JSW Steering Rack Upgrade?

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
So, as I've completed putting MK6 Golf R springs/dampers and rear sway bar into my 2013 JSW, there's only one thing left to be desired with the handling. Steering! Even compared to my wife's 2015 Golf, the steering rack on this car is really slow. It seems to take so much wheel to get it through a corner. I'm coming from a 2013 Civic Si prior to this so maybe that is my problem. Either way, a quick search shows that Golf R and JSW have different part numbers for their steering racks, I'm assuming the Golf R rack is quicker. I can't seem to find any documentation of anyone doing this swap. I would assume that it is possible? Has anyone done it? Thanks in advance!

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
First of all I'd suggest to swap the rear bushings of front control arm for Audi RS ones. (Note that they need to be pressed out/in rather than replacing them with brackets)
Report back after this very cheap and easy swap if you're still unstatisfied.
Also, all steering racks accross Golfs are the same, so not worth spending money on parts/labour - you may only need a software reflash to switch to the 'R' version which can be done with ODIS in ~5 minutes of time.

Hope this helps.