EGR valve replacement - how easy is it ?

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Just an hr ago, got flashing coil + CEL lights. Naturally enough, pulled the codes and they are P046e and P046f - indicating a stuck EGR.

They did replace EGR 5 years ago, under wty. Called the stealer, was told that job's wty has expired (replaced around 10K, I am pushing 100K now). No part in stock either, $400 just for the part. $420 to install .

Was able to locate part 03L131501K in stock, locally (Europa !), for less than 1/2 of stealer's price, so will pick it up tomorrow.

How hard of a job is it ? I could attempt to clean it, instead of replacing, but the part is not that expensive, so I might as replace it. Dont want to go into limp mode 100 miles from home :(

Last edited:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
A quick look indicates an ez job - it is very ez to access. May be remove the air duct from the intake box.

This seems to be very close to what I have on Passat, outside of how the engines are installed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN4he3H4Nok

Anyone knows if VCDS is needed post install ?

Last edited:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally got a sunny warm day and decided the go about it.

It is not as ez as in that video, as intercooler mates directly to throttle valve - there's no intermediary rubber air hose.

So before I can get to EGR, I need to remove the TB and to remove that, I need to get the intercooler to move out of the way/disengage from the TB.

How do I do that ? All and any help most welcome :)