Winter woes - windscreen washers not working

tamoshanter

TDI
Hello,

Driving to work today, I am used to the time it normally takes for the washers to work, but pulling back on the stick, no noise, and the wipers didn't come on. Same with the rear wiper/washer. No washers

However, the wipers work fine if I'm not working the washer part. They come on, intermittent, normal and fast. Rear works no problem. Just when I try to use the washers they don't work , neither front nor rear.

Any ideas? is there a separate fuse for the washers WITH wipers, as opposed to wipers OR washers?

Please help, as it's -12c and I will need to drive home at some point! :eek:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Either a blown fuse, or the fluid in your bottle is frozen. Either because it’s plain water or summer fluid.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Either a blown fuse, or the fluid in your bottle is frozen. Either because it’s plain water or summer fluid.
.... I'll bite. :p

.... This ol' Okie has no idea what summer fluid is.

.... or *why* anyone would want it their washer tank.

.... and for reasons just like this.

.... I have seen OkieVille temps way way down there. But I use only one fluid summer and winter.

.... What is the advantage of *summer* fluid?

.... Alcohol on the car paint? -- if so, i'll chance it.

tamoshanter

TDI
Water wasn't frozen, so I suspect a fuse. Wipers function normally apart from when washer fluid is required, in which case - nothing.
So...does anyone have a fuse diagram for the 2011 TD! 2.0 Sport?

tamoshanter

TDI
I'll check then nip to Maplins on the way to my lodgings for the week!
Thanks.
It's the only thing that has happened to this car in a whole year. Unlike the Audi A3 TDi which seemed to limp from one problem to another...

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The summer stuff is usually advertised to contains something to dissolve bugs better.
.... if I lived in MN

.... I would NOT take the bait.

.... that is the BUG bait.

.... easier to wash a BUG, than change a tank of SUMMER fluid, or mess with a frozen tank :mad: .... good grief

.... and yes I "care" about the alcohol on the paint.

.... life is a trade off, then you die:eek:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
.... thanks
No, it was for post #2.
I was typing while you posted!
btw i wont drive with out rainx summer or winter blend. If your paint is getting eaten by it, then your paint was dead already, just waiting to be buried

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
.... I'll bite. :p

.... This ol' Okie has no idea what summer fluid is.

.... or *why* anyone would want it their washer tank.

.... and for reasons just like this.

.... I have seen OkieVille temps way way down there. But I use only one fluid summer and winter.

.... What is the advantage of *summer* fluid?

.... Alcohol on the car paint? -- if so, i'll chance it.

During the summer months at least around here you can purchase washer fluid that is not winterized. Perhaps I should have chosen my words a little better. It says on the bottle +32 degrees vs -25 for the winterized variety.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
..... snip...

If your paint is getting eaten by it, then your paint was dead already, just waiting to be buried

My experience also. I have not had any dead paint since my (then) 11 year old 1966 Chevy Super Sport. As a young 'en had new car, but no GARAGE.