87.7 Radio Fix

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
My 2015 GSW stop-sale has the common 87.7 problem, along with a number of operational anomalies in the radio that my original 2015 GSW that I did the buyback on never had. At my last service I brought it in, and was informed that while they could do the upgrade, the technician advised the process sometimes gets "stuck" and it may take 5-6 hours to complete, and that sometimes the radio gets bricked. Has anyone experienced this or hear any such thing? It only has about 1,000 miles left on warranty so need to deal with soon, but if it really may take that long I'd have to think about a rental or some such. Or is this BS and should I try another dealer? These guys haven't impressed me in other matters.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
My dealer agreed to do it for no charge (a couple months ago), but yesterday I noticed it did it again :confused:

Now I have to go in and double-check the version, which I thought I did. Not sure about whether they're telling you the truth but if your radio gets bricked during the process I'd assume they would have to replace it. Now's the only time you can get any of this fixed under warranty so you don't really have much option unless you want to ignore this annoying bug for as long say you own the car.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, true they should be on the hook if they brick it, but who wants all that. Like you said, I'm kind of forced to act soon, but I guess was looking to gauge the likelihood of headaches. Of course you telling me the problem reoccurred isn't reassuring.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
They did it while they did phase 2 so I'm not sure how long the process took but there weren't any negative side-effects. Of course, I have to verify it was even done before we conclude it re-occurred :)

EDIT: I tried to check the version but couldn't remember how. The radio wasn't on 87.7 when I turned it on to check. I'm not sure why that happened yesterday but it's the only time I remember since the fix a couple months ago.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Had mine fixed 8 months ago and it hasn't returned. They did it during the 30K mile service and it was done in a couple of hours.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Software version P4430 (TSB 91-15-07). Has worked perfectly for 14 months.

TDI73

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
TSB 91-15-07 - they should be able to just search based on VIN and see all of the recalls, etc.... "Radio reverts to 87.7" It should not be more than 1 hour.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
I just lost all my HD stations. That's been going on for about 5 days now. Is that related to the 87.7 revert and subsequent fix?
I haven't had it reset back to 87.7 yet.

Last edited:

Homerjj

TDI
1984 Jetta Turbodiesel, 1983 Caddy AAZ, 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
I'm having the same issue & I was told today by the dealer that they hadn't heard of any software fixes. Their solution was to was order a new unit for my car.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Got it done last week, in and out in less than 1.5hrs, and they certainly weren't working on it all that time. Problem seems to be gone, verified that software version is higher than what it had.

BartongTDI

TDI
VW Golf MKVII 2015
I just lost all my HD stations. That's been going on for about 5 days now. Is that related to the 87.7 revert and subsequent fix?
I haven't had it reset back to 87.7 yet.

It’s just a setting that’s turned off. I can’t remember how to navigate to that part of the menus but I fixed it after my phase 2 fix.

JBizz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 vw golf tdi
LMAO i thought my car was going nuts. Ive been away to long. How do u look up the version? This 87.7 would make me laugh cuz i did tune in the station i had and it was delayed signal by 20sec.