New to me 2015 GSW throwing codes

lawnarjax

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL, 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, 1994 Safari Trek (Isuzu 4BD2TC)
So after a blissful week of ownership my new girl threw a code twice now. Has cleared itself both times, but I wanted some opinions on what might be to root cause. Here is the fault info from VSDS

1 Fault Found:
23009 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation System
P240F 00 [104] - Response too Slow
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 10
Mileage: 43528 km
Date: 2017.07.11
Time: 20:31:38

Engine speed: 2161.00 /min
Normed load value: 64.3 %
Vehicle speed: 122 km/h
Coolant temperature: 90 °C
Intake air temperature: 132 °C
Ambient air pressure: 990 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 13.740 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Air mass dynamic during negative increase: error criterion: 9.41 kg/h
Air mass dynamic during positive increase: error criterion: 2.13 kg/h
Air mass dynamic during negative increase: error threshold: 8.00 kg/h
Air mass dynamic during positive increase: error threshold: 10.00 kg/h
Exhaust recirc.valve 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Act.value: 0.00 %
Exhaust recirc.valve 2 bank 1: posit.feedback - Act.value: 42.63 %
Throttl.valve adapt. 1 bank 1: posit feedback - Act.value: 0.00 %

The car is under the factory warranty and then the CPO warranty after that. From what I can gather from the boards this is may spell the end of the egr installed. Any thoughts?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I bet the car needs a good thrashing to blow out the cobwebs.

manyVAGs

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
The car had actually seen this error 10 times according to the Fault Frequency. It is still under warranty and since this is part of the emissions control system it will be under warranty for 11 year or 162,000 miles. I would take it to the dealer and let them worry about it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Could be a million different things, from bad sensor to rodents dining on some wiring.

Dealer should hook you up with a loaner, as that doesn't seem like a simple common error.

I'm currently enjoying a '16 Passat TSI "S" due to the Alltrack tossing a air bag error.

Sad Panda

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI
So after a blissful week of ownership my new girl threw a code twice now. Has cleared itself both times, but I wanted some opinions on what might be to root cause. Here is the fault info from VSDS

1 Fault Found:
23009 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation System
snip

The car is under the factory warranty and then the CPO warranty after that. From what I can gather from the boards this is may spell the end of the egr installed. Any thoughts?
Any update on what was done? I just had a P240F pop up yesterday with 19k miles and believe it is due to a cracked DPF. If you havent had it fixed yet can you check and tell me if your tail pipe is black with soot?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Any update on what was done? I just had a P240F pop up yesterday with 19k miles and believe it is due to a cracked DPF. If you havent had it fixed yet can you check and tell me if your tail pipe is black with soot?
Oh damn! :eek: 19k miles... owell, I guess we do have a nice long warranty to fall back on but that is crazy.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Welcome to USA-spec common rail.

the Europeans don't have this. Just to give an idea of how silly this fault is: from the OP freeze frame data, approx 3% deviation can result in the fault. (8kg/h limit vs 260 kg/h mass flow @2100 rpm and 65% load)

It's based on an arcane calculation comparing the rate of change of the slope of the setpoint compared to that of the measured value. (2nd derivative) It's a separate and distinct fault from the "control deviation" type of faults that we usually deal with. Its also a discreet function, separate from the usual "aircontrol" group that actually controls the EGR operation and monitoring. Kind of like a redundant "monitoring of the monitoring".

It is a bit of weirdness that only the USA-spec cars have, from 2009 CBEA to the 2015. Even the euro6 cars don't have this that I have seen. Apparently the "fix" has made it a bit more likely to pop up and annoy us.

As far as I can tell, it is nothing more than a nuisance from a practical perspective. Kind of like the P0128 in the PD's, or the actuator code in the PD's. Does not affect operation of the car in any way that I can see. It's just a nag code.

Sad Panda

TDI

the Europeans don't have this.
snip.
Still strange that this code didnt pop up for a week on mine without changing tunes, I cleared it once and it came back about 50 miles later but I do believe there was a regen in that 50 miles.

So what would happen if EGR was just completely disabled? Would anything other than NOX be affected?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
there's really nothing to be gained by disabling the egr.

2010golf

TDI
2010 golf 6spd manual RIP. 2015 golf 6spd manual
Does this trip the CEL ? . I remember seeing a few similar faults when I scanned my 2015 with VCDS but it has never tripped a CEL and car runs perfect. So i haven't been concerned.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up

the Europeans don't have this. Just to give an idea of how silly this fault is: from the OP freeze frame data, approx 3% deviation can result in the fault. (8kg/h limit vs 260 kg/h mass flow @2100 rpm and 65% load)

It's based on an arcane calculation comparing the rate of change of the slope of the setpoint compared to that of the measured value. (2nd derivative) It's a separate and distinct fault from the "control deviation" type of faults that we usually deal with. Its also a discreet function, separate from the usual "aircontrol" group that actually controls the EGR operation and monitoring. Kind of like a redundant "monitoring of the monitoring".

It is a bit of weirdness that only the USA-spec cars have, from 2009 CBEA to the 2015. Even the euro6 cars don't have this that I have seen. Apparently the "fix" has made it a bit more likely to pop up and annoy us.

As far as I can tell, it is nothing more than a nuisance from a practical perspective. Kind of like the P0128 in the PD's, or the actuator code in the PD's. Does not affect operation of the car in any way that I can see. It's just a nag code.
From what you describe, and the chatter from the fault about slow response, this sounds like the valve that controls the egr is not moving normally. Yes, you mentioned a few other reasonable causes. It seems like the stored rate of change in the slope could need to be saved again (or just manually changed, if possible). It is reasonable to have this information on the second derivitive of the EGR flow rate to make sure you do not have a failing egr valve, but sounds like it is TOO finicky. The range of operational values should be broadened.

While in there poking around in VCDS, do you see any chance that the setpoint can be a range, or the +/- tolerance broadened? If broadening it fixes the issue permanently, good. If it comes back within a few 100 miles, then the egr valve performance may indeed be changing and need replacement (or delete).

Last edited:

Sad Panda

TDI
From what you describe, and the chatter from the fault about slow response, this sounds like the valve that controls the egr is not moving normally. Yes, you mentioned a few other reasonable causes. It seems like the stored rate of change in the slope could need to be saved again (or just manually changed, if possible). It is reasonable to have this information on the second derivitive of the EGR flow rate to make sure you do not have a failing egr valve, but sounds like it is TOO finicky. The range of operational values should be broadened.

While in there poking around in VCDS, do you see any chance that the setpoint can be a range, or the +/- tolerance broadened? If broadening it fixes the issue permanently, good. If it comes back within a few 100 miles, then the egr valve performance may indeed be changing and need replacement (or delete).
Or just eliminate that code monitor all together, which seems to be the best option. Everyone needs a kerma tune lol, they sent me an update like 2 hours after asking about this code.

MB2VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL,
Had a CEL at on a Highway trip, Then it cleared...

I had an employee driving a 2015 Passat SE TDI, on a 1000 mile road trip to Atlanta. He had a CEL pop up and the car bucked...
A subsequent restart cleared the CEL, and the trip resumed without further drama.
HTML:
Address 01: Engine (J623-CVCA)       Labels:. 04L-907-309-V1.clb
Part No SW: 04L 997 016 D    HW: 04L 907 309 K
Component: R4 2.0l TDI   H20 9466  
Revision: 8AH20---    
Coding: 011D0012032410080000
Shop #: WSC 05029 444 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TDI01104L997016D 004002
ROD: EV_ECM20TDI01104L997016.rod
VCID: 3467582A9F8DC326D6-8060
1 Fault Found:
23010 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation System 
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 6
Mileage: 79243 km
Date: 2020.04.17
Time: 00:20:26
Engine speed: 2339.00 /min
Normed load value: 70.2 %
Vehicle speed: 137 km/h
Coolant temperature: 90 °C
Intake air temperature: 130 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 14.260 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 35
Air mass dynamic during negative increase: error criterion: 0.27 kg/h
Air mass dynamic during positive increase: error criterion: 4.54 kg/h
Air mass dynamic during negative increase: error threshold: 9.00 kg/h
Air mass dynamic during positive increase: error threshold: 4.00 kg/h
Exhaust recirc.valve 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Act.value: 0.00 %
Exhaust recirc.valve 2 bank 1: posit.feedback - Act.value: 52.73 %
Throttl.valve adapt. 1 bank 1: posit feedback - Act.value: 0.06 %
Readiness: 0 1 0 0 0
Would this issue be covered by the emission warranty if I took it to the dealer? I didn't clear the code...
BTW the car seems to have been fine for last 1500 miles or so... over the past 2 weeks.
Thanks

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Hi. I see that annoying fault a lot. It has no affect on running conditions. Ignore it and clear if if you like. Happens on older and newer firmware versions. Easy for your tuner to remove this fault. Jeff ;-))

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Hi. I see that annoying fault a lot. It has no affect on running conditions. Ignore it and clear if if you like. Happens on older and newer firmware versions. Easy for your tuner to remove this fault. Jeff ;-))
I like the way you think... #oneday :D

TDI
2015 jetta
I get this error every time I hit 86 mph... kinda annoying ;)
It happens every morning lately. Took it to the dealer and they said that a faulty def injector was causing it. Guess what popped up on the way home?

Den

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Baltic Green & 2015 Passat SE TDI 6 spd. auto.
codes

well on my 2015 Passat tdi at 40 k miles i'm getting the following codes, air bag, abs, traction control, low tire pressure, engine cruse control and steering.
Tried to re set the low tire pressure but it will not re set. most of the time all these coder are lit up on the instrument panel like Christmas, once in a while they all work but most of the time they are all on. Car still drives on. Did a battery disconnect to try to stop the codes, but it did not work.
This car most likely will be the last vw in a long time vw ownership, poor mileage ( rare to get 40 mpg) :mad:and these issues plus uncomfortable seats just make me un happy.
Dealer lied to me about mileage and and other things and every time it goes in for service they try to sell me a front end alignment, which they have done on every car I have purchased from them, HELLO, doesn't VW set the alignment on the front end when they build the darn thing?
Do other dealers try to sell you an alignment when the car is new?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Sounds like the battery was disconnected and all of the car's "memory" of basic settings for those things was lost.
If you have VCDS (or can get access to them), try doing the Basic Settings for the Steering wheel (I think it is).

If you look at my ACC retrofit link below in my signature (toward the bottom of post#8 in that thread), I had the same thing until I did that one reset. And then everything literally cleared up.