Converting toyota pickup to tdi

tinny tim

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I have a 1991 toyota pickup 2wd, 5 speed with a 22R engine. I also have a 1998 VW Jetta TDI for a donor vehicle. I want to know how hard it is to put the TDI engine into the truck what I will need that I don't already have from the two vehicles. What will I need from the donor vehicle other than the engine. Will the motor mounts work or can I buy ones that will work. Is there enough room for the TDI without making any changes. How does the Toyota cluster(heat, oil gadges) work with the TDI when converting. Do I need the radator and electric fan from the donor or will the Toyota one work. Anyone know these answers or any info on this would be very helpful thank you very much.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
Its pretty hard. :D You need to fabricate the engine mounts, exhaust, intercooler pluming and cooling system (jetta rad will work fine). You also need to fab the exhaust, do an oil filter relocation. You can't buy 75% of the stuff you need to do the swap, most of it has to be made custom.

The cluster is no probem.. you just put the toy senders in the VW engine. The tach on the other hand will need a converter to work.

Check on yotatech, there is a VW TD pickup build going on right now among others.

tinny tim

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I am just getting started on the swap, working on pulling the TDI out of the jetta. Thank you for all the info.