Blinking Glow Plug light came on during a road trip.

Passat15

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE - Sold to VW
Old thread, but relevant. I had the same issue as OP, sitting in Northern VA traffic for an hour yeterday evening, and the GP light started flashing. About 20 minutes later the check engine light came on. No loss in power or performance. Got the car home, checked all the brake lights, fuses...everyting looked good. started car back up, and the flashing GP light was gone, but CEL still on. Will try to get car into dealer to get codes scanned, if any. or unless someone in Fredericksburg area wouldn't mind running a vcds scan on it. The car only has 5,500 miles on it.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
In Springfield and can scan, although with only 5500 miles on it, you should have VW look into it.

Passat15

TDI
Thanks VeeDubTDI - I drove it to Springfield for work this morning, hoping to go by the dealer on the way home. I went out at lunch and cranked the car, and now the check engine light is gone...? Should I still have it looked at, or see if it comes back on? Will there be any codes for the dealer to read if the light isn't on?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
If you have anyone other than the dealer scan it make sure they don't clear the code. It will be more help for the tech if they can see all it's history.

Passat15

TDI
I'll get the dealer to check it out, although Friday I was in good olé no.VA traffic on the way home. Took me 1.5 hours to go 35 miles. Good news was, no blinking GPL or CEL light.

BobR2013

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual
Flashing glow plug warning with loss of power

I don't think I have seen my problem and dealer seems to be stumped. On several occasions, I have had the flashing glow plug warning light come on and at the same time the engines seems to lose about half its power. It will drive ok on flat ground or down hill but struggles to accelerate or climb inclines. It very unnerving on an upgrade on the turnpike with a semi behind me. When I pull off the road and turn engine off then restart, the problem goes away only to come back randomly at a later date. Several trips to dealer have not resolved issue as then never can duplicate. This weekend it happened twice, the second time the check engine light also came on. The glow plug light and loss of power fixed itself again. The check engine light stayed on but car is running fine. Another trip to dealer today. Any ideas? Please.

Last edited:

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Yes, but you may not like it. Your dealer is stumped? Not acceptable!

Your car (ECU) recorded a code or codes. They're there. When the car threw a CEL it set a major code. It's not hiding. The dealer cannot duplicate? What's that got to do with anything? It's like finding that your engine is suddenly seriously low on oil. You fill the crankcase back to where it's safe to get to the dealer and are told that based on the full crankcase the problem can't be located. That's pure bullsnot!

For what it might be worth I'd gently and firmly explain to the dealer as I handed him the keys and picked up his loaner to call me when the problem was properly addressed.

I experienced something like this some years back when one of our vehicles suffered a braking issue. Basically an almost total lack of brakes for no obvious reason. After about the third attempt to get things fixed I was told by the service writer that the brakes worked just fine when cold. In other words he was done and I could go to hell. At which point I nearly came over the counter after him.

Bottom line was that I explained in no uncertain terms what a "bumper to bumper" warranty meant. I told him that I hadn't a care if he bolted a new vehicle between the bumpers or if he began by replacing components starting at the brake pedal and working outward or the reverse. Once we had a clear understanding of each other the fix took about an hour.

Either you and your dealer need to come to an understanding or you need to find another dealer. Your problem carries potential personal danger and I wouldn't hesitate to explain this to him. I'd also request the number of your regional rep and not hesitate to move this up the chain.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I don't think I have seen my problem and dealer seems to be stumped. On several occasions, I have had the flashing glow plug warning light come on and at the same time the engines seems to lose about half its power. It will drive ok on flat ground or down hill but struggles to accelerate or climb inclines. It very unnerving on an upgrade on the turnpike with a semi behind me. When I pull off the road and turn engine off then restart, the problem goes away only to come back randomly at a later date. Several trips to dealer have not resolved issue as then never can duplicate. This weekend it happened twice, the second time the check engine light also came on. The glow plug light and loss of power fixed itself again. The check engine light stayed on but car is running fine. Another trip to dealer today. Any ideas? Please.
It sounds like you need to invest in a VCDS so you can scan it when the problem is happening.

FarOutpatient

TDI
2015, S-trim, 4-dr, manual
Me too

December: blinking Glow Plug light, and I'm down to about 2500rpm's, max. Next day, problem gone, took it to dealership, they said they couldn't find anything wrong;
February: same thing. Took it to a nearby dealership for the readout, they printed the errors. Took these to 1st dealership, they had it for 10 days, replaced a sensor on the turbo;
March: same thing, plus check engine light. Dealership says they can find nothing wrong;
Last Wednesday: Again. Pointed out this was the 4th time (in my state, that means we're in Lemon Law country).

Specifically: the blinking light means the power limit. It can happen from a cold start, or while driving. Stopping and restarting can cause both glow plug light, and check engine light to go off for weeks, or stay on.

I'm insisting that a copy of the computer codes be provided with any work done.

Guy at dealership mentioned VW has a buyback program. That'd make me a little sad, as I'd probably turn around and buy the same model and trim, this is the car I want. Dunno, my first new car, this is all uncharted territory for me.

Update 05/12/15: dealership say it's an EGR valve sticking open, and they have ordered a new one.

Update 05/14/2015: dealership say oopsies! EGR valve is for different customer, have ordered me a new wiring harness. Cue Yakety Sax.

Last edited:

Daan

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf TDI
Anyone have any updates on the GPL flashing w/ loss of power ? Sounds like no loss of power might be brake ligths and such simpler stuff. What about with severe pawer loss, like several ppl reported ?

Got it on wife's 01 TDI, she's scared to drive it now...

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Anyone have any updates on the GPL flashing w/ loss of power ? Sounds like no loss of power might be brake ligths and such simpler stuff. What about with severe pawer loss, like several ppl reported ?

Got it on wife's 01 TDI, she's scared to drive it now...
You're in the wrong area. The NMS is a totally different animal;)

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
per MoGolf's original thread... all known causes of a flashing glow plug light on an A4, with their associated codes:

00741 Brake pedal monitoring - implausible signal
01044 Control unit incorrectly coded
16705/P0321 Engine speed sensor - implausible signal
16706/P0322 Engine speed sensor - no signal
16955/P0571 Brake light switch (F) - implausible signal
17653/P1245 Needle lift sender (G80) - short to earth
17654/P1246 Needle lift sender (G80) - Implausible signal
17655/P1247 Needle lift sender (G80) - Open circuit/short to positive
17762/P1354 Modulating piston movement sender (G149) - electrical fault in current circuit
17969/P1561 Metering adjuster (N146) - control difference
17978/P1570 Engine control unit blocked
18020/P1612 Control unit incorrectly coded
18026/P1618 Glow plug relay (J52) - short to positive
18027/P1619 Glow plug relay (J52) - open circuit/short to earth
18040/P1632 Accelerator position sender - voltage supply

Best bet... get 'er scanned and see which prize you've won. :)

Daan

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf TDI
per MoGolf's original thread... all known causes of a flashing glow plug light on an A4, with their associated codes:
[snip]
Best bet... get 'er scanned and see which prize you've won. :)
had found that list, quite scary length but no way to tell which one triggers the loss of power + the GPL on. and my car having EGR off (DG race pipe) CEL is always on which doesn't help any.

true, scanning might help I hope too (...feel like a prize is coming my wa...). my local go-to guy is out of town and I leave town and wife is desperate as the car drives 10 mph... so until he'll take a scan, I'm replacing the darn brake pedal switch.

lbsurf

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
My flashing glow plug just came on today. Loss of power, about 15mph. 142.000miles and waiting for my buyback letter. And I live 1:15 from the nearest dealer. Coincidently I am picking up a new all track tomorrow.
Now I'm worried about my buyback and how do I get my car to the dealer?