3M protective film

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Also need to be certain that replacement glass does not mess up the auto headlamp and rain sensor operation.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Thats why I am taking it to the dealer. They know what things should be, and how to fix it.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Fixed perfectly at Langhorne. Can't even tell anyone has been in there.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Thats why I am taking it to the dealer. They know what things should be, and how to fix it.
You are lucky you have something very rare... a good dealer. The last time I took my Golf in for service at the dealership, 200,000 miles ago, they couldn't even put the air filter in properly!! :eek:

sc00byd00311

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta (Zubie)
Kinda stupid, and I guess I should have already known this but the factory glass has UV protection in it! Freaking amazing technology. Some one told me a couple years ago that most cars should have that standard but I don't think my 97 Jeep Cherokee does. I keep finding more and more reasons to love my TDI.

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL 2012 Passat SEL
Back to the OP comments on Clear Bra's. I have done them on all my cars since 2003 and have been very happy. Did both Passat's. The 2012 has 11,000+ miles and the only chips are were the clear bra did not cover.

Go for it!

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Most auto insurance policies cover windshield cracks like the one picture with no deductible under the "comprehensive" coverage part of the policy.

minghi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT since 10/20/12
Is there someone in NJ who does a good job? I always thought this was a total waste of money, but when I sold my accord few years ago with only 20k miles on it, the guy who purchased it looked at the front and mentioned how the rest of the car looks brand new but the front has a ton of marks from driving on highways.

Sandjunkie

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I had clear bra installed on the rear bumper to protect the bumper from scratches as the kids get their back packs and gear out of the trunk every day.

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
i just got the whole front end on my golf done at pro shield inc. in sterling, va. the owner/installer david is truly a pro. i recommend him for anyone wanting to get some real professional work done.

http://www.proshieldinc.com/

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
I have been slapping Clear bra's on my cars since 2004. They do tend to swirl mark a bit over time from cleanings/dryings, but overall not bad. I have even had them on white cars and I can say the newer stuff does not yellow like it used to when they first came out. Also does not hurt that I have a guy who will do the Hood, Bumper, Mirrors, Headlights, A-pillars, and door handles all for $250.

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
I paid $1250 for the front end of my Passat. That includes entire hood, entire fenders, headlights, entire bumper, foglights, both side view mirrors. I went balls out and got the entire car wrapped. It was about $1350 to get the rest of the car done. All 4 doors, side skirts, both quarter panels, entire roof, entire rear bumper, trunk lid, spoiler, area around rear license plate, door sills, and the piano black pieces on the exterior of the doors, A pillars, and the area behind the exterior door handles. Is it overkill? Hell yes it is. LOL! But now my baby is protected from rock chips, bugs, and bird crap, and those minor sometimes major scratches from idiots who have no sense of awareness and don't have courtesy of other people's property at the malls, shopping area parking lots etc. All of which bother me and my OCD with my cars. lol.

When I drive my Passat it gets driven fairly far, about 130 miles round trip 2x/week, so its exposed to alot of the rock chips and bugs in the summer, I have more piece of mind now that the paint is not totally worry free, but much better off being wrapped.

Last edited:

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
the paint protection film is completely worth it. i'm just happy i found someone in this area that does good work compared to the guys that did my wife's jsw.

tdi15

TDI
not yet
where did you get yours done

I'm thinking about doing this but finding a competent installer is much more critical than finding a business who can do it or finding a material for job. Any tip on finding a good installer ? Looked up with key word like "clear bra" "auto paint wrap" didn't show me enough search result on line.....

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
I recommend you purchase SAFELITE Auto Glass... I'm a 2x satisfied customer.

I lost a windshield too over two years ago. Thankfully, I had $0 out of pocket/Free glass. Took it to Safelite and they did a superb job. Regarding covers-

I should have invested in a clear bra in the beginning. With >78k miles I can't count the number chip marks on a black car.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I had the clear bra installed within the first 5 days of ownership. I now have 37K and no rock chips. A couple of points to bring up: I had the entire hood done so there is no line at 18 inches. You can not tell the entire hood has a clear bra. And, time and UV have yet to prove this, but I had the head lights done as well with the understanding that it will prevent fogging of the headlamp plastic covers. As I said, it will take a few years to see if that is the case.
Highly recommend clear bra with a new car, asap.

Oh, and Safelite did my front windshield about 6 months after I bought the car and I was very happy with their work. FWIW, I had decided to purchase no cost window replacement with my auto insurance, so, that's a nice feeling to be able to not suffer through cracks and dings.

Last edited: