LSD and 5th gear install shop?

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Well I am wondering if anyone could suggest a good shop that could do a Peloquin LSD and .65 5th gear swap (parts already provided by me)

I would provide the Tranny already removed to cut down on the labour cost plus I plan on doing my clutch amongst other things while the shop does my LSD and 5th gear.

Like anyone looking for a good shop at a reasonable price.

Unless there is is someone here that has experience and willing to help me perform such a task.....since it would be a great opportunity to work on a tranny and learn someting along the way.

Dennis

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Vik F said:
lol..no i mean i was looking into this..i was going to , but u can take the lead on this one ;)
passing the puck i see....you do know I have work to do here....
I can't just price out tires and look for shops all day...:D

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Vik F said:
yeah..back on topic Mike....D, did u call them yet? tires, email sent...
Ya I called...

I asked if they do tranny work...I said peloquin LSD and 5th gear swap on my O2J tranny.

The guy said...Ahhh we don't get into that stuff...

so I guess techmax is off the list of possible shops.

:cool:

CountryGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 E320 Bluetec
Want to go play golf or drink beer while your car gets serviced? I know a good shop at the corner of Penetanguishine Road (aka HWY93) and Horseshoe Valley Road. It's about 80 km north from Major Mac/HWY400.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Toronto_Vento said:
H2O? Probably pricey.
John I asked them already.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=171354&page=2

This was what I was told which is understandable.
"We’ve had too many problems with customer supplied parts. They always end up costing us more time than quoted. Something is always missing, damaged or broken. We also have to be able to stand behind our work. If you supply a part we install, how can we warranty our work based on your customer supplied part? We simply can’t. Our company stands behind our work 100%, that is the way we do business."

VwPodRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD150, 98 Jetta TDI
H2 sports in george town is a great place to get these things done. i would do them for you but i would not want to risk damaging anything due to the fact that it is not my car. but this is a great mod and if you want a professional to do this i would recommend H2sports in Georgetown. go to their site. www.h2sports.com they do very good work

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
VwPodRacer said:
H2 sports in george town is a great place to get these things done. i would do them for you but i would not want to risk damaging anything due to the fact that it is not my car. but this is a great mod and if you want a professional to do this i would recommend H2sports in Georgetown. go to their site. www.h2sports.com they do very good work
VwPod...read post #13

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Might be worth calling some dealerships and asking who they use... Most likely they don't do these things in-house.

(whether they'd admit to that is another matter)

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Yes dealership is another option I have talk to Jett from Cedarbrae Service.
good guy he says he can set me up with something.

Another place I know of is a place called Almost Racing here in markham. The person there used to be a VW mechanic at Cedarbrae and I always trusted him to do work on my car. He took over the business after his father passed away.

There is also a place by my work in pickering called Auto solutions. The guy there is a VW guy and a really reasonable guy.

These are my 3 option for shop/persons I would trust if I decide not to attempt this install myself with Doc. The only worry I have it the reassembling of the Gears. I have read that if you are not swapping the pinion and ring gear it should all match up well will no shimming or adjustments needed. This preloading and stuff is a little over my head.

VwPodRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
would it be more worth installing a 6 speed tranny instead of doing a fifth gear swap. would there be lower rpms in 6th gear on a 6 speed tranny or 5th gear on a 5 speed transmission with a 5th gear swap.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
VwPodRacer said:
would it be more worth installing a 6 speed tranny instead of doing a fifth gear swap. would there be lower rpms in 6th gear on a 6 speed tranny or 5th gear on a 5 speed transmission with a 5th gear swap.
I am not sure never really looked into it...considering that my 5th gear set was just a little over $300CAD. not sure what a 6speed tranny is but I am sure its a lot more.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I don't think that the 6th gear would really add any reduction in RPMs over the 5th gear swap. Like Dennis said, though, the 5th gear swap is simply a gear change and costs $300 CAD +...the 6 spd tranny is close to 1500 CAD because you have to change more than just the transmission.

VwPodRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
where do you guys get your 5th gear swap in canada from. also a euro 6 speed tranny will run you around 3000 can. since you have to change. the tranny, axles, starter, clutch, flywheel, and thats about it. lots of work and lots of money. lol. so where do you guys get the fifth gear. thanks alot

PHAT-DUB

Vendor

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
VwPodRacer said:
what is the best final gear to go with for a PD engine. thanks alot
Ryan
I went for the talliest which is the 065 gear set, not sure if it is listed in the link I posted before but you can ask for it.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
This is a longshot but Danny at Brampton Transmission center completley overhauled my transmission for me in no time. when i went there with tranny issues he gave me complete comfort they he knew what he was doing. Granted mine is a take out old put in new kinda job they still may have experience doing 5th gear upgrades and Limited Slip Differentials. They guy was recommended to me by bramgate VW. Give danny a call and see what he can do for you.
---------------------
Brampton Transmission Center
Address : 298 Rutherford Rd S, Brampton, ON L6W 3K7
Telephone : 905-451-7799
Category : Automobile Repairing & Service
Directory : Brampton