Did it...Malone Stage 2 tune

Rayzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
For anyone considering a tune, I just did one.. was first going for Stage 1 until I learned you can keep the Stock exhaust intact with Stage 2. This has really changed the car.. feels more like a GTI now but with TDI mileage!

Amazing what nothing more than software can do for performance. And regarding mileage, I'm actually seeing an improvement for normal driving.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Ditto, my dmf didnt like a full stage 2 with exhaust, so its trimmed a bit. got it 70k ago and it is working like a champ

Fantasiamon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L TDI
Interesting that you guys have gone Stage 2 Malone with the DPF still. I went 1.5 because I was under the impression Stage 2 with a DPF still was a no no. What did Mark say about Stage 2 with DPF intact?

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk

Anonymous911

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 DBP GTI SE 6MT PP/LP
Interesting that you guys have gone Stage 2 Malone with the DPF still. I went 1.5 because I was under the impression Stage 2 with a DPF still was a no no. What did Mark say about Stage 2 with DPF intact?

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk

Mark said that our ECU has EGT limiter, if it goes over 1700 deg, the ECU itself will pull down the power and cut the fuel line. He has tuned about more than 80% CR TDIs with Stage 2 with DPF intact, and no issues with it so far.

Rayzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I don't have an EGT gauge and was also told the ECU self monitors that and would adjust accordingly. From what I understand, Stage 2 initially recommended a DPF delete but not any more. There is a bit of caution though if your in a hot climate. Getting to 250K miles without a DPF problem is impressive for any diesel!

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Is it really "Stage II" if you don't change the downpipe? Seems to me it's just a higher tweaked Stage I tune...

Rayzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Is it really "Stage II" if you don't change the downpipe? Seems to me it's just a higher tweaked Stage I tune...
According to Malone tuning and the tuner that did it it is... and I damn we'll hope so because that's what I paid for!

From what I understand, it's the same tune but keeps the DPF regen cycle and is tweaked as such for the EGRs remaining in place as well.

Would be interesting to see some dyno specs on the tune keeping the DPF just to know the difference... it's got to be better with a downpipe.

Regardless of the semantics of a tweaked stage 1 or really a stage 2, all I can say is that the car has transformed into something much better than it was.

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
According to Malone tuning and the tuner that did it it is... and I damn we'll hope so because that's what I paid for!
From what I understand, it's the same tune but keeps the DPF regen cycle and is tweaked as such for the EGRs remaining in place as well.
Would be interesting to see some dyno specs on the tune keeping the DPF just to know the difference... it's got to be better with a downpipe.
Regardless of the semantics of a tweaked stage 1 or really a stage 2, all I can say is that the car has transformed into something much better than it was.
Well it might be just the way Malone lists it. Typically going "Stage I" with your car was doing software. Stage II was software with exhaust/intake work. Stage III is those and a bigger turbo, etc etc.

Glad you like the tune. I have the Stage II, but with the delete. No more regens, and the car sounds so much nicer. Plus the turbo isn't getting as hot anymore, which is a huge plus for me.

And I agree, it would be cool to see some comparative dyno sheets of a car with DPF and one without.

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Can you please explain this? Is it because you live where it's hot or do you climb a lot of mountains or something else?
Re-generations are hard on turbos, especially if you shut down your car during one. Without a DPF and re-generations, and having a more free-flowing exhaust installed, your turbo isn't getting worked as hard.

Rayzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
My mileage is better by about 2 mpg with normal driving... and about 2 mpg less when driven hard. This is all according to the MFI - I haven't done a tank fill/mileage check yet.

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Yukon, do you get much smoke with the delete? Are the EGR's still in place?
Only a puff on start up when the motor is cold, but nothing else. LP EGR is gone, HP EGR is still there but tuned out. No more intercooler icing either!

Hwy_Demon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
Malone stage 2 with DPF is like having sex with a condom. Yeah Its sex, but with a condom.

Try it without and prepare to be amazed.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Malone stage 2 with DPF is like having sex with a condom. Yeah Its sex, but with a condom.

Try it without and prepare to be amazed.
Agreed. I've been DPF free for almost the last 80k miles. It's still a blast to drive, especially on the hills without having to downshift.

Rayzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Would love to delete the DPF, but isn't then also necessary to delete the EGR's? If there is a way to delete the DPF and have the OBII based emissions test pass I'll have it off before my next regen!

From what I understand, the EGR's also have to go which means those monitors will be missing and fail the test.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
Would love to delete the DPF, but isn't then also necessary to delete the EGR's? If there is a way to delete the DPF and have the OBII based emissions test pass I'll have it off before my next regen!

From what I understand, the EGR's also have to go which means those monitors will be missing and fail the test.
Depends on year, sometimes all readiness can be retained minus 1. Many states allow 1 to not be ready. Speak with a tuner if it's possible.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
As long as the boss approves, I'll be doing DPF delete with Rawtek hard parts and Malone soft parts next spring. Can't wait!
Not sure if anyone checks this thread, but I'd like to get some updates on your progress. It looks like I'll be going this route in the next month, now that my car is registered (legally) in a state that doesn't test for emissions, and my DPF might have taken a dump on me again.

I have a basic Stage 1 from Neuspeed, and even vs stock, it's a night and day difference. I can only imagine what a stage 2 is like.

Agreed. I've been DPF free for almost the last 80k miles. It's still a blast to drive, especially on the hills without having to downshift.
Did any of y'all get the DSG tune along with the Stage 2?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hello..... I have malone stage 2 tune and DSG tune, it woke up the beast! She has been DPF/EGR deleted and am loving every moment of driving her. She made almost 47-48 mpg with 5 people in the car (2 adults and 3 kids age 12,8,2) and full trunk of bags.

DSG tune is very recommended for stage 2 malone tune.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Question for those with a Malone tune: Can you left foot brake while applying throttle without it cutting power?
I don't think that Malone touches that safety feature... The way around it is foot off throttle, brake, foot on throttle. I have done that successfully doing some heal-toe downshifting blipping the throttle for down shifts while braking.

This is a safety feature because if the throttle is stuck down you can apply the brakes and the car will then cut the throttle entirely.

Last edited:

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
Did any of y'all get the DSG tune along with the Stage 2?
There is a torque limiter built into the software so a DSG tune is needed to get the full potential of a stage 2 tune.

Question for those with a Malone tune: Can you left foot brake while applying throttle without it cutting power?
With a DSG tune, launch control is added but no power available with brake applied while in motion.

Last edited:

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Been tuned and deleted for 60K miles and the car is amazing. 45MPG all day long driving it like I stole it. Probably 50/50 hwy/city...

GTISMKR

TDI
2014 JSW
With a DSG tune, launch control is added but no power available with brake applied while in motion.
From what I've read, left foot braking is part of the ECU tune, rather than the DSG tune. I already have the DSG tune, which I like for the most part, but would really like that feature. Apparently it was a common tuning defeat with the MKiV.

So, can anyone with a Malone tune on their MkV check to see if throttle gets cut when braking simultaneously?

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
I checked and fuel does get cut off when brake is applied on my 2012 MKVI with Malone tune.

If I used my Golf as a track car, it would be nice to be able to hit the brake and accelerator simultaneously to add boost.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
The only thing I'm undecided on for tuning is the DPF delete kit - rawtek or buzzken. And I'm pretty new to exhaust, so other than recommendations, I'm not sure if I need a resonator, catback, or both. I don't want the sound to be annoying. I'm also contemplating jumping right up to a Stage 3 with another turbo, but still not yet sure.

On fuel economy - what did y'all get before getting the Stage 2? I've been getting around 29-34mpg average (cracked or clogged DPF, cruise control on highways, speed being 65-75mph).