TDI Ranger Build

adam4584

TDI
'04 B5.5 Passat, '09 Jetta tdi
i'm sure you thought of this but hurst makes a short shifter for the M5OD to help solve your clearance issue on your shifter

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
looking really good man, nice fab work and pipe routing....clean, just the way I like it!! :).... does your ranger use a heater control valve? I don't see one on the firewall...if there is one behind the dash it could stop flow from the small coolant nipple on the back of the head.... I'm sure you already addressed this.... keeeeep us updated!!! ;) BTW...is that the slot above the heater hoses for the ford ecm?...looks like it's begging for some bosch electronics!!

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
looking really good man, nice fab work and pipe routing....clean, just the way I like it!! :).... does your ranger use a heater control valve? I don't see one on the firewall...if there is one behind the dash it could stop flow from the small coolant nipple on the back of the head.... I'm sure you already addressed this.... keeeeep us updated!!! ;) BTW...is that the slot above the heater hoses for the ford ecm?...looks like it's begging for some bosch electronics!!
Thanks Jim. Yes, the pipe work is ending up very simple which was my goal from the beginning.

The heater control valve was actually on the engine bay side. I was hoping to use it but deleted it and my coolant glow plug housing to keep the heater hose routing simple. The design is fairly different from a yota in that it bypasses the heater core while maintaining full flow through the circuit....I'll see if I can find a picture.

One question I haven't been able to answer is whether or not deleting this bypass valve will have severe ramifications on the HVAC system performance? With the vw hvac system the heater core is bypassed by the temp door. Is this the same with the ford system or is the heater core always in series with the a/c condensor?

The slot above the heater core is begging for some bosch goodness but it isn't nearly wide enough to work. I'll open up the slot and fab up a box to mount the ecu.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I have the stupid design on the big truck, the heater core is always active, I have a valve in line at the firewall, I shut it off during hot weather. Some people add the control valve from the Ranger to the Superduties.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Thanks Honeydew. If I were to use something like that it would completely cutoff flow to the heater core and therefore my small coolant port of the back of the head. I could reroute it to the inlet of the water pump which isn't the end of the world.

The nice thing about the Ranger bypass is it doesn't shutdown the flow, just bypasses the heater core.

Here's a pic I found online:

Normal operation the flap allows the lines to flow straight through to the core. When vacuum is applied, the flaper closes those ports off and the coolant bypasses the core completely while still maintaining flow.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Cheers Nick, wasn't sure how you were setup but it does sound like the ranger valve would work better for you. Bonus is they are only around $20.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Coolant Lines, Version 2

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've now installed the coolant bypass valve. The small line coming off of the head goes into the line nearest you that returns to the water pump (the modified hard pipe). The far line is the large outlet on the back of the head (black plastic outlet pipe).

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Charge Air Pipes cont'd

My buddy had a heck of time welding these junk chinesium pipes. He also tackled the airbox plate, MAP bung and CCV bung for me. Hell of a guy. ;)

A couple of guys thought the weird discoloration might be due to the pipes being anodized? Anyone ever seen this before? I'll throw a coat of paint on them once I cut the holes for the bungs.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I also started fabbing up a bracket to hold my proportioning valve, fuel pressure regulator, power steering reservoir and the fuel filter.

I still need to figure out the placement of the weldnuts for the latter two and weld them in place. Oh, I'm also going to be welding in some weldnuts for the Diestl mod when I decide to add that in.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Thanks Jon. It is so simple I didn't use much of my ebay piping kit. I thought it was powder coated but this behavior rules that out I think.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Heh, I thought you were in the middle of posting more so I deleted my post, here it is:

Is the piping anodized or is it powder coated? I seem to remember it being more of a powder coat.

We do have some anodized pulleys that went in an oven for another process and they did turn out a bronze color similar to what you see but not quite.

I do like the simplicity of that piping!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
That is strange on the piping color change !.... It may just be a clear coat that doesn't like heat .... Looks cool to me ;) .... Looks like a beetle PS reservoir .... Very good config for swaps IMHO, are you going MAF'less? .... Nice and clean under there, good work :)

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
Nick, your work is impressive! When you get this truck on the road, I'm going to want a ride.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Nick, your work is impressive! When you get this truck on the road, I'm going to want a ride.
You bet Richard. Would be fun to run next to (ok, ok, behind:eek:) your Cummins. We were actually visiting family down in Beldenville last weekend. Next time I'll have to drive the truck and stop by.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I finished up the bracket and the paint is drying as I type. Pictured: Jetta/Golf fuel filter bracket, New Beetle power steering reservoir, fuel pressure regulator, brake proportioning valve.

And these are the fuel connections for the fuel pressure regulator. From bottom to top: supply from tank, return to tank, supply to filter.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Charge Air Pipes, cont'd

I still had to open up the holes for the MAP and the CCV before I could throw some paint on the pipes. Here's some detail of my ebay MAP bung kit if you haven't seen one of these before:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Cooling System, part 3

I finally got around to painting the radiator and intercooler brackets. With these finished I was able to unwrap them and do my final install.

Probably not necessary to put the grille and whatnot on at this point but it felt like progress. :)