www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old May 17th, 2018, 06:41   #1
Dalon

Fuel Economy: ~42
Default Camshaft replacement questions

Hello all! I am getting a new cam soon and had a few questions. My timing belt was just changed recently and I don’t wanna replace it when doing the cam. Can I just chalk the position of belt and pulley, pull the belt off then put it back on following install of cam? Also, if I install a BEW cam instead of BRM, do I use different bearings? Thank you!
2006 Jetta TDI - 190k - EGR & Cooler Delete - ECS Dog Bone Insert - Frank06 Cam - Mufflerectomy - VAG-COM Mods: Disabled: Seatbelt chime, cold diagnostics, TPMS, and DRL - Tail lights set to 40% brightness, Recoded cluster to UK, Coming/leaving home, Remote windows, Unlock all doors when key removed from ignition and unlock all doors with one click

Last edited by Dalon; May 17th, 2018 at 06:43.
Dalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:29   #2
jptbay
Veteran Member

No.

You must use standard lock down procedure and re-time the engine.
2003 Beetle, 18/56, 3 Bar MAP, 11mm pump, Bosio R520's, Cat fuel filter, PD lift pump, Kerma OMI, Kerma tune, IDParts lower boost pipe, Tyrolsport SMIC, Turbo S fender liner, PD150 intake w/racepipe, IDParts 2.5" stainless downpipe & 2.5" straight exhaust, ARP headstuds, ASV Pistons, I.E. I-Beam rods, BFI stage 1 mounts, Spec stage 3+ clutch/18lb flywheel, R axles, VR6 spindles, GLI big brakes F&R, 17" Enkei RPF1's, Koni FSD's, Evolution skid plate, McNally 30 PSI boost/EGT gauge, OEM HID's ...
jptbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:37   #3
Dalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptbay View Post
No.

You must use standard lock down procedure and re-time the engine.
Right. Iím gonna get the proper tools but I donít have to replace the timing belt correct?
2006 Jetta TDI - 190k - EGR & Cooler Delete - ECS Dog Bone Insert - Frank06 Cam - Mufflerectomy - VAG-COM Mods: Disabled: Seatbelt chime, cold diagnostics, TPMS, and DRL - Tail lights set to 40% brightness, Recoded cluster to UK, Coming/leaving home, Remote windows, Unlock all doors when key removed from ignition and unlock all doors with one click
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:47   #4
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

The cam sprocket turns independently of the cam hub underneath it, so putting a mark on that isn't really going to help you. When you set the belt tension, the three bolts holding the sprocket to the hub will be loose, so it turns independently of the cam & hub.

In order to get your chalk mark in the right place, you would have to put the sprocket on turned a little bit clockwise from where it needs to end up, and then hope it moves back to the right spot once you apply tension. Also hope the crank doesn't move while you're doing this.

It's just not worth it and is prone to failure. The locking tools are on ebay for $15.

Edit: Just saw your new message. Yes, you can take the belt off and put it back on with the proper locking tools. If the belt, rollers, tensioner, and waterpump are still within their service life (or fairly new) there's no reason you can't just continue using them. By not replacing the belt, you also don't have to remove the motor mount.
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:54   #5
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyways... you'll want to be sure to order new lifters with your new cam.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 08:00   #6
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalon View Post
Right. Iím gonna get the proper tools but I donít have to replace the timing belt correct?
Correct.
As has been mentioned, replacing the cam seems not too difficult. But parts and procedure are critical.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 08:12   #7
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

By the way, since you're replacing the cam, I assume you're going to have to remove the hub from the cam. Just be aware that it doesn't come off easily. I've used a hydraulic press to do it.

This is the proper tool for pulling the hub off:

http://www.metalnerd.com/catalog/pro...b7bbe6c8de5e9c

https://www.idparts.com/pd-cam-hub-p...em-p-4755.html
Old May 17th, 2018, 15:36   #8
Dalon

Thank you guys for all the help! So what are the tools I must have? Was reading on some other posts that you don’t have to buy the puller tool and other tools so what are the tools I must have?
Old May 17th, 2018, 17:10   #9
Nohlan_4

For sure need both locking tools. Also the cam counter hold tool is essential. To get the cam hub off I just loosened the bolt then hit it with a punch with the cam still bolted down, can’t off pretty easy actually.
Nohlan_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 17:26   #10
Dalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohlan_4 View Post
For sure need both locking tools. Also the cam counter hold tool is essential. To get the cam hub off I just loosened the bolt then hit it with a punch with the cam still bolted down, canít off pretty easy actually.
Alright thank you! And what 2 locking tools specifically? Do you have the part numbers?
Old May 17th, 2018, 18:25   #11
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

https://m.ebay.com/itm/For-AUDI-DIES...AAAOSwICpaH8i3
Old May 17th, 2018, 22:36   #12
Franko6

Dalon, if you are working with me. I can provide everything you need, loaner tools. Information, directions, all the technical support. All you have to do is ask. The bearings are the same.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 22:43   #13
Franko6

Also, there are tools you can sink money into, but a 5 lb hammer and a 1/4" punch knocks the cam pulley off. If you budget it tight, save that spent money for a good cam.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 08:48   #14
Nohlan_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalon View Post
Alright thank you! And what 2 locking tools specifically? Do you have the part numbers?
I used these ones. Then just resold them after I was done. Much higher quality than ebay stuff.

http://www.metalnerd.com/brm
Nohlan_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 13:56   #15
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

If you're working with Frank on this, you won't get better advice for that particular job.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote