exhaust/road smell and vagcom steetings

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
So every time I start the car if I don't press recirculate I get the exhaust/road smell. Can I set this with my vag-com to be on when the car starts?

On my 2005.5 TDI I don't get this issues, and its rather annoying.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
What are "Vagcom Steetings"? The purpose of VCDS is not to help you ignore poisonous and potentially deadly gases from coming into the cabin.

You have an exhaust leak. For the safety of you and your passengers, by all means fix it. Probably a leaking EGR or................

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
What are "Vagcom Steetings"? The purpose of VCDS is not to help you ignore poisonous and potentially deadly gases from coming into the cabin.

You have an exhaust leak. For the safety of you and your passengers, by all means fix it. Probably a leaking EGR or................
not an exhaust leak. at highway speeds the air pressure pushes its way through the AC in the off position. as i get passed by motorcycle or uncatted cars i can smell it in the cabin along with a little bit of air pushing through the vents. hitting reticulation it stops.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I suspect that you have an exhaust leak under the hood. I would start by checking the area immediately downstream of the turbo for black soot residue.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
Oh, I got ya. Kinda like when you can smell a skunk that is near your car even though the windows are rolled up.

Try replacing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ov3WpO9H7I Make sure you get the filter that is carbon impregnated.
yeah kinda. Its on my list to switch it out to a carbon impregnated one. that still doen't solve the air pushing through when driving at the system is off.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
It could be that even if off is selected, air flow isn't completely shut off.

From a safety standpoint, it would be extremely prudent to check for exhaust leaks. If you can smell fumes, it is a pretty good chance that you have a leak.

What you would do is to put the car up on jack stands or even ramps, remove the bottom engine cover and make a close visual inspection on the back of the engine from below for evidence of soot coming from exhaust components.

Remember that carbon monoxide is orderless and tasteless and can occur without the accompanying diesel or gasoline smell. A sleeping child in the back seat could be exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning and you might not even know it until you try to wake them up.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
It could be that even if off is selected, air flow isn't completely shut off.

From a safety standpoint, it would be extremely prudent to check for exhaust leaks. If you can smell fumes, it is a pretty good chance that you have a leak.

What you would do is to put the car up on jack stands or even ramps, remove the bottom engine cover and make a close visual inspection on the back of the engine from below for evidence of soot coming from exhaust components.

Remember that carbon monoxide is orderless and tasteless and can occur without the accompanying diesel or gasoline smell. A sleeping child in the back seat could be exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning and you might not even know it until you try to wake them up.
you're missing what I'm saying.

I had a loaner car today, same exact issue. When the AC/heat is off the outside air vents through the car when you drive unless I press the recirculation button.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
you're missing what I'm saying.

I had a loaner car today, same exact issue. When the AC/heat is off the outside air vents through the car when you drive unless I press the recirculation button.
That is normal operation to prevent carbon dioxide from your breath building up in the vehicle.

Some vehicles block all airflow when the system is off, but most keep the recirculation door open so that you get a natural draft through the vehicle.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
That is normal operation to prevent carbon dioxide from your breath building up in the vehicle.

Some vehicles block all airflow when the system is off, but most keep the recirculation door open so that you get a natural draft through the vehicle.
not a fan of this. I like how my MK5 does it. :(