Good looking 15s for a MK4 wagon?

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
I know that sounds silly but the silver MK4 wagon I've just acquired came with a set of brand new, unused, Michelin all-seasons mounted on OEM Montereys. Unfortunately the Montereys have 15 years of caked/baked on brake dust that is so bad I can't get it off (tried rim cleaner, oven cleaner, Zep 505). It is seriously caked on bad. So I'm looking at maybe picking up a set of replacements. I don't mind the Montereys, also seem to be plenty of Jaramas around and I kinda like the rally look of them. Any other suggestions for 15s that look nice on the MK4 wagon?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Aren't Montereys 16s?

Regarding 15s, I've had a lot of different wheels on my Wagon but one of my favorites is Avus 1 wheels. These were OE from '99.5 - '02. There are a lot around a low prices. Buy a couple sets and pick the four best ones. They're light, strong, and i think they look good. In fact I had new tires put on mine today.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
That is correct. I like the 5 spoke look myself, and an Avus wheel only weighs 17.5 pounds. It's a great wheel. The only thing most people don't like about them really is that they're ubiquitous and the logos fall off the center cover after a few years. If you polished them they would look like 15 inch versions of fat fives.

Cheers,

PH

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I suspect that would cost more than the Montereys are worth. I'd rather pick up another set and shift the Montereys to winter duty.
Our local PDR/Wheel Repair guys charge ~$70/wheel if there's not too much curb rash.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Paint the Monterey's black, they look good on a silver wagon.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Should be. I like those. Didn't get the City cars in the US so we don't see them.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I typically dislike talking $$$, but what's your budget like for this question? I can suggest some, but you probably won't like the price tag that comes with them. As as wheelwhore, I'm down to talk wheels all day. 1 piece, two piece, three piece and such.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
I typically dislike talking $$$, but what's your budget like for this question? I can suggest some, but you probably won't like the price tag that comes with them. As as wheelwhore, I'm down to talk wheels all day. 1 piece, two piece, three piece and such.
Not looking for anything crazy expensive. I've been sticking with OEM since they can be readily found on kijiji for <$200/set although I'm open to other options. Think I've also ruled out the Avus. Just isn't doing it for me on a silver car.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
I picked up some Jaramas for CAD$120. Can't go too far wrong at that price. I just wasn't loving the Avus on silver cars and the Jaramas are almost as light. In the long run I'll be looking for some VR6 16s but I'll use up my 15" rubber first.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Aren't Montereys 16s?

Regarding 15s, I've had a lot of different wheels on my Wagon but one of my favorites is Avus 1 wheels. These were OE from '99.5 - '02. There are a lot around a low prices. Buy a couple sets and pick the four best ones. They're light, strong, and i think they look good. In fact I had new tires put on mine today.

These wheels are superb! I've had various 15, 16, 17 and 18, the 18's looked pretty cool but now onto these and it's transformed the feel of the car.
It could be partly age related but this is the best my car has ever felt on the road imo