NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
UPDATE: VW regional case manager just called me. Offered me +1yr & 10,000 Mile extension warranty on this part. Guess what. She told me this repair is only covered under the 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and is NOT covered under the powertrain warranty!!!!!! F'k VW. This will be our last VW/Audi product.
Get on VW's website and send an email to VW CC. There have been many with MYs from 2009 to 2012 that have done this including myself. You will get a response back saying your HPFP is covered under the 5/60. Then, forward that response to the case worker adding on the 1 yr, 10k extention to the 5/60.:D

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
What are athe odds that the cruze diesel uses a familiar Bosch fuel system.....

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
What are athe odds that the cruze diesel uses a familiar Bosch fuel system.....
Even though GM doesn't own the division any more (since March 2011), I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Delphi unit. They (GM-Daewoo) license build the VM Motori RA420, so they may very well use the Delphi pump.

The only current production diesel vehicles that are considered "normal" size (that is, not a purely commercial vehicle), and are sold in the US, without the CP4 are:
All US-spec Mercedes V6 diesels
Ram Cummins
That's it.
The 2011+ PowerStroke and Duramax have the CP4, so it's the same problem as you have with the VWs. The Cruze Eco-D will almost certainly have a CP4.
Not quite. The X5 xDrive 35d uses the CP3.2+

Last edited:

pofmi01

TDI
JSW, TReg3
UPDATE: VW regional case manager just called me. Offered me +1yr & 10,000 Mile extension warranty on this part. Guess what. She told me this repair is only covered under the 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and is NOT covered under the powertrain warranty!!!!!! F'k VW. This will be our last VW/Audi product.
Any chance your regional case manager has a first name Christine? 'cause I'm trying to work through our 2 failures with regional case manager and they are claiming ignorance on all HPFP issues.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Any chance your regional case manager has a first name Christine? 'cause I'm trying to work through our 2 failures with regional case manager and they are claiming ignorance on all HPFP issues.
Two failures? Details please. Just tell her its a known problem. Lots of info here to back that up. Also call the NHSTA Investigation to her attention. The NHSTA is currently doing an engineering analysis on this "unknown problem.
Christine is just uninformed and needs to be brought up to date on what is going om.

Last edited:

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Although I lol'd at their saying that it meets the most stringent Euro 4 standards.

(IIRC, the BEW/BHW/BRM is in the Euro 4 ballpark, ALH is Euro 3 (in fact, the entire reason it exists is the Euro 3 standards). CBEA, CJAA, and CKRA are stricter than Euro 6.)

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Although I lol'd at their saying that it meets the most stringent Euro 4 standards.
(IIRC, the BEW/BHW/BRM is in the Euro 4 ballpark, ALH is Euro 3 (in fact, the entire reason it exists is the Euro 3 standards). CBEA, CJAA, and CKRA are stricter than Euro 6.)
Yes, I caught that too. At first I thought they had made a typo with the Roman numeral for the Euro standard...but no...it was IV (4)...:rolleyes:

doug67coug

TDI
2009 Jetta
There also seem to be more failures in the summer than in the winter. Is it ambient temps or fuel temps? I would also be curious as to the level of the fuel in their tanks. Low fuel levels could mean higher fuel temps. I do not know how much of an effect this might have, but it would be interesting to know. If heat is the issue, why have there been no HPFP failures (that we know about) in Nevada. About 90% of Nevada's population live in or near Las Vegas, and it is definitely hot here. I wish we had an many answers as we do questions.

Have Fun!

Don

Mine failed with a half of tank of fuel. It was about 11 in the morning and and it was approximately 70 degrees.

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
85 degrees, 1/4 tank, 4 in the afternoon, did a 100 mile drive thru the hills and low desert when mine failed with 105k on it.

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
Back on page 226 there's a letter about Ford coating the insides of the CP4 pump for our low US fuel quality.

Well guys and gals 05 & 06 Jeep Liberty CRD's for the US also has the CP3's inerds coated for our crappy fuel:) So if Chrysler kew it VW should have too. In my eyes after owing many VW's, none currently, I find VW's additude towards their problems and customers is as bad or worse then GM's and I think very lowly of GM :mad:
There were only 14,000 CRD Liberties outfitted for the North American market but in a very active CRD forum CP3 failures are very rare.
VW needs the ars kicked in a very large class action suit;)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Just asking:
Is it possible to draw up a class acton suit based on the potential failure of the hpfp when there have been so few documented failures?

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
The other shoe

kjclow: > Is it possible to draw up a class acton suit based on the potential failure of the hpfp when there have been so few documented failures?

Well, in the US, you can sue anyone for anything, but the existing CA is seeking only clients who have had actual failures.

They've been soliciting members for the class for over a year now, and probably not getting many enrollees, as VW is fixing the failures for the time being.

I frankly don't expect this CA to have any traction until after NHTSA rules, and VW decides how they plan to handle post-warranty failures. If VW comes up with a satisfactory resolution, the CA is likely to go poof.

And if VW resolves this adequately, I'll buy a CR.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Back on page 226 there's a letter about Ford coating the insides of the CP4 pump for our low US fuel quality.

Well guys and gals 05 & 06 Jeep Liberty CRD's for the US also has the CP3's inerds coated for our crappy fuel:) So if Chrysler kew it VW should have too. In my eyes after owing many VW's, none currently, I find VW's additude towards their problems and customers is as bad or worse then GM's and I think very lowly of GM :mad:
There were only 14,000 CRD Liberties outfitted for the North American market but in a very active CRD forum CP3 failures are very rare.
VW needs the ars kicked in a very large class action suit;)
VAG pump components are also coated.

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None

So if Chrysler kew it VW should have too.
Coating the CP4.1 internals was definitely one of Bosch's "updates" to the VW pumps along with improved metallurgy in the pump housing.

I have news for you. CP4 pumps are failing in Fords even with the "wear package" you speak of. Google it. VW isn't the only carline experiencing problems.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Coating the CP4.1 internals was definitely one of Bosch's "updates" to the VW pumps along with improved metallurgy in the pump housing.
I have news for you. CP4 pumps are failing in Fords even with the "wear package" you speak of. Google it. VW isn't the only carline experiencing problems.
Look at the 2012 Passat Czech hpfp...........NO COATING on the follower. Impoved metalurgy. I would surely think so.

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Look at the 2012 Passat Czech hpfp...........NO COATING on the follower. Impoved metalurgy. I would surely think so.
I'm not really familiar with the Czech pumps, but I'll trust you on that. Czech pumps are definitely the latest and greatest CP4.1 pumps. What do you mean by "follower"? The roller? The roller cup? The plunger piston above the roller cup? Or no coatings anywhere in the Czech pumps?

Bosch has finally stopped assuming that every country in the world has access to reagent grade Diesel fuel like they have in the FatherLand and they are taking appropriate countermeasures.

'Merica. Land of mediocre everything...........including mediocre Diesel fuel.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
who managed to get inside of one of the 2012 passat Basch HPFP's to confirm this, or where did you find this internet nugget of information?

I guess I'd like to know your source of this information.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
You should update your tag line to "2012+ Jettas/Golfs have HPFP problems, too". As yet, I believe we haven't seen a Passat with an HPFP failure? True?

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought there was a passat that had a pump go due to misfueling ?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
If I'm not mistaken, all VW repairs are warranted for 1yr & 10,000 miles. So they were offering something you were going to get anyway.

Scratch that... I looked it up on their website:

"Genuine Volkswagen Parts and Accessories are covered by a limited warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first. See your dealer for details."

http://www.vw.com/en/owners/parts-and-accessories/service.html

So they were going to offer you less than the regular warranty on the part. Nice try!

Last edited:

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
who managed to get inside of one of the 2012 passat Basch HPFP's to confirm this, or where did you find this internet nugget of information?

I guess I'd like to know your source of this information.
You mean you guys missed this one? I have no idea what thread it was in,but its here somewhere. Mr. 2Micron to date is the only mortal known to mankind that has actually disassembled a Czech. You guys have to learn to pay closer attention.

2Micron is also probably going to be the Saint of VW CR's before its all over.

Last edited: