GTI springs on mk6 TDI?

R4a2m0o

TDI
11 Golf TDI
I cant really find much on this maybe I'm not looking in the right place or maybe people don't really do this but I'm considering them for my car. I am getting ready to replace my shocks with either bilsteins or koni fsd and I was going to do vw sport springs but I'm considering gti springs if its a viable option. What would it do in terms of ride, performance, and height?

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
For every day driving I really like the ride of the TDI. It's suspension and 17" wheels provide a good mix of comfort and performance. My brother's GTI on the other hand is a bit too harsh for me especially with its 18" wheels. With its heavier front end, the GTI' s handling is not much better than the TDI in my opinion.

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
Skip it and get coilovers instead.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
I tried coilovers, DG springs, ended up with the H&R sport springs, dont waste your time putting in the GTI springs

R4a2m0o

TDI
11 Golf TDI
I tried coilovers, DG springs, ended up with the H&R sport springs, dont waste your time putting in the GTI springs
What shocks are you using? How low is it vs stock? I want the springs and shocks to work well together comfort and performance wise and I don't want to lower the car much if at all. I don't want to shatter my spine or track it. Just want an improvement since I'm replacing the shocks anyway due to age.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
What shocks are you using? How low is it vs stock? I want the springs and shocks to work well together comfort and performance wise and I don't want to lower the car much if at all. I don't want to shatter my spine or track it. Just want an improvement since I'm replacing the shocks anyway due to age.
I'd just get shocks and struts if I were you and wait to see how that feels, considering your goal isn't to go lower. That might be all you need or want to firm up the ride. The reality is you won't save that much time or money doing shocks and springs anyway vs doing the springs at a later time. The springs are what complicate things. The shock/strut replacement should be a snap.

I'd love to get some Bilstein HD shocks and struts to firm up my car, but so far my car doesn't "need" new shocks or struts. I just can't bring myself to spend the money just for the feel. I'm a commuter, so going the down the highway the softer ride is fine. But one of these days, Bilstein HD shocks and struts are going on my car!

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Right now I'm on stock shocks, some say they will not last long, I'm at almost 40k now with no probs. Some people say Koni orange shocks is a good match for those springs and they dont cost a lot either. I'm at about two fingers or a tad more gap in the rear and a little less (2-1.5) in front. DG springs were a little higher but rear were visibly higher than fronts and I didn't like that.

Last edited: