TURBO: Please report NMS turbo failures here. [not a discussion thread!]

TI_Master

I got a chance to look at the paperwork on my dad's car. It wasn't exactly full of details, but what it basically said was that they inspected it, found the intercooler full of oil. On further inspection, they determined that the turbo was "seized".

Paperwork indicates that they replaced the turbocharger.

listed part that seemed relevant -

03L-253-056-QX "EXMANTURBO"

I hadn't seen the answer to the build date question before I saw his paperwork, but I should be able to get the build date in the next day or two if it is not the same as the "production date" and will PM it to the maintainer and edit my previous post if I am able to. According to the paperwork, the "production date" was 9/2012, so it is possible that that is the same as the build date. Will update the thread if we encounter further turbo issues with the new one.

Last edited:

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
Most all of the cars are simply losing power quickly and more often than not the shaft snaps on the exhaust side and the impeller just lies there. If you race the engine with the hood open you can hear impeller rattle around. They are on back order, however I have not found out if the new one is of the same batch as the one already on the car. If it is then it could happen again. If I get some time I will look at the one I just did, as I have done several the past fews weeks. Finding out why is their problem, not mine. This is just a few of the issues going on right now. Most are not making to the public.

Last edited:

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
I need to learn to shut up sometimes, but after dealing with these cars none stop for a little over 34 years I see nothing has changed. The turbo is a bigger issue than is known here that's all.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
The turbo is a bigger issue than is known here that's all.
Actually people here aren't blowing off reports of turbo failures like they were a few weeks ago, so that's a start. I think this thread shows that there is an issue with turbo failure on these cars. The fact that there are more than just a couple (12 documented in this thread alone, with at least 5 others that haven't provided data) indicate to me that VW has an issue.

Please contribute any info you are willing to. So far, there are a lot of variables out there, but failures at relatively low miles and cold weather seem to be factors. Once again, it is winter, so that the weather may NOT be a factor.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
I am at about 18,000 miles, I can hear the turbo whistle now, I never could before about 500 miles ago. It doesnt sound bad, but its odd I can hear it now

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Surely there are more failures out there than what is being reported here - but you're right, I don't consider it to be an epidemic yet. Sure there is some sort of problem that VW is working on, but it's far less of a problem than CBEA/CJAA intercooler icing or some of their other afflictions so far.

The data collection is great - looking forward to learning more about the cause(s).

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
While your driving or at idle?
Whistle while driving, sounds like what my ALH sounded like, not loud but noticible. If I rev it in park I can hear it a bit. I can hear it both inside and outside the car. I liked the noise with my ALH and was a little disappointed when the Passat didnt have it...until a week ago. I am coming up on an oil change in 2 weeks or so, I will mention to dealer.

paulk124

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I am at about 18,000 miles, I can hear the turbo whistle now, I never could before about 500 miles ago. It doesnt sound bad, but its odd I can hear it now
That's how our turbo failure started out. A few days before failure, my wife reported that she started hearing a high-pitched whistle, like the sound of rubbing your finger on the rim of a wine glass. I couldn't hear it or just thought it was normal turbo whistle. Hopefully yours isn't on its way to failure.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
That's how our turbo failure started out. A few days before failure, my wife reported that she started hearing a high-pitched whistle, like the sound of rubbing your finger on the rim of a wine glass. I couldn't hear it or just thought it was normal turbo whistle. Hopefully yours isn't on its way to failure.
Winner!
I was driving home an hour after you posted this and I lost power on the highway. My glow plug light started flashing, called dealer and they said drop it off in the morning. Getting towed tonight, it's undriveable.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Winner!
I was driving home an hour after you posted this and I lost power on the highway. My glow plug light started flashing, called dealer and they said drop it off in the morning. Getting towed tonight, it's undriveable.
Sorry my friend, can you please add all the info requested in the OP, including what state you live in.

Thx

HammerTDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual
I am sorry Rockwell :( I hope your wait isn't as long as some of the others on here for a replacement. I am currently on Day 8 and my dealer has no clue when the part will be in.

To make it worse I backed the loaner car right into my wife's Jetta today. Now I have 3 VWs that need work! This ain't my month!

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I am not seeing any turbo failures in the NHTSA database of complaints. Shouldn't that be the second place you visit after the dealership?

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Add me to the list:

• Date of occurance: 2/14/13
  • Miles on car at failure: 18,900
  • Build date:7/12
  • Corrective actions from dealership:Replacing Turbo and intercooler. Failure was in compressor side. DPF and converter will be inspected for fuel and oil contamination.
  • Outside air temps at failure:25F
  • Failure warning signs, if any:Glow plug light flashing, no power, turbo started whistling days before failure
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI:Glow plug light flashing
  • Problems since replacement:In shop next 10 days
  • Repair time:10 days?
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Towed into dealer today, said another one came in behind it with same problem. They contacted VW and VW requested serial number of turbo, stated there was a bad batch and mine fell within that range. Turbo is getting replaced with an improved part number.
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes, was coming up on 20,000 mile service.
  • Are you the original owner of the car:Yes
  • Did you baby your car or not:Not really but didn't floor it either
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerators:Maybe 1 or 2
  • How long is your daily commute:98 miles and weekly 350 mile round trip to girlfriend
  • Transmission:DSG

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Can you get more info on the "bad batch" and "improved part number?" That would be very helpful in determining which vehicle may be affected by this issue and how to correct/avoid it.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
If it's a bad batch, why would there be a different part number? A different part number makes it sound more like a design flaw.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Add me to the list:

• Corrective actions from dealership:Replacing Turbo and intercooler. Failure was in compressor side. DPF and converter will be inspected for fuel and oil contamination.
  • Failure warning signs, if any:Glow plug light flashing, no power, turbo started whistling days before failure
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Towed into dealer today, said another one came in behind it with same problem. They contacted VW and VW requested serial number of turbo, stated there was a bad batch and mine fell within that range. Turbo is getting replaced with an improved part number.
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes, was coming up on 20,000 mile service.
  • How long is your daily commute:98 miles and weekly 350 mile round trip to girlfriend
I would be asking your servicing dealership for an additional warranty period for the "new" turbo...maybe 18900 miles beyond the 50K. I would also try to get them to put in writing that the turbo is covered under the 50K power train warranty.

Can you get more info on the "bad batch" and "improved part number?" That would be very helpful in determining which vehicle may be affected by this issue and how to correct/avoid it.
Exactly!

If it's a bad batch, why would there be a different part number? A different part number makes it sound more like a design flaw.
Maybe from a different vendor?

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried to get a little more info but VW only confirmed mine was in that batch, I'll see if he will give me the serial number. When I asked how I knew I wasnt going to get another faulty turbo he said it was a different part number, so no chance from same batch. Its on order from California

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Very interesting. It definitely seems to be batch related based on the mileage that we're seeing on some of these reports. I think there are a few other random failures that are being reported that are possibly not a part of the bad batch, creating a little bit of confusion when analyzing the data.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Add me to the list:

:eek:

Mine is a 7/12 build date too. just crossed 15k the other day. tick tick tick. nervous...:mad:

My commute is similar too. 94 miles round trip. with a few 200 mile roundtrip mountain drives per month.

When is VW going to announce something (I know it's impossible to know). I'd rather the faulty issue get replaced before it implodes.

Also the sad thing is IF/When I hear this whine that people have been mentioning it's probably not going to do me much good to take it to the dealer and tell them my turbo is making noise. I imagine they won't take it seriously.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Data Compilation to date:

Highest mileage turbo failure: 22700
Lowest mileage turbo failure: 3000
Total miles reported on failed turbos (10 cars): 135200miles
Average miles at failure 135200/10= 10400 miles

High temperature at failure: 50*
Low temp at failure: 0*
Average temp at failure: 22*

Transmissions in cars with turbo failure:
DSG: 4
6 Man: 6

Build dates of reported failure turbos:
4/12=1
7/12=3
8/12=2
9/12=1

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI

Also the sad thing is IF/When I hear this whine that people have been mentioning it's probably not going to do me much good to take it to the dealer and tell them my turbo is making noise. I imagine they won't take it seriously.
I imagine you are correct, If it was convenient it might be worth it to run it in and get it documented though!

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI

Mine is a 7/12 build date too. just crossed 15k the other day. tick tick tick. nervous...:mad:

My commute is similar too. 94 miles round trip. with a few 200 mile roundtrip mountain drives per month.

When is VW going to announce something (I know it's impossible to know). I'd rather the faulty issue get replaced before it implodes.

They seem to start whistling first than fail soon after. If you start hearing it be prepared, luckly I was close to home/dealer. I dont know if the dealer would do anything with just hearing the noise, unfortunatly it probably has to fail first.

HammerTDI

TDI
I'm on day 9 and they still have no idea when the part will be in. I've contacted VW customer service but they miss every deadline they give me for updates.

My dealer has offered to help me trade out of it if I want. I've referred 6 people into this dealership to buy Passats (4 TDI) plus another who bought a Jetta and a Beetle.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
They seem to start whistling first than fail soon after. If you start hearing it be prepared, luckly I was close to home/dealer. I dont know if the dealer would do anything with just hearing the noise, unfortunatly it probably has to fail first.
Not so fast there, Dr. Watson. I'm at 23k miles. At 9k miles, my turbo started whistling/whining on the return trip to DC from Brandenton, FL. We were stuck in I95 traffic, and while creeping forward, on/off throttle, we all thought we heard emergency equipment approaching...a very faint whine/whistle unrelated to our car's momentum Isolated it as coming from the turbo.
14k miles later, no change...not louder/softer...still there. No change whatsoever in engine temp, operation, MPG.
So...what does all this mean? I have no clue. My turbo whines/whistles the way a "normal" turbo should!!!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Not so fast there, Dr. Watson. I'm at 23k miles. At 9k miles, my turbo started whistling/whining on the return trip to DC from Brandenton, FL. We were stuck in I95 traffic, and while creeping forward, on/off throttle, we all thought we heard emergency equipment approaching...a very faint whine/whistle unrelated to our car's momentum Isolated it as coming from the turbo.
14k miles later, no change...not louder/softer...still there. No change whatsoever in engine temp, operation, MPG.
So...what does all this mean? I have no clue. My turbo whines/whistles the way a "normal" turbo should!!!
Mine doesn't whistle, and apparently a few others haven't whistled either...until right before their turbos went south.

Rockwell was relating his experience (others have noted the whistle before failure as well) and contributing to the thread. Maybe you should start a thread about turbo whistle?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Having ridden in tdiatlast's Passat, his turbo makes the same "finger on wine glass rim" noise that is generally indicative of a failing turbo, although it is very faint compared to failing turbos that I have heard and experienced - I was actually concerned about it when I first heard it, but his hasn't failed yet and it started making the noise a long time ago.

Anyway, thread has been cleaned up - back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

HammerTDI

TDI
Got a call from the dealer car is done. I pick it up in the AM. 13 days total repair time. Now about that little bumper rub I had in the loaner Passat...