2013 Jetta Sportwagen Pano Roof Leak

OxTheBlueBabe

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
We bought our 2013 JSW 5 months ago and had our first heavy rain of the season last week. We discovered water trickling on to the floor boards, and seeping in to the headliner. I've scoured the internet (and this forum) and have learned this is not an uncommon problem. It is recommended that one cleans the potentially clogged lines from the exit points, but I'm not sure I've found them. I've read many, many threads and it seems the routing of these lines changed a few times leading up to 2013. I have yet to read an account of someone with our model year from discovery to conclusion, and nothing anyone has described from another model year seems to match our situation. I'm including a picture of what I think might be the front driver's-side line, but it doesn't match the description of a soft, flexible hose that others describe, and I don't know where this terminates (it's a hard plastic line going in to a foam grommet). I've wedged my fingers in there and attempted to pull it out, but I can't get it to move.

Has anyone else dealt with this? I've already seen this illustration, and it does look similar, but where does it go from there, or how do I get it out? Or should I look elsewhere? Again, the photos are from the drivers side front - one wide angle, one closer up.

Thanks.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
Looks like it might merge with the cowl drains based on the diagram. Might be worthwhile to pour some water in the cowl and see where it comes out. Does either side of the sunroof drain or are they both clogged, you could pour some water in the other side if its working and see where it comes out.

Glad to see they stopped the MKIV practice of draining the cowl behind the plastic wheel well liner. First time I popped the wheel liners out on my '03 Golf after ~2.5 years there was a good 6" buildup of damp sand, dirt and tree debris packed in.

**Edit**

Also the illustration you showed says to clean the front from the drain point in the roof, the rear you clean in reverse (prob due to access).

OxTheBlueBabe

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Good observation, 03. Thanks for the input. I actually tried doing it from the roof drain holes, and on both sides the weed trimmer line (as seems to be the most common tool used) stopped at 42", with no mucky muck on the line when I pulled it out. So I'm not sure what to make of that. In previous designs, at least, the line would pass all the way through the hole.

And yes, the cowl is on the other side of that hole. You can see the hole and the (mystery?) line from above, as well. But the line disappears back inside the framing of the car below that foam grommet and goes God-knows-where. Perhaps the goal was to keep it from getting clogged as you describe from the MKIV days.

OxTheBlueBabe

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I located them. The above photos are a red herring - that is not a drain line. I had to remove the windshield wiper arms and another plastic funneling piece on the passenger side. After I did that, I was able to reach all the way back to the corners and feel the rubber nipples coming from above. (He doesn't get a good shot, but this guy's video helped me locate them.) They were stiff and a little clogged with debris. I worked them a bit and cleared them out, then ran the weed trimmer line in. It again came to a stop, so I attached the other end to a drill and had my wife hold the trigger lightly while fed the line in with both hands. That worked on both sides and I saw it come through.

So the lines are cleared and flowing pretty well, but I still think the fitting to the drain line inside the headliner is faulty. This guy pinpoints the problem and has a good solution that I intend to do later this year.