www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old May 26th, 2018, 05:15   #1
aktartt

TDI(s): 2000 Golf
Default Can't reproduce starts-and-dies behavior for mechanics

Several weeks ago my 2000 Golf suddenly acted up: started, then died. All the lights on the instrument panel were normal, and the so-called anti-shudder valve wasn't stuck. After about 15 tries, I had to have it towed. Once it was unloaded at the shop, it started right up and stayed running. The mechanics kept it for several days and were unable to reproduce the behavior. No codes had been thrown. So I picked it up and drove it for three days with absolutely no problems. Then on day 4 I got stranded again, tried for 15 minutes to get it to start, but it was the same thing: fired right up, then died with a slight wheeze/soft growl. Instead of calling a tow truck, I abandoned the car, then went back the next day. It started and kept running on the second try. I drove straight to the shop. Over a dozen or so attempts, it started and kept running, purring like a kitten. The mechanics say they cannot diagnose the problem until it exhibits the fires-and-dies behavior. Later that day, while I was running errands, there were a couple of times when it wouldn't stay running until try no. 4 or 5. Same behavior when I used the valet key, so it isn't an immobilizer issue. Once it's running, it never dies on me and sounds like it could go on forever.

Does anyone have any ideas? Fuel lines were replaced back in the fall, along with relay 109. Timing is right on the money, I'm told. I've searched the threads and cannot find any causes for the fires-and-dies behavior except (1) immobilizer and (2) ASV, and I believe I've ruled both of those out. The only pattern I can see is that the two times I was stranded, it was in the heat of the day, not early morning. Sorry for the long post.
aktartt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:25   #2
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

You need to have a proper ECU scan to check for any hidden DTC's. Did your mechanics do this, and if so, what are the error codes? Check the trusted mechanics by state stickie to see who is near you.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2018, 10:51   #3
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

This is possibly fuel related.
Start with a fresh filter and don't forget the thermal-tee o-ring.
If it happens again I would remove and inspect the tank pick-up.
After all these years it can get plugged with gunk intermittently.