Flipped V6 trans into Tdi Vanagon. Tim Shettle adapter plate

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
i would say get rid of the vent right over the diff and move it to the front (shifter end) where there is less slinging of oil goin on ... kudos otherwise on your project ... again may i ask, did you end up using the complete 944 axles ?
or just the joints?... are they the same length as the van axles ?

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
i would say get rid of the vent right over the diff and move it to the front (shifter end) where there is less slinging of oil goin on ... kudos otherwise on your project ... again may i ask, did you end up using the complete 944 axles ?
or just the joints?... are they the same length as the van axles ?

In the filler/old drain hole I can see a big gear directly below it. I think it's flinging the oil up the shoot... I'll relocate it as suggested.

I thought my pictures made it obvious, but yes, I used all new 944 axles. There are some expensive ones out there, but I didn't get those ones, I got the cheap-o ones. They seem like ok quality and reviewers had good things to say about them. It is absolutely insane that Porsche parts are a direct fit to Vanagon parts :eek::rolleyes:! I pulled both out as far as they would go, and compressed them (the old and new) and they all had about the same amount of travel. Same bolt pattern. Same cup sizes. Porsche uses allen instead of stupid triple square, evidently. Or at least thats what came with the set. In every way I can tell, they are identical. I actually worried that they were completely identical and wouldn't make any difference when I first got them and was inspecting them. The people that discussed using the 944 axles in the post I linked earlier talked about the differences. There weren't many, iirc.

4 liters? how much is supposed to be in it? seem excessive..

so only 2 ways i know stuff gets blown out a vent...

1 overfilled

2.. a bearing thats over heating.. causes hot spot.. gear oil boils up out the vent.. something id worry inverting one could cause

4 liters is more then a gal of gear oil.. i think you need to check for its proper fill amount

Thanks for the ideas there. I think I overfilled it a bit and the vent is in a less than ideal spot as stated before. I don't know how much it should take anymore... Sort of charting new territory here. ;)

Andrew

Last edited:

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
Well… I’ve been driving it around all this week and most everything has gone well. The throw out bearing makes a little noise with the clutch out and sitting at idle, but I’m not too worried about it. I’ve gotten better at finding 5th gear, but it’s still not easy to get into. I need 5th so rarely that it’s not a hassle, but I can imagine wanting it to be easier in the future—once everything else is done. I sold my 2003 V6 Passat wagon today, and I’m really glad I did: I kept on mixing up the gearing sequence between the two and reaching for 5th in one, or 2nd in the other! I think now I can get used to one pattern and settle in there.

Which leads me to the transmission vent. Who knew the toughest part of this whole swap was the GD vent!? I relocated the vent pipe so many times I lost track. I tried a U configuration (soooooo many pipe clamps!), and a complete circle, and left, and right, and incorporating the old vent with the new, and wishing upon the first star I saw at night… None of it worked; the thing still leaked. I finally broke down and got a 4’ length of fuel hose and fed it up the air intake on the side back, and made that the vent. Then it didn’t leak!

I really believe that
1. It is not overfilled, and
2. It is not boiling.

1. It is not overfilled rationale: I contacted Tim Shettle and asked how much trans fluid he uses. He said 4.5 liters! That’s right; well over one US gallon! I figure he knows a thing or two having invented a major component of this thing.
So. I went ahead and drained all the fluid in there (because I couldn’t remember how much was in there. And between it leaking everywhere and me not remembering—best just to start all over), and refilled it with 4.5 liters, and extended the GD hose 4’ up the shoot. And it doesn’t leak any more!
I really think the centrifugal force of the big gear I could see through the old drain hole was making oil go up the short pipe. It happened mostly, and quite possibly only, in 5th gear, which makes me think that the gear I could see through the hole, was really cranking and made the oil go out the short vent pipe.

2. It’s not boiling rationale: It just doesn’t get very hot. I realize that there is a lot of volume to warm up in there, but if any amount of the volume gets warm enough to boil, it should be hot coming out the pipe; and it’s just not. I have a “laser” thing that tells me the temperature of things I point it at (I inspect houses). It is pretty damn accurate when I have shot it at water boiling on the stove, and then compared that to a conventional thermometer. There was no difference in temperature between the oil in the vent pipe, and the oil in the transmission when I used my “laser.” It’s not that it was a degree or two different; it was identical. 78* after a long hard drive on a 55* day.

So. I think I just needed a long vent pipe so that the big gear I could see in the vent hole could do its thing in 5th gear, and not loose oil through the vent. Time will tell if I’m right. I figure worst case is that I’m wrong, the transmission blows up, and I have to buy another one (for $200.00) and modify it again to fit back in there. A starter motor costs more than that. I’ll fess up if that’s the case, but for now wish me luck and happy travels!

Andrew

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
build a catch can into the vent line.. t the vent hose to both bottom and top of it.. then add a vent outta it... this way any oil that makes its way into it can drain back in when sitting..

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
build a catch can into the vent line.. t the vent hose to both bottom and top of it.. then add a vent outta it... this way any oil that makes its way into it can drain back in when sitting..

Based off of some pictures that Tim sent showing his vent system, I came up with the system described below. It's pretty simple, and for 2 days now it's worked! :D

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
almost...

imo adding a catch can to your vent stack.. the top vent needs to have a straw sticking down a little bit into the can.. then the vent goes beside it.. on the top so there is a "air chamber" at the top of the catch can.. bottom feeds back to drain as its sitting still.

did this on a few very worn 1.6 diesels where the plate on the block is used to return the oil its blowing out.. works good on those.. so it should catch and return any oil that may get blown out.. so if on a long road trip.. you may not end up with a smelly mess

i also hope you used clear hose for the lower one of your drawing... as it sits over night you can "mark" it and can always view tranny oil level before you start out for the day

Last edited:

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
Got just over 100 miles logged today. I haven't been driving it because it was leaking from both coolant flanges, and I was sick of seeing all my pricey G12 on the ground. Got those swapped out today and made it over the 100 mile mark.

The fuel gauge is right between the 1/2 and 3/4 mark (5/8?). That needle seems like a drunken sailor though, so I don't know how much to rely on it. I've gotten better at getting into 5th. I have to shift slow, and feel it in there. 2nd is not intuitive to get into, especially since its so far away, but it's doable.

I can't get over how smooth the thing is now. We have so little engine noise in the cab I can hear the bearings in the front passenger wheel grinding and begging to be replaced from sitting for so long. It's just the sound and feel of wind pushing the thing all over the road, and feedback from that road, instead of the engine wailing away back there. It's just miraculous!

We booked a ferry ride to Vancouver Island in Late June after school is out and are planning on taking this beast. It'll be our first real camping trip in it in years. With how it's functioning right now, I cant wait! I'll beta test it until then and continue to post the results here. I'm moderately excited to see what my fuel economy is, but I know this first tank will be way off from all the idling I've done and short trips I've taken testing everything out.

More in a week or so--

Andrew

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
Had a bit of a scare this morning. I was sitting at the window of the coffee booth. When I let the clutch out it made a bad noise back there, like the throw out bearing was not happy. I put the clutch right back in and the sound went right away. A few more tries made the same bad noise, so I shut it down until I got my coffee.

After driving away and at the next stop sign I let out the clutch again and no bad sounds. I thought it might have been because I was at an angle by the coffee booth or something?

Driving it later in the day I noticed it happen a few more times. Finally, I figured out that it just isn't going into neutral all the way. The old transmission wanted to be in neutral all the time so I could just flick it out of gear and I could rely on it settling into neutral. This one I actually have to put in neutral, in more or less the right spot, and with all the play inherent in my awesome system, finding neutral isn't exactly as easy as it sounds.

Anyway. There's that mystery solved. Still on the first tank of fuel and over 200 miles now. I've got about 1/4 tank left. I'll fill it up sometime soon and report what my mileage has been.

Andrew

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
I forgot to check the fuel economy with the first tank, but the second tank today revealed 32mpg!:cool: Which I like. A lot!

I was just above 300 miles on the tank and the gas needle was fluctuating between 1/4 left and in the red. The engine started missing and hesitating like it was running out of fuel so I filled it up and it went away. I'm a little concerned at how off the gas gauge is. I think I'll just plan on refilling at around 300 miles under normal conditions, just to play it safe.

It feels like there is a little more vibrations these days, but not enough to bother investigating yet. I let a friend who has a '72 bus, drive mine the other day and he was just blown away. "It's like a normal car," he said all surprised. It was great :D

type11969

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Any updates? Seriously pondering a tdi swap in to my bay, but not thrilled about clearance and drive shaft angle. On the fence about running an inverted tranny for long distances. I have a passat diesel tranny ready to go, but I'm giving the subaru tranny swap a lot of thought. Definitely more expensive, maybe 2-3x if using the passat tranny conversion parts, although I'm not sure how the 944 axle need changes that. Where did you buy yours (or did I miss a link to that earlier in the thread)? Cost?

The 3.9 final drive subaru gears option puts a non-turbo 5MT gearing right inline with tdi tranny gearing - 72mph at 2500rpm with stock 185R14 tires. Clearance should be better, driveshaft angle is good, non-flipped operation is nice from a known longevity perspective, but the $2500 or so bill is tough for sure.

Stock tdi flywheel and clutch is nice with the passat tranny, although allegedly a stock tdi flywheel can be used with the subarugears conversion with a subaru clutch disk - trying to find out more about this now.

Decisions, decisions.

-Chris

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
The 944 CV has more working angle and are a bit stronger(balls are smaller
so cage is bigger) at least compared with older Bugs.Don't know about newer
VW's.

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
Any updates? Seriously pondering a tdi swap in to my bay, but not thrilled about clearance and drive shaft angle. On the fence about running an inverted tranny for long distances. I have a passat diesel tranny ready to go, but I'm giving the subaru tranny swap a lot of thought. Definitely more expensive, maybe 2-3x if using the passat tranny conversion parts, although I'm not sure how the 944 axle need changes that. Where did you buy yours (or did I miss a link to that earlier in the thread)? Cost?
The 3.9 final drive subaru gears option puts a non-turbo 5MT gearing right inline with tdi tranny gearing - 72mph at 2500rpm with stock 185R14 tires. Clearance should be better, driveshaft angle is good, non-flipped operation is nice from a known longevity perspective, but the $2500 or so bill is tough for sure.
Stock tdi flywheel and clutch is nice with the passat tranny, although allegedly a stock tdi flywheel can be used with the subarugears conversion with a subaru clutch disk - trying to find out more about this now.
Decisions, decisions.
-Chris
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=462619

Just got back from 900 mile trip to and from Vancouver Island. 120kph speed limit from Nanaimo, north and the van did great. Over 70mph (70-75) felt like too fast-- but only because of handling. The engine/transmission handled it fine, but the aerodynamics and etc seemed taxed. I kept it between 65-70 and it handled all but the steepest hills (in 5th) and corners with ease at that speed.

From Nanaimo to Tofino is a significant mountain range. Mileage for the trip was over 32 mpg. It was quiet and smooth. For the money I can't imagine doing better. The axles are easy to get. I got cheap partsgeek ones. They really made all the difference.
The conversion itself is easy enough. You have to decide on linkage-- my setup is messing me up when I switch cars! The adapter plate is plug and play and the rest is easy to figure out. If l, heaven forbid, the trans ever blows up, they are cheap ($200.00+/-) to get, and easy enough to take out and replace.

Anyway. Hope something in there answered your questions. I like my setup and would do it again without hesitation.

Andrew

type11969

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Ends up I was an idiot in my excel spreadsheet and I referenced the wrong cell when running the numbers on the subaru gears conversion - I was referencing a final drive from a tdi tranny instead of the 3.9 ratio. So I'm likely back on the flipped tranny route - although I did just find a JDM spec turbo diesel 6sp transmission which would be sweet for this swap. Only $1500 shipped, not terrible, but a tough pill to swallow with a 5sp passat diesel tranny sitting in your garage.

Any thoughts on using a more up to date tdi engine? Its easy to find ALHs and BEWs, a PD100 would be sweet. Also curious about using an engine from a passat vs. an engine from a golf/jetta - I'm assuming the mounting is different in a transverse vs. longitudinal setup, but are the mounting bosses maintained from an engine in one layout to another?

Also, looks like you went with the 15 deg install angle - why not 50 deg? Would that have improved ground clearance, or is the low point still the bellhousing?

-Chris

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
Ends up I was an idiot in my excel spreadsheet and I referenced the wrong cell when running the numbers on the subaru gears conversion - I was referencing a final drive from a tdi tranny instead of the 3.9 ratio. So I'm likely back on the flipped tranny route - although I did just find a JDM spec turbo diesel 6sp transmission which would be sweet for this swap. Only $1500 shipped, not terrible, but a tough pill to swallow with a 5sp passat diesel tranny sitting in your garage.
Any thoughts on using a more up to date tdi engine? Its easy to find ALHs and BEWs, a PD100 would be sweet. Also curious about using an engine from a passat vs. an engine from a golf/jetta - I'm assuming the mounting is different in a transverse vs. longitudinal setup, but are the mounting bosses maintained from an engine in one layout to another?
Also, looks like you went with the 15 deg install angle - why not 50 deg? Would that have improved ground clearance, or is the low point still the bellhousing?
-Chris

I wouldn't use a tdi transmission in this setup unless you had a monster of an engine. I have a AFN tuned to around 125hp. It works great, but won't go up the big hills in 5th gear. A tdi transmission would be geared too low. You'd be back to doing hills in 3rd unless you had around 200 hp, and then you'll be into the engine for bucketloads of $$$. Also, the tdi transmissions are pricey; the V6 tranny is cheap, if not free.

Any tdi engine will work for this pretty well, but I don't think anything after the ALH will have the right mounting bolts to make installation a snap (someone correct me if I'm wrong here). I like my AFN from Frans because it was a good price, Frans tuned it for me to make it go (again for not much $$), it has great power and can easily have more if I ever want it, and it's a solid upgrade from the AHU with the better turbo/injectors/and pistons. And parts for the AFN are readily available (they're all ahu parts except the turbo). With ALH you have to work a bit and spend a little bit of $$ to get the power that this AFN from Frans comes with.

I went with the setup I have because that's what I had. My vanagon was originally a diesel, and I just reused the oil pan and mounting hardware. I thought mine was a 50*, but maybe I'm wrong. The low point is the bell housing for the transmission, and that tab/flange on the bottom. 7" of clearance really is a lot though! How much off roading do you do? The idea of tons of clearance is often more appealing than the reality of the need for it.

Andrew

type11969

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I already have a tdi tranny from a passat, code DUK, lucky find at a local breaker ($250). Curb weight of a Westy is actually pretty similar to a jetta wagon tdi, and less than a passat wagon tdi, so I'm not too concerned about ratios - of course this "analysis" ignores aerodynamics which I am sure are a bigger piece of the puzzle. A PD100 with a basic tune might take care of this, but of course if I find I need shorter ratios, I can nab a v6 tranny. I *think* I can mill the 15mm off of the bellhousing at work, so that won't be a big issue moving to a different tranny.

Mounting is definitely a good question, if the bolt patterns don't work out with the flipped adapters available, I might have to re-evaluate.

I think you are completely right about the actual need for ground clearance. Here on the northeast, I've barely done anything more than drive down a dirt road.

I'm imagining (in an idyllic, haven't started the project yet sort of way) buying an alh or bew golf or jetta automatic with, inevitably, a blown tranny, for next to nothing, and using this as the engine/electronics donor. Reality might paint a very different picture. Plus I'm sure my wife will love another non-working car in our driveway . . .

-Chris

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
SO... Feeling kinda confused...

You have the front of the engine at the rear of the vanagon, and the tail of the transmission facing forward - if I have the pictures correct.

Is your engine running in reverse rotation? transmission running backward? Both?

Or are you driving around with 5 reverse gears and one forward? :D

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
SO... Feeling kinda confused...

You have the front of the engine at the rear of the vanagon, and the tail of the transmission facing forward - if I have the pictures correct.

Is your engine running in reverse rotation? transmission running backward? Both?

Or are you driving around with 5 reverse gears and one forward? :D

It's just magic, real hocus pocus stuff :cool:.

After reading your question(s), I can't remember what's running where or in which direction anymore... But if memory serves, turning the transmission upside down makes it effectively run backwards, or reverse, or whatever direction is the right way, and opposite of its original direction. Engine still runs in the same direction.

From what I've read reversing engine running direction is technically difficult (no one has done it. Maybe you can, Windex! :D).

Last edited:

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
I already have a tdi tranny from a passat, code DUK, lucky find at a local breaker ($250). Curb weight of a Westy is actually pretty similar to a jetta wagon tdi, and less than a passat wagon tdi, so I'm not too concerned about ratios - of course this "analysis" ignores aerodynamics which I am sure are a bigger piece of the puzzle. A PD100 with a basic tune might take care of this, but of course if I find I need shorter ratios, I can nab a v6 tranny. I *think* I can mill the 15mm off of the bellhousing at work, so that won't be a big issue moving to a different tranny.

Mounting is definitely a good question, if the bolt patterns don't work out with the flipped adapters available, I might have to re-evaluate.

I think you are completely right about the actual need for ground clearance. Here on the northeast, I've barely done anything more than drive down a dirt road.

I'm imagining (in an idyllic, haven't started the project yet sort of way) buying an alh or bew golf or jetta automatic with, inevitably, a blown tranny, for next to nothing, and using this as the engine/electronics donor. Reality might paint a very different picture. Plus I'm sure my wife will love another non-working car in our driveway . . .

-Chris
Curb weights are quite different. Below is my 2005 passat wagon and my westy. I'd imagine the Jetta weighs much less than the passat. Also, my vanagon holds A Lot of stuff, along with kids and a wife. Weight difference is most likely over 1000 lbs. And the passat pictured below is a BHW; an ALH will be lighter and have less power.

My $0.02 anyway :).

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=462619

Just got back from 900 mile trip to and from Vancouver Island. 120kph speed limit from Nanaimo, north and the van did great. Over 70mph (70-75) felt like too fast-- but only because of handling. The engine/transmission handled it fine, but the aerodynamics and etc seemed taxed. I kept it between 65-70 and it handled all but the steepest hills (in 5th) and corners with ease at that speed.

From Nanaimo to Tofino is a significant mountain range. Mileage for the trip was over 32 mpg. It was quiet and smooth. For the money I can't imagine doing better. The axles are easy to get. I got cheap partsgeek ones. They really made all the difference.
The conversion itself is easy enough. You have to decide on linkage-- my setup is messing me up when I switch cars! The adapter plate is plug and play and the rest is easy to figure out. If l, heaven forbid, the trans ever blows up, they are cheap ($200.00+/-) to get, and easy enough to take out and replace.

Anyway. Hope something in there answered your questions. I like my setup and would do it again without hesitation.

Andrew
Thanks for the update. I hope you find a nice way to fix the shift pattern - that would be my hesitiation.

On speed - I recently got some new front tires, alignment, tie rod ends as well as a steering box adjustment. The result is a bus that is more confidently planted at speed. If any of the above can be improved in your setup, you might find you can go a little faster and still be in control...

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
For the fore/aft part of the shift pattern, you would (as above) need to move the shift rod attachment to the opposite side of the shift rod fulcrum.

It would make the rod push where it presently pulls, and it would pull where it currently pushes. For the side to side, you would need to introduce a second pivot at the shift box, or index the shift rod with a ball and socket to reverse the rod's rotation with side to side movement.

Interesting problem.

Something like this:

tjhannink

TDI
1987 Vanagon Camper TDI
I have been working on building a bottom pivot shifter to reverse the pattern on my upside down Passat DVS 5-speed transaxle that I installed in my Vanagon. Right now I just drive it with the reverse pattern and it works great.

Tim Hannink - NOLA
1987 Vanagon Camper with a 1999 Passat TDI (AHU) motor and trans.

vwaudiwelder

TDI
00 Mk4 Jetta Sedan /02 Mk4 Jetta Wagon
Hello, I have a 2wd front track transmission from a 2001 Audi A4. I wonder just how successful using this kit it would mate up to my ALH TDI and fit into my 1966 splitty bus? Otherwise I was planning on using a super beetle transmission and Kennedy's kit. Thanks all!

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello, I have a 2wd front track transmission from a 2001 Audi A4. I wonder just how successful using this kit it would mate up to my ALH TDI and fit into my 1966 splitty bus? Otherwise I was planning on using a super beetle transmission and Kennedy's kit. Thanks all!

It would be worth it to send an email to Tim Sheddle (http://ultimate-engineering.co.uk/) and ask him. I'm 99% sure the adapter plate would work with the ALH engine and Audi transmission. I think the V6 gear ratios are a little better than the 1.8t, but they are both pretty close to each other irrc.

I don't know how it would work all with axles and motor mounts, but if your mounting everything in a '66, there's going to be a lot of custom framing regardless.

Have fun!

Andrew

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been working on building a bottom pivot shifter to reverse the pattern on my upside down Passat DVS 5-speed transaxle that I installed in my Vanagon. Right now I just drive it with the reverse pattern and it works great.
Tim Hannink - NOLA
1987 Vanagon Camper with a 1999 Passat TDI (AHU) motor and trans.

I like all the ideas for making the shifter reverse directions, and shift the "right" way, but yea... I've become accustomed to the shifting pattern in my bus now, and it really isn't bad. In any stick shift car there is a learning curve (however small) with clutch engagement and travel, reverse location/direction (mostly thanks to VW and Volvo!), and the travel and slop of the shifter mechanism. This isn't too much different than that. It really only comes into play when down shifting around corners, and switching back and forth between cars. For some reason going from my passat, and my vanagon is the most confusing and worst! Maybe because I know the shift pattern is supposed to be the same, but isn't :D. My old Toyota truck takes me a beat or two to adjust, but then it's fine.

Anyway. I don't anticipate changing the shifter (too many other things to do!), but the information provided here about it is great. Thanks again for all the ideas!

Andrew

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
On the super beetle trans: If you decide to go that way, be sure it will take the torque. There was someone who had a stock 091 and broke it with a TDI. Mine is a built 091 and has been OK. If I were to do it over again, I'd want to do the flipped trans as described in this thread. The result should be more gears, more reliable and less cost than a built 091.

vwaudiwelder

TDI
00 Mk4 Jetta Sedan /02 Mk4 Jetta Wagon
ALH TDI splitty bus: LISBETH

Thanks so much. I have long since sold off both the swing axle and IRS beetle transmissions supplied in my bus. I have also sold the OEM flat 4 engine and transmission with gear reduction boxes. Yes, indeed I am using the V6 30 valve 012 transmission from a Front Track Audi A4. The problem I am having now is the V6 flywheel will not bolt up to the ALH crank, there are too many bolts. Also, the 23 spline V6 friction disc is much too large to fit into the dual mass flywheel DMF from the TDI. I wonder if the 1.8T flywheel and clutch from a longitudinal Audi A4 might work for me as I believe they might have 6 bolts to the crank, the same 23 splines on the input shaft as the V6, AND the teeth should be on the engine side. I cannot think if any other domestic OEM parts that will work for me. I very much hope the 1.8T starter 2 bolt holes line up with my Shettle adapter plate, the 30 valve V6 do not at all. 1966 splitty TDI bus, here we go! P.S. I have installed a 5" narrowed Porsche 951 rear torsion beam axle and 19x11 Carrera Lobster Claw wheels, what a tight fit! I have also removed the OEM torsion beam and engine cradle as one complete unit with spring plates if anyone needs it....How can I post pictures of all this madness?

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
I wonder if the 1.8T flywheel and clutch from a longitudinal Audi A4 might work for me as I believe they might have 6 bolts to the crank, the same 23 splines on the input shaft as the V6, AND the teeth should be on the engine side.
Yes it will :)