Driver's window sticking

Steve777

Veteran Member
The driver's door window is having problems. It will go up and down just fine for the top 60% or so of travel. Below that it starts making groaning noises and eventually stops about 75% of the way down. Like it had hit an obstruction of some sort, or thinks that it has bottomed out. On the way up, it makes some noises at first then is fine from about the 60% to the top.

I'd like to fix this, but don't want to order unnecessary parts. And if possible would like to not have to take the door apart more than once.

Can anyone here identify what the likely cause is from these symptoms? New regulator? Window channel gummed up or rusted? Any thoughts?

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
First, I would say which car you have. (year and model at least)

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Do you have VCDS? Could be an electrical problem.

If you read the OP, which talk about the window moaning and groaning going up or down doesn’t suggest electrical.
I could be wrong but last checked electrical issues don’t make noises. [emoji12] lol
Sounds more mechanical.

Bajan

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
All those cars had bad window clip hardware. Seems 99% were fixed. Believe you can expose the clips with a partial door removal and the window half way up. Also check the track is not filthy or misaligned.
If you do need regulator parts, like the clips, they may be hard to find new.

Steve777

Veteran Member
Thanks for detailing the possibilities everyone.

The clip thing sounds interesting, is there any test I could do on the window/door before opening it up to confirm or rule this out? Something like trying to rock the window in its channel or the like? I thought the clip failure caused the glass to drop into the door, but maybe that is only after both clips go.

Also on the track mechanism. Short of outright breaking, is it common for them to fail by getting "stuck" at a point in the travel?

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
The simplest way to check things out, is just remove the door panel and look through the black plastic O ring donuts. Takes 5mins.
The clips are available if needed, metal clips are the best and solves that issue for life .

Bajan