new on 10-23-01. As I look back at the work I have done on it, it really has been a reliable and low cost to maintain vehicle as well as being fun to drive. Things that have been replaced include:

1 Starter
1 Clutch
1 Used transmission
1 Turbo
1 Replace camshaft & lifters
1 Complete front suspension rebuild
2 MAF's
2 Alternators
2 Struts / shocks
2 Complete paint jobs
3 Hoods
At least 6 timing belt / water pump changes

I have had to pull the head off as the bolt for the large roller broke after I did a timing belt change at 187k. When I replaced the roller and bolt I torqued to spec but there was still a slight amount of movement on the roller. Nothing I could see but I thought I could feel it. I knew I torqued it correctly and did not see any movement so I assumed what I thought I felt was only in my head. Looking back I should have went with my gut feeling that something was wrong. On the test drive 12 miles later the car killed luckily while I was at a stop getting ready to turn. I towed it home and found the bolt for the large T/B roller had broke apparently caused by the little bit of play the bolt had. I assumed the threaded hole must had been dirty to allow me to torque it to spec and still not be tight. As I said I could not even see the play, it had to be less than 1/16" but I assume that was enough. I drilled the bolt out of the block and pulled the head, did not see any damage but sent it to Frank in Missouri to be certain. No damage was found and the head was sent back with new valve guides, head resurfaced and valves touched up.
The car is stock other than an Oilguard bypass kit i put on it at 31k. I used to send off the oil for analysis at 15k intervals and the results were always good.

Overall the best car I have ever owned.

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Just hit 400k. Love the car still, and get over 50 mpg most of the time!

[/IMG]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155886347693872&set=pcb.101558863 47013872&type=3[/IMG]

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Man, after reading all these cool stories I can say that my car is a low mileage car at 207k miles LOL. I got a long way to go and all the time to get there.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Yeah, to hold on to a car long enough to get to these kinds of miles is impressive in itself!

(my 2000 is only now at 162k!- I [not my car] may never make it to 500k)

I was talking to a friend the other day about folks doing a TB on cars like these at 400k miles. In order to shell out for the TB one has to be fairly confident that the car is going to return the next 100k miles. Have to wonder how many other engines (not ALHs) out there that folks consider such things?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've worked hard to get over weighing repair costs based on the age and value of the car. This summer I had the A/C repaired on my son's '02, cost several hundred dollars plus parts. His Golf has 340K on it, may die tomorrow. But if you start not fixing things the car's demise is a self-fulfilling prophecy. And if you think about it, the value of the car is irrelevant. Fixing it is almost always cheaper than replacing it.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I always do the same thing. Break the repair cost into payment you would prefer to pay on another car. $100, for example. Will your car outlive these stupidly low payments? It’s a no brainer!

KAT90

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
Just hit 500k on my 99.5 Jetta. Still running strong getting 56mpg. Dropped if off today for TB, cam, lifters, oil pump chain/tensioner and tires.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I got bumped in the rear end of my Golf on Friday... completed its 540k service that morning. :(

Waiting to see how much they'll give me, so I'll know how much more I will have to pay out of my own pocket to fix it. :mad:

That is always the issue with driving a car like these. :cool:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That will be an interesting conversation with the insurance adjuster. When I had the windshield replaced on my Golf (which has only 258K on it), the glass company wondered why I was bothering. And it got worse when I insisted on ordering OE glass from the dealer instead of letting them install some unknown Chinese brand. Surprisingly comprehensive insurance covered all of it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I only carry liability.... because that is what the law requires. This is the first accident I have been involved in since I was 16. And that one, was also a rear ending while I was sitting still. That Volkswagen also survived and motored on another few years.

Funny you mention the windshield, I have a brand new one in the box for it at home, was going to wait until the paint work got done. :mad: