www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old December 8th, 2017, 21:09   #16
MD2010jsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post
MQB is a chassis code, DQ250 is transmission code, and CMD is a flash tool. The kessV2 unit is what a lot of tuning shops use since it's more affordable and covers a huge array of cars. There's a ton of other tools out there for flashing, we have more than ten different tools in house but mostly use alientech's since that's what our dealers use.

Without a DSG tune on the 2015 EA288s, if you try (and torque isn't intentionally limited) you can at times get shudder at low RPMs. The transmission will downshift before you can typically cause it to happen, so you would have to go in 5th/6th and stomp on it from very low RPMs. This is bad for the car in the first place and shouldn't be done regardless. It varies a bit per car, the DSG tune is well worthwhile and livens the car up a lot as well. Software on the 2015s is different from 09-14s, best to bump up the clamping force on either and the changes to the shift pattern are night and day. I'd consider dsg tuning mandatory for turbo swaps on the ea288, and nice to have on a stock car.

plus launch control is pretty hilarious.

Do you have a dsg tune for the 2015+?
MD2010jsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 21:48   #17
keaton
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 Mk5

Quote:
I personally love the mk7 platform and interior, emissions systems seem a lot more reliable too and they can put down solid power stock. Stock turbo puts down around 170whp/300lb-ft on our dyno tuned, 130-135/230-235 stock pre and post fix software. That's as far as you can go without banging off EGT limiters and over-spooling. Past that you'll need deletes and a bigger muffler bearing.

Are you getting shudder with stock ECU software or is the car already tuned? these things like to lug a bit and hang under 1500 even with a medium load, little low RPM wise.
as far as i know the car is stock and has the emission fix (tune + DEF tank)

yeah its lugging with medium load and low RPM
My CAN Bus Project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QuRBQzGs-c
WEC Audi Racing Stream: www.audi-liveracing.com
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2017, 06:00   #18
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

Anything other than the CR190 (GTD1449vz) is going to take quite a bit of custom parts like oil feed and return lines, some creativity with a couple coolant hard pipes, and TIP and charge piping. I'm hoping for ~220hp/375ft-lbs with my GTD1752vrk. Will be getting it on the dyno once the tune is all buttoned up. Fuel economy on my last tank (with LOTS of data logging!) was still 51mpg.

adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2017, 15:34   #19
Owain@malonetuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2010jsw View Post
Do you have a dsg tune for the 2015+?
Yes, only working direct though for the golf/sportwagen since our normal dealer tools won't flash them.

Looking forward to it Ryan! That turbo seems to spool great, considering one for my BEW as well Been messing around with a lot of BMWs lately so sure Mark will get it running well.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2017, 17:01   #20
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Stock turbo puts down around 170whp/300lb-ft on our dyno tuned
That mirrors projected power for Rocketchip Stage 2. I have that on my '15 and it makes a big difference in midrange torque, and especially accelerating in 6th (manual transmission).

I've owned a lot of TDIs with a lot of different hardware and software setups. These days a tune with stock hardware seems pretty attractive. Back in the rotary pump days you'd have to swap out a lot of hardware to get to the power numbers a tune alone will provide on the new engines.
Old December 9th, 2017, 17:37   #21
Owain@malonetuning

Yup, imagine all of the good tuners are making roughly the same power, Jeff is usually on the higher side and certainly knows what he's doing. Curious to see what kind of features he comes since he's been daily driving one since the summer and messing around with things a lot. I'm really happy with the way the EA288s perform on fully stock components, always consider buying one when we have them in for a couple days.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2017, 18:27   #22
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

He tuned my car back in June (when it had 900 miles on it!) and last month updated it to improve power delivery on tip-in. That makes a bid difference, as I think power from launch is a weak point on CR TDIs, compared to tuned rotary pump cars which, frankly, have spoiled me.
Old December 12th, 2017, 06:52   #23
dieselherb1
Veteran Member

The guys in Europe say the engine to start with is the CKRA. Came in the 12-14 Passat I believe.
dieselherb1 is offline   Reply With Quote