www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old February 10th, 2015, 01:22   #31
ARO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44-51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHTurbo View Post
I just installed a Westfalia hitch on my 05 MK4 Sedan.

I couldn't bring myself to pay for the connectors to plug into the tail light bulb holders for a splice-free installation.

VW wants $18 alone just for the 1 pin connector! Part 191972701

I bought a MK3 Jetta trunk light harness for $22 shipped from eBay. It has 3 of the 3-pin connectors, 2 of the 1-pin connectors, and several 2-pin connectors that won't be needed (but I think they might be useful for a Passat owner). And it has the pins/wiring already so I didn't need to buy any of those repair kits that come with the yellow wire with the pin on the end.

Hope this helps someone else save a few bucks!
Is this the harness on ebay???
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trunk-Wiring...0224a5&vxp=mtr
I only need the connectors, so I can do the electrical for trailer hitch, on my MK4 Jetta. Thanks

Last edited by ARO; February 10th, 2015 at 01:24. Reason: Misspelled
ARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 07:53   #32
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARO View Post
Is this the harness on ebay???
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trunk-Wiring...0224a5&vxp=mtr
I only need the connectors, so I can do the electrical for trailer hitch, on my MK4 Jetta. Thanks
Aro, have you checked out the recycling yards in Sacramento? The Pick-N-Pull has MK3 Jettas as do the Rancho Cordova, Rocklin and Stockton locations.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 09:04   #33
ARO
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Aro, have you checked out the recycling yards in Sacramento? The Pick-N-Pull has MK3 Jettas as do the Rancho Cordova, Rocklin and Stockton locations.
Romad, I will defiantly check next time I go to Rancho Cordova. There are a few VW specific junkyards there....
I just figured it's easier to just buy it off ebay.
Old February 10th, 2015, 09:32   #34
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Romad, I will defiantly check next time I go to Rancho Cordova. There are a few VW specific junkyards there....
I just figured it's easier to just buy it off ebay.
Where in Sacto are you? The Stockton Blvd (7600 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento, CA 9582) Pick-N-Pull has several MK3 Jettas.

The fleet:
Old February 10th, 2015, 10:04   #35
ARO
Veteran Member

Quote:
Where in Sacto are you? The Stockton Blvd (7600 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento, CA 9582) Pick-N-Pull has several MK3 Jettas.
Thanks. I live between downtown Sac and the SMF airport. But I am trucking thru Arizona now. I'll go to Pick-N-Pull when I get back home in a few days....
Old February 10th, 2015, 10:20   #36
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks. I live between downtown Sac and the SMF airport. But I am trucking thru Arizona now. I'll go to Pick-N-Pull when I get back home in a few days....
North Natomas? My sister lives there. I just checked for an AZ location but there are none. Here is the website if you want to check for locations near your route: http://www.picknpull.com/locations.aspx

The fleet:
Old February 11th, 2015, 10:55   #37
ARO
Veteran Member

Quote:
North Natomas? My sister lives there. I just checked for an AZ location but there are none. Here is the website if you want to check for locations near your route: http://www.picknpull.com/locations.aspx
Yes, that's right, North Natomas!
It is quite hard for me to park a semi truck at the junkyards along the way so, I'll just go to Rancho Cordova when I get back home, I am sure I'll find what I need, there are plenty VW junkyards there.
Thanks
Old March 25th, 2015, 14:26   #38
SFHGolfTDI
Veteran Member

Herm and Romad, and others who have done this. Where are folks locating the converter box? Spare tire well? Driver side by amp? It seems it would also make sense to put it on the right/passenger side since it is close to the power port? Also, any links to quality cig lighter socket plugs that you have used?
Front end swap (Jolf), GTI tails, heated GTI leathers, GLI steering wheel, aluminum trim, center console w/cupholders, homelink visor, SGII, front/rear fogs, remote windows, 35% ceramic tint, Q5/Touareg rear wiper, roof rack, vented, PD engine cover mounts, Fumoto F106SW, panzer skid, Bilstein HDs, mudflaps, Conti PureContacts, custom 2" class II hitch. Kerma tuning. VCDS available (K-II USB).
SFHGolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 15:00   #39
romad
Veteran Member

Mine is on the LEFT side in the foam shelf where the CD changer would go. I open the cover, pull out the power plug and plug it into the power port then I close the cover.

The fleet:
Old March 25th, 2015, 15:02   #40
SFHGolfTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Mine is on the LEFT side in the foam shelf where the CD changer would go. I open the cover, pull out the power plug and plug it into the power port then I close the cover.
So you pull the power cord all the way to the other side of the trunk? In my Golf, the outlet is on the passenger side by the trunk light. Is that similar for the wagon?
Front end swap (Jolf), GTI tails, heated GTI leathers, GLI steering wheel, aluminum trim, center console w/cupholders, homelink visor, SGII, front/rear fogs, remote windows, 35% ceramic tint, Q5/Touareg rear wiper, roof rack, vented, PD engine cover mounts, Fumoto F106SW, panzer skid, Bilstein HDs, mudflaps, Conti PureContacts, custom 2" class II hitch. Kerma tuning. VCDS available (K-II USB).
Old March 25th, 2015, 15:12   #41
romad
Veteran Member

No, in the wagon, the power outlet is on the left (driver's) side. Thus all my connections (except for right turn signal) are to the left taillight assembly. You could use the right taillight assembly (except for the left turn signal) for the connections. Is there a storage cubby on the right side of your Golf? My wagon has one there.

See the last 5 pictures here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...&postcount=335

The fleet:
Old March 25th, 2015, 15:18   #42
SFHGolfTDI
Veteran Member

Interesting. That is a difference between the two models. There is an access hole for the passenger side light, but the "cubby" is still on the driver side, along with the amp and where the cd changer would fit. I'll have to have a look at it and see where it would be best located for the cleanest wiring setup.
Old March 27th, 2015, 07:35   #43
romad
Veteran Member

My wagon has a cubby on the right side also; it is where the first aid kit (mandatory in Germany) is to be stored and is marked with the green cross on white disc. I use it for my fuel additive storage. Oh, the left side cubby is marked with the red triangle on white disc symbol for the warning triangle (again, mandatory in Germany); the warning triangle I brought back from my last tour in Germany (1984-88) is too big to fit!

The fleet:
Old May 5th, 2015, 16:06   #44
SFHGolfTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just found a "cheaper" Curt powered adapter:

Curt 56187 3 to 2 Wire Power Converter

From the description at the Curt website, this one handles 7.5 watts/ circuit while the other model only handles 6 watts. I've asked Curt for more info.
Romad, which power converter did you end up using? I'm hoping to get a custom hitch installed soon (using euro hitch mount through frame rail, but will be 2" receiver) and need to build my harness.
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:14   #45
romad
Veteran Member

I ended up using this one: Curt 56146 SMD Trailer Wire Converter It is now about $7.50 cheaper than when I bought it in March 2013 and is now cheaper than the other one. Oh, the reason I went with the 56146 is in post#14 above.

The fleet: