Idle issues and shuddering issues. Help!

slayer3055

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have searched and read and searched and read more but here it goes. Ok VW people. Question. Bought a 06 TDI Jetta a couple of weeks ago. Occasionally it cuts out/studders around 3700 rpm under load. It idles oddly some and I can replicate a chug chug if I feather the throttle and let off. It has died a few times now and the last time it died and would not restart. Finally got it started and has ran since. No codes being shown from VCDS. I thought it was a in tank fuel pump. Replaced that Wednesday and no change at all. Tried a new mass airflow and no change. Fuel filter is new. Injector balance is within the +2/-2 range. Taking to a friends tonight to put on lift and check for boost leaks on turbo and intercooler. If I don't find anything I'm lost. Anyone have any ideas? I stopped my the Import Doktor in Louisville the other day and I have an appointment scheduled for Tuesday. The owner said to check for boost leaks and we tried the new maf in his parking lot.

slayer3055

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The cam has not been visually inspected. The owner of the shop said it for was the cam we would hear it more and more issues. Hoping he's right.

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Inspect the cam not that hard to do. Other things I would try is Diesel Purge to clean the injectors. Also would inspect EGR cooler for leaks; and try zip tie mod if VNT holds vacuum.

slayer3055

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I filled the fuel filter canister with diesel purge when I changed the filter last week. To inspect the cam is the valve cover like the ALH and has a self sealing gasket? I just got back from looking at the turbo and intercooler. Didn't really see anything. The turbo may have had a little oil on the back. It was hard to tell. I should have taken pictures.

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Not sure about the ALH but BRM cam cover gasket is thick rubber that is reused. Just undo the 30 mm Trox heads; cover does not come off at TDC.

EGR cooler is thing on back of engine look for leaks around there. My vacuum canister/valve cracked and caused a vacuum leak when it tried to operate. This caused limp mode and other things. Other coolers leak at rod or get dirty with carbon and stay open. Just not a well thought built item.

slayer3055

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Update: EGR cooler is new. Found a small vacuum leak on the vacuum hose that goes to the vnt actuator. It appears when the egr cooler was replaced the turbo was taken off and the vnt actuator was not adjusted after the turbo was put back in.

slayer3055

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
VNT adjusted and still had issues. Ended up finding the timing belt tensioner was loose and there was about 1 1/2" of play in the timing belt causing the chug studder. Tightened up the tensioner and chug is gone. The cam torsion value was at -2. Adjusted cam pulley to set it at 1.5.

Colton191211

TDI
2006 1.9L TDI
help!!! ive got an 2006 1.9L BRM tdi jetta
two years ago the cam, water pump, timing belt and tensoner was replaced. the car now keeps retarding its timing after about 250km after it gets timed properly. i thought it was the tensenor again so i replaced it and it keeps on happening but i also notice the serpentine belt is shredding a bit and its a brand new belt

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Well you’re due for a new timing belt kit anyway. Make sure everything is torqued to spec with the new kit and see what happens.
As far as the serpentine belt. Check the alternator clutch and the belt tensioner. Sounds like one or both are bad.

Colton191211

TDI
2006 1.9L TDI
The alternator is perfectly fine and was just replaced due to the casing being cracked the tensioner seems to be in good condition still
On the other hand it may be due for a timing belt kit but the problem is it keeps slipping out of time and we can’t figure out why I don’t want to through a new belt kit at it yet because there hasn’t been a whole lot of km on it since last done

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Slipping out of time means something a loose or worn. When replacing the timing belt kit, I would also replace the tensioner stud as well as the three cam bolts.