Toyota Tacoma ALH Swaparoo!!

The Shootist

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle GLS TDI
You gotta remember the stock 4 banger in these trucks makes less torque than the TDI does stock. My mildly modded TDI makes double the stock torque and 50% more HP that the 22re in the stock Toyo.

I really want to do one of these swaps...just need money to fall from the sky 1st.

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
Jim, so once you upgrade, you plan to keep the front engine mount setup you have? Going back and forth on which approach I want to take. Should be starting this setup within the next 2 weeks. Just waiting for the ACME kit to arrive now.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Jim, so once you upgrade, you plan to keep the front engine mount setup you have? Going back and forth on which approach I want to take. Should be starting this setup within the next 2 weeks. Just waiting for the ACME kit to arrive now.
Yes...for now...if it breaks it breaks...but I feel confindent in the "five bolt" upgrade ....going to go wheeling next month when uwharrie opens back up so that will put it to the test also:) ....not too far from swapping the turbo ...just have to clear some espacio y tiempo ...

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
how do you like that Trail-Gear clutch?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Jim - on your fuel system: Did you use one return line back to the tank combining both the return from the filter and the regulator? TIA!

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
nice idea, noted.

Jim, in reading all of the Toyota conversion threads, I don't see many mention clutch choices. For mine, I called up SouthBendClutch(dealt with them for over 11 yrs) and they are building me one rated over 2100lb with the same light pedal feel. Once they build it, they'll give me the torque calculations based on the plate load test. If its anything like their clutches for the TDI's and trucks, it should be a very nice clutch.

Last edited:

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
I'm not sure what Jim is running, from what i recall most of us went with one of the "heavy duty" clutches from Marlin Crawler. I am running an 1800lbs from them for the early 2.4 flywheel which they don't seem to offer anymore. I have never slipped it and it feels exactly like a stock clutch to me. I also remember it being fairly inexpensive.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/heavy-duty

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I'm not sure what Jim is running, from what i recall most of us went with one of the "heavy duty" clutches from Marlin Crawler. I am running an 1800lbs from them for the early 2.4 flywheel which they don't seem to offer anymore. I have never slipped it and it feels exactly like a stock clutch to me. I also remember it being fairly inexpensive.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/heavy-duty
The clutch I went with is the trail gear aisin 1600lb kit...apparently it's no longer available through TG or any other clutch for that matter....when I upgrade the trans to the R151 unit I may go ahead and machine the flywheel step a bit more to .026 as per marlins recomendation for more pressure plate loading ....

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Now that I have one of these regulators in my hands I'm taking another look at your setup. You had stated in another post you purchased the 15955 Nitrous Express regulator which is a dual outlet with a bypass port. Do you have the 2nd outlet plugged and the hose heading toward the firewall in the picture below is actually hooked up to the bypass port?

With this setup have you measured the fuel pressure at your IP?

Thanks!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
greengeeker....although it's unclear in the photo the regulator return (bottom of FPR) uses a leftover evap line back to the tank, whereas the injection pump/filter return uses the stock FI return line back to the tank....I'm now running a permanent fuel pressure gauge @ the outlet of the FPR and my pressure hovers around 12psi....I'll try and post up a picture later today

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
If you did purchase the 15955 (the one I have in my hands) I'm pretty sure the bottom of the FPR is the supply. :confused:

TIA for the additional picture/clarification. :)
EDIT:...I could be wrong...just need to look at my regulators supply and return...my memory may be a bit rusty ;)
Nope....the regulator I'm using is a holley....the supply is on one end regulated supply on the opposite end and return on the bottom.

kinda hard to see but the "IN" is on the left and "out" is on the right...not seen is the return at the bottom of the FPR

picture of gauge, regulator and filter while engine is running...

....I think its this one.... http://www.spiderautomotive.com/holley12803bp.html
And instructions.... http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R7914-3rev3.pdf

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
No guarantee that it's diesel/bio resistant....just in case, you'll need to purchase a bypass regulator...one that's used for converting FI cars to carburetor ....I'll pull mine apart in a few thousand miles and check the diaphragm for deterioration ... here it is .... http://innovativediesel.com/i-1317224-holley-fuel-pressure-regulator-15955-nitrous-express.html
EDIT:...I could be wrong...just need to look at my regulators supply and return...my memory may be a bit rusty ;)
Nope....the regulator I'm using is a holley....the supply is on one end regulated supply on the opposite end and return on the bottom....I think its this one.... http://www.spiderautomotive.com/holley12803bp.html
And instructions.... http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R7914-3rev3.pdf
They are all Holley regulators. The one Innovative diesel is selling is simply a 12-803 modified by Nitrous Express that has a small bypass fitting in the supply port. Thanks for posting the correct model. If I can't get this one to work I'll likely send it back and pick up a BP.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
greengeeker...the regulator you bought is the same one I have but it's just a holley with a nitrous express part number ....the link I originally posted a few pages back is the same link I ordered from....maybe they changed the model midstream?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I'll snap a picture and post. They are definitely different since mine has the inlet on the bottom (cast into the body of the regulator), two outlets on either side and a small bypass fitting added.

edit: photo added

I'm sure how this jet is supposed to work. I'll call Nitrous Express tomorrow to ask but I wonder if I can't make this one work with the bypass fitting in the picture and simply plug the left outlet port.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I'll snap a picture and post. They are definitely different since mine has the inlet on the bottom (cast into the body of the regulator), two outlets on either side and a small bypass fitting added.

edit: photo added

Ha!!...they definitely changed something up....I ordered the same reg from the diesel site and it came the holley 12-803bp I have pictured ....

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
End of threadjack I promise

OK. I got it all sorted out. :)

I purchased the Nitrous Express 15956 regulator which is a modified Holley 12-803 (single inlet, dual outlet, 4.5-9psi operating range) with an added bypass port in the inlet AND a fuel pressure gauge. This small fitting accepts a jet that bleeds off pressure/flow so the pump isn't dead headed into the regulator. Once assembled the fitting and jet are an AN-3 fitting. I wish they had said this somewhere in their wesite! They simply state it is a D-3 outlet which doesn't mean anything to me...maybe this is normal lingo in the nitrous/aftermarket crowds.

For future reference this kit comes with:
  • Regulator
  • Mounting bracket
  • Bypass fitting
  • Bypass jet
  • 1/8NPT - 3/8NPT reducer
  • Fuel pressure gauge
I had to purchase:
  • AN-3 to 1/8NPT 90deg adapter. I would have prefered to go up to a 1/4NPT or higher but 1/8NPT was all I could find for adapters from AN-3. For my install location I also chose to go with the 90deg turn. I put together a few different combinations of adapters and this ended up being the cheapest at $16.
  • 1/8NPT - 5/16" barb (not pictured)
  • M6x1.00, 12mm long bolts and washer (x2) and tapped the holes to receive them
  • 3/8NPT - 3/8" barb adapter (x2). Again, I would have prefered 5/16" barb but was limited by the selection at my FLAPS. I can get a 5/16" line over these barbs so I'm going with it.
Ok, you may now return to Toyota-TDI-awesomeness. :eek:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
CEL functionality restored!!

on my truck I'm using the stock toyota cluster ....I've had working tach, and GP light pretty much from day one but the CEL has always had a strange behavior of coming on for about forty seconds after cranking and then going out.... been sourcing the CEL signal from pin 24 of 121 ...took me till yesterday (been driving the swap since march 11') to figure out the CEL has been working completely backward of the standard CEL...ie: when I have DTC's the light is off and when the codes are cleared the light stays on...couldn't really put it together until vwmikel wrote out all the missing module codes from my ECM, then it clicked!!.... I posted up on the 101 board for help from members.... here's the thread and the fix via Alchemist (Paul)....thanks Paul!! .... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=352982

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
my holley BP regulator:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
is that the 12-803bp? ....is this on your corrado? looks like it patched in nicely right between the rubber sections of fuel line....where did you plumb in your fuel return?

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
clutch upgrade....

the trailgear 1600lb clutch I put in last year has been slipping for awhile now, so after alot of research and balking @ the price of upgraded "performance" clutches I decided to go with a 5VZ-FE factory upgrade clutch....this will make clutch #4 :rolleyes: .... to make it work I'm having a new late 22re flywheel machined to fit the 10" 5VZ clutch disc.... pressure plate already bolts to the flywheel fine (I used a 5VZ plate in my first "clutch experiment").... the new adaptation involves completely machining off the 9.25" clutch step and remachining the step for a 10" disc...also going with a .025 step instead of the factory .020.... the flywheel is also being remachined to fit the VW crank (new holes, center bore) ....here's a list of my clutch "experiments" :

#1 Used 5VZ-FE pressure plate on late 22re flywheel (9.25) sandwiching a 228mm "clutchnet" organic disc.... chattered like a naked hawaiian on the south pole....but never slipped one time....always had a good pedal and solid grip....when I removed the clutch all the springs in the disc were shattered

#2 (just because I had it on hand) brand new ACME flywheel for early 22re (8 7/8" clutch) with a brand new exedy clutch and pressure plate ....as soon as I hit 6lbs of boost I blew the clutch away.... babied it home and parked it until clutch

#3 :rolleyes: ....brand new 9 1/4 trailgear 1600lb clutch on a brand new late 22re flywheel freshly machined for the VW application....this clutch held up great for about four months until the winsboro GTG last summer and it saw 20lbs of boost from one of Jeff's tunes....slipped badly and I had to baby it to keep the slipping at bay....after the initial slipping run I swapped back out for a stock ECM ....all was good until I loaded one of VWmikel's tunes....when the torque ramps up @ around 1800 rpm the clutch will slip badly unless I tiptoe past the rise....

#4 (and hopefully final)...stock late 22re flywheel being machined for 10" disc with a .025" step....CTX-107 aisin pressure plate for a 5VZ-FE squeezin on a DTX-136 aisin 5VZ disc....both of these items are supposedly part of a tsb upgrade for late tacomas with slipping clutches .... hope to post positive findings within a week or two....:)...my biggest reasons for going with a "stock" clutch are:

*pedal pressure (i wanted stock or near stock feel)

*pressure on the thrust...I'm really concerned that a high tension spring will eat up my thrust bearing especially during trail use where lots of clutch action can take it's toll

*chatter....seems like everyone is jumping on the puckwagon and I just don't dig the harshness of a multipuck clutch

*cost vs benefit.... alot of reading has revealed that sometimes you don't get what you pay for in a performance pressure plate....lots of "upgraded" plates are merely repainted heavy duty stock pieces marketed as performance....add a dual friction or puck clutch and you have a "high performance" (stock) clutch at a high performance price....

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
is that the 12-803bp? ....is this on your corrado? looks like it patched in nicely right between the rubber sections of fuel line....where did you plumb in your fuel return?

This was on my first TDI corrado, I think its 803bp FPR. It was for fuel injected cars that have been converted to carbs. I think it was regulated to 6 psi from the 80psi fuel pump in the tank. I plumped the return to the tank's vent which on the tdi cars goes to atmosphere. On gas cars it runs to the charcoal canister. I never had any problems.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Having watched a lot of friends deal with "performance" clutches I the same conclusion as you. Hopefully you have found the right combo. Must suck to know you have built the perfect truck/drivetrain and now you need a way to keep it from slipping. I dream of a tacoma 4dr with a tdi...amarok

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Jimbote,
Have you tried talking to southbend? Many of us are happy with the stage II daily driver and endurance II clutches. I'm not running major power, but bought the Endurance II anyway, just in case I bump up power in the future.

Southbend might have something or be able to put a custom disc together that can accommodate your custom setup.

Tony

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
This was on my first TDI corrado, I think its 803bp FPR. It was for fuel injected cars that have been converted to carbs. I think it was regulated to 6 psi from the 80psi fuel pump in the tank. I plumped the return to the tank's vent which on the tdi cars goes to atmosphere. On gas cars it runs to the charcoal canister. I never had any problems.
yep that's the same regulator.... I have almost 20k miles on mine so far....what are you running on your current rado?

Having watched a lot of friends deal with "performance" clutches I the same conclusion as you. Hopefully you have found the right combo. Must suck to know you have built the perfect truck/drivetrain and now you need a way to keep it from slipping. I dream of a tacoma 4dr with a tdi...amarok
I've got my fingers crossed on this combo but I believe it will be the ticket....much more surface area than the 9 1/4 and more clamping force...the pressure plate is also a newer design by aisin for better release and more even clamping....so will you bite the bullet and build a taco or wait till hades takes a winter vacation? ;)....I wish the amarok would come here....such a sweet ride with all the VW amenities :rolleyes:

Jimbote,
Have you tried talking to southbend? Many of us are happy with the stage II daily driver and endurance II clutches. I'm not running major power, but bought the Endurance II anyway, just in case I bump up power in the future.

Southbend might have something or be able to put a custom disc together that can accommodate your custom setup.

Tony
Tony I did contact ACT's tech dept. and discussed building a custom clutch using the stock 9 1/4 setup...but he scared me when he mentioned using the clutch pedal sparingly and making sure to replace the stock rubber line with a braided one (i already have braided line) :rolleyes: ....that and the cost was nearly $500 ....yes I've spent above and beyond that x 2 in parts alone plus labor....but I see myself as somewhat of a willing guinea pig....trying to find a lower cost off the shelf clutch that can handle the torque our little swapped TDI's emit :D

Last edited:

47coeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta TDI, 94 TDI German block in a Samurai
Jimbote
Wondering if you knew anyone who can make a 2004 Mercedes 612 cdi run stand alone, it is a 5 cylinder sprinter truck engine I have exhausted my looking and there has to be someone out there that can get into the computer and get it to work. In advance TNX for your help. Best Skip