ALH engine whistle when reving

mahir

TDI
1.9TDI ALH
Hi, i have this problem and its anoying. When i push the gas and when ist over 1500 rpm it whistles. But when i slowly pust the pedal it doesent. So i guess its the turbo. The egr is also leaking from the hole but i still think its the turbo. I made a video https://youtu.be/t090GFwPrDI

Here is the picture of the egr valve

Last edited:

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Did you disconnect the charge air hose just for the photo, or are you driving around like that?

mahir

TDI
1.9TDI ALH
No i was just checking out how the egr looks if its dirty and made a photo of it then.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
They get that way, pretty normal. I guess your looking for a small air leak in one of the big tubes or could be the turbo bearing, they spin fast enough to make a whistle.
These engines do make noise, is this something you heard all of a sudden?
Can you shrink or thumbnail that photo?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think the intermittent issue with the N239 or the leaking EGR would cause a whistle. But a broken EGR cooler pipe or boost leak would. Look at the boost hoses and connections for oil, which would indicate a leak. And look at the EGR cooler pipes as well as your downpipe for soot. A broken downpipe at the flex or CAT (common) could cause the whistle you're hearing.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I'm not positive but I think in block 13 the deviation may be out or the recommended range.
Low of -0.45 to 0.56 may be to wide.
Someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I'm not positive but I think in block 13 the deviation may be out or the recommended range.
Low of -0.45 to 0.56 may be to wide.
Someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.
-2.0 to 2.0 is the spec, but generally if you're pushing 1.0 or more you should take a closer look at why (injectors or compression).

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
-2.0 to 2.0 is the spec, but generally if you're pushing 1.0 or more you should take a closer look at why (injectors or compression).
I thought I read the spread through the range you listed was lowest to highest was 1.0 max (maybe less).

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
My guess is a leaky EGR stainless steel laminated gasket singing.

mahir

TDI
1.9TDI ALH
so today i did a long high way drive and then inspected all the big hoses and found nothing, the boost leak you mean the pipes behind the egr that are tubes protected by cloth ? those i dident check. I found the wires connected to EGR one was split so i improvised today and no more error tomorow il go to the vw dealer if he has 20 cm of exact wires so i can sold them new. Hard to find car wires here. So i can only wait till i go to Bosnia so i can lift the car on the lift and inspect everything else under. Got pretty anoying allready. What do you suggest i take the whole egr off and inspect? Also ill make soapy wather and try it on the pipes and hoses. Should i also inspect my nozzles? So and so i was wondering to replace the 185 with 205 ones. Do i need to optimize with vcds if i do so?

mahir

TDI
1.9TDI ALH
All looks to be okay, i found one of the boost lines behind the egr valve with a hole in it and replaced it. Now car doesent start to whistle that soon but still does. I will try to replace all the lines but the mechanic said its the turbo. :(