www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old December 9th, 2017, 02:08   #1
tkoivuro

Default MK IV Variant drivers side door stuck

So I have 2001 Variant TDI and trouble is i cannot open drivers side door. The door does lock/unlock with key or central lock just fine. Both handles make that normal "door opening sound" and have some resistance when operated but the door will not open.

My guess is that the latch is just not releasing from striker. No amount of bashing, cursing and violence seemed to help.

How do i get the door opened? Climbing in from passenger side gets really old really fast
tkoivuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2017, 17:39   #2
wonneber
Veteran Member

I've worried about this happening.
Did you try lifting the door (open the window) while someone works both handles & bumps the door a bit?
My top hinge is bad and the door hangs down a tiny bit. Maybe your door is putting to much pressure to release.
I think I would take the seat out to get the inner door panel off to get in there.
Should be able to get the regulator off at that point.
Not sure how different the Golf Variant is.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 16:59   #3
where2
Veteran Member

On mine, a good solid thump of a fist on the sheet metal of the door seems to jostle something and allow it to open. Driver's side front, Driver's side rear, and sometimes the passenger rear have been sticky at times. Driver side front is about every other day...
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 11:12   #4
ItAintRodKnock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01GolfTDi
Fuel Economy: 40 with lift

As where2 stated, I also fist bump my drivers side handle, passenger front and rarely drivers rear.

I made it a rhythm, unlock with key fob, bump handle with pinky side of a fist and open door.

I have dealt with this for months now but recently read a post to lube the catch area(I used Fluid Film) and now it even occasionally opens without a fist bump. Ended up lubing my hinges for all doors, trunk and hood at the same time.
From FLA to CO!! 2001 Golf 4 door White: R520, Malone 2, McNally gauge, SB stg2E clutch, Panzer FMJ,2white2blue Moog 81055, Bilstein TC-s, homemade "$40 2 inch lift" Long time poster, now just a lurker.
ItAintRodKnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 17:54   #5
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItAintRodKnock View Post
As where2 stated, I also fist bump my drivers side handle, passenger front and rarely drivers rear.
Are you saying you bump the handle you pull, not the door skin?
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 09:17   #6
ItAintRodKnock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01GolfTDi
Fuel Economy: 40 with lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonneber View Post
Are you saying you bump the handle you pull, not the door skin?
That is what I do, I believe where2 indicated he hits the door sleeve. Personally, I find that bumping the handle works for me.

Also, I started soft and worked up to how hard I have to hit it; honestly, its a firm bump at most.
Surprisingly takes a slight bump really.
From FLA to CO!! 2001 Golf 4 door White: R520, Malone 2, McNally gauge, SB stg2E clutch, Panzer FMJ,2white2blue Moog 81055, Bilstein TC-s, homemade "$40 2 inch lift" Long time poster, now just a lurker.
ItAintRodKnock is offline   Reply With Quote