princess auto maxitrip scanguage

SDMFer

Veteran Member
TDI
d
hey guys on my phone right now so ha ent searched the forum but I see tha PA maxitrip thing is on sale for 59 bucks. Not sure if this is a good deal or not or even if this thing is any good but the price is right. what do you guys think?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
If I did not already have the Scangauge and paid another US$ 25.00 to have it updated, I would run as fast as I can to P.A. Or in my case get someone else to buy it for me. At $ 59.00 I think its a steal.

I can not see where the Scangauge has more functions. What else is required? Yes I could custom make my own reading for the transmission temperature or a number of others, but how often do I need it? My SC has given me the occasional problem where I found that if I unplug it from the OBDII port for some time it would then be restored, but I had to re-enter all the previous settings.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
it being princess auto you always have the flexibility of returning it no questions asked if its not everything you expected it to be.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
it being princess auto you always have the flexibility of returning it no questions asked if its not everything you expected it to be.
I returned mine after it stopped working after a few months. Also, the mpg readings were a bit off.

PA is selling the basic OBD reader for $30

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I don't think the maxitrip measure instantaneous mileage. Just average mileage over a trip I think.
It's instantaneous.. I have one on my truck, it's dead nuts on...

It actually does things that the SG doesn't like when coming to a stop switching over from MPG to GPH :)

SDMFer

Veteran Member
TDI
d
I just picked one up on the weekend. Pissed around with it for a bit on the way in this morning. I might return it for another because the cable connection and the back and side is a little wonky, ie turns off then I have to re-insert to turn back on. Other than that, seems cool. Was telling me 39.8 MPG on the way to work, but I havent calibrated anything etc.

edit - according to the guy at the store, he said 59.99 is their regular price. Even for a OBD reader, i think this is a decent deal.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I bought one for my father and one for my father-in-law last year for Christmas, and they both love theirs!

SDMFer

Veteran Member
TDI
d
Yah, cable is a little finneky (sp). I have it mounted below my stereo, and havent moved it and so far its been good. Since i heard PA has a decent return policy, ill wait till it really pisses me off to return. The trip meter is kinda cool. Glad I have a spot for it too without any tape, modified mounting etc. I should post a pic. I have an aftermarket single DIN deck with the pocket underneath the deck (above hvac controls). I was able to squish it in the space and the pressure holds it from moving. JUST enough room, and when I need to remove, i just pop it out. ;)

SDMFer

Veteran Member
TDI
d
Tried the unit with co-worker's truck and it connects, hooked it up to wife's PT Crusier and it connects. I was able to connect via vagcom so I know the port is good. Will test it with a buddy's 03 Jetta and see if it will work.:rolleyes:
weird - it appears to like dodge....ewwwww (totally kidding, after this car Im switching back to NA vehicles...i think for now)

Anyways, back on topic...did you try your car again after the others?

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
Tested it with the truck after work, it connects. Got home, tried it again with same result, pull out vag and clear a code fine, tried to connect again same thing. Moved over to the PT and it works. So weird since I read someone had the same issue and returned it for another, new unit works fine but since my unit does connect with other cars I can't really say it is defective.

SDMFer

Veteran Member
TDI
d
hmm, I would take it back then, just tell them that your getting a link error etc. It doesnt work. Dont tell them that you tried it in other vehicles etc. Just my thoughts. Let us know how it works out. Good luck

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Just email: support@auteltech.com and sales@auteltech.com.
Ask them for the software upgrade for the MaxiTrip TP100. They will email you the update in 1 business day. Install the MaxiTrip.exe using setup.exe, plug in the USB cable into your computer and the other end into the unit, start MaxiTrip.exe, navitgate to the new .bin file, click 'Update', it will load in a few seconds, and then you will have version 1.2 2009 of the software, which will address most of the issues. The unit ships with version 1.1 2008.

Hope this helps.

SDMFer

Veteran Member
TDI
d
Just email: support@auteltech.com and sales@auteltech.com.
Ask them for the software upgrade for the MaxiTrip TP100. They will email you the update in 1 business day. Install the MaxiTrip.exe using setup.exe, plug in the USB cable into your computer and the other end into the unit, start MaxiTrip.exe, navitgate to the new .bin file, click 'Update', it will load in a few seconds, and then you will have version 1.2 2009 of the software, which will address most of the issues. The unit ships with version 1.1 2008.

Hope this helps.
Mine same with 1.2 on it. Checked before I even used it.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Stock radio? I've got an 01 Jetta and had strange OBDII port issues when I first bought the car. The aftermarket Vag-com cable which I used for my MKIII and other people's MKIV could not connect to my 01. I went to another member's house who also could not connect to my car with their vag-com. I ended up getting a completely different cable which now works 100% of the time.

CmdrData

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
Yes, stock radio. Two different aftermarket vag cable works just not this scanner. Email Autel and was told they will send me an update in couple of WEEKS.:confused: I'll try to exchange for another if PA Mississauga still has any left, had to go to three different person before someone would actually go check the back warehouse for stock when the others kept saying there is none left but system says there are couples.:mad:

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Yes, stock radio. Two different aftermarket vag cable works just not this scanner. Email Autel and was told they will send me an update in couple of WEEKS.:confused: I'll try to exchange for another if PA Mississauga still has any left, had to go to three different person before someone would actually go check the back warehouse for stock when the others kept saying there is none left but system says there are couples.:mad:
If you already have V.1.2, then that's the latest, and that's what they will send you.

I've tried it with my '03 TDI and '03 Toyota Sienna minivan, and it works OK.

Last edited:

Brian B

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - Silver
Picked this up the other day and love it. Especially the price. Glad I didn't jump on the SCAN Gauge 2 group buy wagon. I just saved myself some serious coin!:D

Going to velcro it on my steering column. The extra cable tucks nicely under the column too

Thanks for the info on this

Brian B

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - Silver
I've been leaving mine out with no problems. I know where you're coming from though because it stays lit for awhile before going to sleep so it might look more interesting to someone walking by. Not sure if you unplugged it everytime though if you have to reset it??? which would be a pain

CmdrData

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
Brian, my original concern is more about would the cold temp damage the unit/screen but you brought out another issue which is security. I do unplug mine when I park the car and put it away since the manual says it won't reset the unit since it uses flash memory.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
The light doesn't stay on long at all, and if you have some tint, it won't be noticeable. Mine's lived outside for a few years now without any problems, and my dad leaves his in his car at all times as well - and it gets much colder in Ottawa!