Golf is reaching 200k and needs alot of work done to it...time to sell?

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
After about $2500 in parts these past months including turbo, cam, timing belt, tandem pump, egr valve, filters clutch/flywheel and oils...

im still getting around 36mpg - 37mpg and the car still has a hesitation in the 2k rpm range where the car literally shudders and "misses" until higher rpm is reached - When my EGR is unplugged it doesnt shudder at all; Even with a brand new EGR it shudders...any ideas? torsion value? ASV?

Im assuming the DMF is toast as when i press in the clutch a bit it rattles very loud so i have a new clutch and flywheel in stock

It leaks oil a few drops a day but how do i check if it needs a new rear main seal?

Around the headgasket its wet but would this mean my headgasket is going?

Tie rods are due for replacement and so are the CV boots (also needs alignment so after all this ill bring it to the shop

Knowing what i mentioned would you sell the car? Im willing to fix it but i have no ideas what else the problems are with the hesistation, oil leak, head seepage, etc but i can take photos if needed as i want to get this resolved just need your help

Many thanks in advanced

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
You are looking at the whole pie, not pieces of the pie.
Timing belt, cam etc, do that all at once, $1000 in parts.
Save money
Clutch rattle could be throw out bearing or dust shield, wait til it dies, then fix it. Good stock power clutch is $200.
Save more money
What is wrong with your turbo? If boosting fine, don't touch it.
Keep saving money.
Tandem pump, what's wrong with It? $240 in parts and a 10min repair
Yup, keep saving money.
Keep checking oil level until you need a clutch, then replace rear main seal while you're there.
Head gasket, are you using/losing coolant? If not, it's something else, stop worrying.
Tie rod ends and ball joint are cheap and easy, do them and have it aligned. $80 in parts, $50 alignment.

Last edited:

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
Well compare it all to a car payment. Average car payment is somewhere in the $400/month range.....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
200K miles is nothing. But I'd take it to Matt Phelan at Diesel Autoworks https://www.facebook.com/matt.phelan83 and have him assess its condition and what it really needs. He'll give you straight answers.

The real question is if you still like the car and want to keep it. If not, then walk away, because you're always going to regret the $$ you spend if you've fallen out of love.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
im in the same boat. just did a clutch and a tune. that was $1100.

was told I need a new cam. timing belt is due very soon. theres another $1500 total.

now my turbo or something else feels weird, probably another $1000 with my luck.

not to mention the other small things... $500 or so worth.

do I really put $3000 into a car that I paid $4000 for 3 years ago?!

its tough. at that price, its almost cheaper to run/abuse it till it dies (could be tomorrow, could be in 5 years), throw it out and buy another used one for $3000, run that for 3-5 years till it dies, throw it out and buy another, etc...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I used to drive $500 cars until they dropped in my younger days. You need to always keep 2 though for when one dies. Then buy another backup. What is cheaper if to learn to do your own work. Repairs are much cheaper if you are doing the wrenching and only have to buy parts. Especially when you can only replace the things you deem necessary. I still keep a clunker around for guests and when the kids or others need a backup.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Do your own work and it is at least 1/2 price. The average car payment is actually closer to 550 with like 84 month lengths. You can buy a lot of parts on 550 a month and doing your own work. But if you don't want it then sell it BEFORE you blow it up. Seems foolish to blow up an engine due to not taking care of a car. I don't drive on bald tires and expect to stay on the road full of snow. If the timing belt is due, change it. If cam is worn do at the same time which together is about 800 and a 1/2 day of your own labor. Turbo is same time and price. Clutch is same time and price. Then you have a good running car for a long time again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk