Evaporative Emissions Control System

tditone

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-dr, Reflex Silver
Hello,

Can someone explain what the Evaporative Emissions Control System is, in the context of a TDI?

I currently have a CEL, with a DTC stored for it (P0440 - "Evaporative Emissions Control System Malfunction") so I'm trying to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Thanks,
-Tone

PS: Yes, my fuel cap's secure. ;)

tditone

Veteran Member
TDI
:D Umm... please disregard this thread.

Apparently, I didn't have the cable in tight enough, and what I was seeing wasn't the DTC for my car, but rather the last code that it read from someone else's car!!

My code turns out to be P0673, which makes more sense since that seems to be a glowplug issue.

Many apologies!
-Tone

tditone said:
Hello,

Can someone explain what the Evaporative Emissions Control System is, in the context of a TDI?

I currently have a CEL, with a DTC stored for it (P0440 - "Evaporative Emissions Control System Malfunction") so I'm trying to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Thanks,
-Tone

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
tditone said:
Hello,

A TDI doesn't have any evap emissions control system. Nothing to worry about. Just one more trouble-prone system that gassers have which diesels thankfully don't have. :cool:

Re: Fuel cap. It won't matter if your fuel cap is loose or totally left off. There's no way a CEL can be triggered because it's not a sealed system like in a gasser and there's nothing being monitored by the ECU in this area.

tditone

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, see my explanation above on how I goofed taking that DTC reading! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the additional information though. I've actually wondered in the past about the fuel cap issue... I had a feeling this wasn't true on TDIs but I'd never known for sure until now.

-Tone

n1das said:
A TDI doesn't have any evap emissions control system. Nothing to worry about. Just one more trouble-prone system that gassers have which diesels thankfully don't have. :cool:

Re: Fuel cap. It won't matter if your fuel cap is loose or totally left off. There's no way a CEL can be triggered because it's not a sealed system like in a gasser and there's nothing being monitored by the ECU in this area.